Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Singlespeed & Fixed Gear (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=178)
-   -   Sliding Dropouts Problem (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1068916)

bjeffwoff 06-19-16 10:10 AM

Sliding Dropouts Problem

2 Attachment(s)
Ok so this is a problem i've had after converting to fixed gear, I've been riding it for 2 years now without much issue until i converted it to a fixed gear about a year ago. If i apply too much pressure then i basically pull the the wheel towards me and it goes into the frame. I have no way of tightening the screws other than by the 2 hex bolts. I've almost considered gluing a bolt in there as a stopper.. I checked tuggnuts but i doubt they will work here.
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=528134

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=528133

TejanoTrackie 06-19-16 11:07 AM

Maybe you could drill a hole though the right side of the frame, then tap the adjustable dropout plate to accept a bolt to act as a stop. Of course, as the chain stretches it will get too slack, so you will have to replace the chain frequently.

Scrodzilla 06-19-16 11:33 AM

Riding fixed doesn't place any more forward pressure on the drivetrain - and in this case, the rear dropouts - than riding single speed.

cDiff Notorious 06-19-16 11:35 AM

Maybe these can help.

Stainless steel rear axle washer

SquidPuppet 06-19-16 11:42 AM

What size are those bolts? They look big enough to be really cranked down on with no problems.

79pmooney 06-19-16 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by SquidPuppet (Post 18856250)
What size are those bolts? They look big enough to be really cranked down on with no problems.

That's an aluminum frame, isn't it? There are limits to what the frame threads can take. (I might think about drilling out those holes and using longer high quality bolts and huts + lockwashers on the wheel side if it were my bike and I really wanted to ride fixed.)

You have probably already thought of this, but you have taken de-geaser (or strong detergent) and cleaned the surfaces of both the frame and the dropout mating surfaces I trust.

Ben

SquidPuppet 06-19-16 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by 79pmooney (Post 18856295)
That's an aluminum frame, isn't it? There are limits to what the frame threads can take. (I might think about drilling out those holes and using longer high quality bolts and huts + lockwashers on the wheel side if it were my bike and I really wanted to ride fixed.)

You have probably already thought of this, but you have taken de-geaser (or strong detergent) and cleaned the surfaces of both the frame and the dropout mating surfaces I trust.

Ben

I'd like to believe (HOPE) that the sliding plate is steel.

bjeffwoff 06-19-16 12:44 PM

yeah it's steel. And alu frame. I could always try cleaning it up again and see if that helps, Norway is sloppy as hell so my bikes get dirty a lot. I'll also check out those washers, could help reduce friction a bit right?

bjeffwoff 06-19-16 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by SquidPuppet (Post 18856250)

One would think so.

SquidPuppet 06-19-16 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by bjeffwoff (Post 18856336)
yeah it's steel. And alu frame. I could always try cleaning it up again and see if that helps, Norway is sloppy as hell so my bikes get dirty a lot. I'll also check out those washers, could help reduce friction a bit right?

You'd want to INcrease the friction, wouldn't you?

bjeffwoff 06-19-16 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by SquidPuppet (Post 18856341)
You'd want to INcrease the friction, wouldn't you?

yeah sorry, my english isn't up to par lately!

CliffordK 06-19-16 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by bjeffwoff (Post 18856336)
I'll also check out those washers, could help reduce friction a bit right?

I think the idea is to increase friction under the bolts.

I've been trying to think if there was something to put between the frame and the dropout to increase friction. You could try putting in a piece of emery cloth between the parts. I'm not sure if it would increase friction, or give the effect of 1000 bearings, but at least it would be worth a try.

SquidPuppet 06-19-16 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by CliffordK (Post 18856365)
I think the idea is to increase friction under the bolts.

I've been trying to think if there was something to put between the frame and the dropout to increase friction. You could try putting in a piece of emery cloth between the parts. I'm not sure if it would increase friction, or give the effect of 1000 bearings, but at least it would be worth a try.

Carbon assembly paste**********??

CliffordK 06-19-16 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by SquidPuppet (Post 18856398)
Carbon assembly paste**********??

It would be worth trying. Just not a lube.
Even Loctite Red.

If it doesn't work, clean it out and try something else.

bjeffwoff 06-19-16 01:40 PM

yeah i'll definately try loctite.

BeboSaab 06-19-16 03:43 PM

You can try a flanged nut under the bolts, it's a cheap fix only 2 bucks and I've never seen a wheel slip that way.

If its a nice single speed get the dura ace nuts and clamp them down with a torque wrench. If it's just whatever try the flanged nuts.

I'd go with the flanged nuts, it's not elegant looking but the wheel just does not slip no matter what.

CliffordK 06-19-16 03:46 PM

As I understand the problem, it is not the wheel that is slipping, but rather the dropout is slipping.

lubes17319 06-20-16 11:01 AM

Be sure the surface between the frame & dropout do not have any paint.
I had to sand off paint on the inside of a frame in that area a few yrs ago to keep this from happening, after that all went well.

TimothyH 06-20-16 01:43 PM

The right washer under the two hex bolt heads might help increase the surface area gripped by the the bolts.

Would also protect the aluminum frame.

bjeffwoff 06-23-16 11:51 AM

Some really great tips here guys! Can't wait to get out there and try a combination of all of these. Cheers!