Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Triathlon (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=191)
-   -   Props to anyone who can actually run after the ride (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=432560)

SpongeDad 06-22-08 02:25 PM

Props to anyone who can actually run after the ride

My brother and college room mate did the Philly Sprint Triathlon relay yesterday. I now understand. I damn near planted my face on the pavement when I got off my bike and tried to run back to T2. Legs were like limp sponges.

Flak 06-22-08 06:23 PM

You get used to it :)

Raerfani 06-22-08 08:31 PM

Haha, I'm so naive to this. I keep on telling myself that it will be fine. My first tri is in a few moths so we'll see. :D

fsr402 06-23-08 08:49 AM

With every brick workout I do it get's better. Just keep doing it and you will be fine.

StanSeven 06-23-08 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by fsr402 (Post 6929359)
With every brick workout I do it get's better. Just keep doing it and you will be fine.

Yep. One bit of advice somebody gave me a long time ago that works is really spin that last half mile. It helps transition to the run.

roadie gal 06-23-08 08:53 AM

You've got to save something for the run. If you blow it all on the ride you'll pitch over face first when you try to run.

You also have to practice those bricks, like fsr402 said.

az_cyclist 06-23-08 03:31 PM

Before my first tri I l was told my legs would feel strange for the first part of the run. In training bricks I would say that is the case for about the first quarter to half mile. Then I was able to feel a good stride. My last tri had a trail run for the first 2 miles, the second mile being a lot of hill climbing. that took a lot out of me.

SpongeDad 06-23-08 07:41 PM

what's a "brick" wrt to triathlons?

Mphetameme 06-25-08 10:53 AM

Bricks refer to training two disciplines in one workout.

feartec 06-26-08 01:48 AM

Thanks for the props! ;-)

bspurrie 06-27-08 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by SpongeDad (Post 6933596)
what's a "brick" wrt to triathlons?

The most popular bricks are bike to run bricks. Typically after your long ride of the week without much delay go for a run like you would in a tri. When I train for the olympic distance a 40 mile ride followed by a 5 mile run is my most common brick. And they are right the more you do the better. Also +1 on spinning the last 1/2 mile, works for me as well.

mrmcmasty 07-01-08 02:13 PM

Spinning?

I have seen the term "spinning" used in this thread twice... what is spinning?

and thanks for for the definition on "brick"

new-b

Tom Stormcrowe 07-01-08 04:50 PM

Spinning is riding fast in a lower gear with a high cadence. That was all that saved me from a face plant when I started off the bike to transition for the run stage, and I went to my area with a hobble and a wobble on my jello legs powered by baby chick just hatched out of the egg muscles. :p

KyleKranz 07-04-08 11:10 AM

I always find it easier to run after riding then to just do a solo run. I did a ride with my cycling team yesterday and went out for a great 6 mile run.

kuf 07-07-08 12:14 AM

I like to do a few backwards spins before I get off the bike, to prep my legs a bit. Get a little bit of different movement going there, after my legs have been so used to doing a certain action for so long.