Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=220)
-   -   Riding with hearing aids (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1002712)

Pistard 04-10-15 05:34 PM

Riding with hearing aids

I have been riding with hearing aids for Years, usually cover my ears with a head scarve helmet over it, to avoid wind noise.
now I am on to ordering new ones, however I am only used to half shell types, wondering about the behind the ear ones, any preference?

Marlin 04-10-15 06:48 PM

I used to have to cover my ears with something to cut down the wind noise, and I didn't wear them if I expected to perspire a lot, or get rained on.

I have been riding with Siemens Aquaris behind the ear aids for about a year. These are digital aids. Also water proof, dust proof and shockproof. Wind noise has been no problem. I only occasionally notice it if the wind is just right (or wrong) but this is unusual. I don't worry about perspiration or getting caught in the rain. And they are much better and a little cheaper than the first pair, which had none of these features.

I can highly recommend them.

sam21fire 04-12-15 10:26 PM

The Aquarius sound great..I'll have to ask the VA about them when I come due for replacements.

I usually just take mine out; the 'static' noise from the digital pickups isn't too bad but I sweat a lot and use sunscreen and don't want to risk damaging the aids. I can hear well enough without them to hear traffic but I understand if the aids make your ride significantly safer.

BobbyG 04-13-15 07:10 AM

I notice many young people riding with fully enclosed headphones to shut out all external sound and noise....(humor).

Pathfinder27 04-13-15 07:21 AM

I have the ReSound Linx 9 hearing aids that are controlled by my iPhone. I usually don't wear them when I ride for many of the same reasons listed above, sweat, water, wind noise etc. I wore them once on a longer ride in an area where I was unfamiliar and I could listen to the turn by turn directions from my phone via bluetooth. It was a pretty handy feature but I don't think I'll wear them when I ride anymore.

Camilo 04-13-15 07:04 PM

I'm not familiar with various type of hearing aids, but my friend wears some. He got new ones about 9 or 10 months ago. They're tiny little things with just a little wire or tube into the ear. If that puts it in perspective.

He was complaining about wind noise and I loaned him a set of Cat Ears "classic" style that I'd bought (to reduce wind noise when I listen to music on the bike). He liked them so much, I gave them to him.

You might try them. They're cheap and easy to use, no fussing once you get them installed on your helmet straps.

NOS88 04-13-15 07:42 PM

Because of damage from sweat I've had hearing aids replaced six times. Two different companies will no longer replace them. I've tried numerous ways to protect them, but haven't found anything that will work. I no longer wear them when I ride.

Bikey Mikey 04-14-15 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by NOS88 (Post 17716766)
Because of damage from sweat I've had hearing aids replaced six times. Two different companies will no longer replace them. I've tried numerous ways to protect them, but haven't found anything that will work. I no longer wear them when I ride.

NOS, maybe you should look into the Siemens Aquarius Hearing Aids mentioned below. Just Google them...they look pricey though.

Originally Posted by Marlin (Post 17709007)
I used to have to cover my ears with something to cut down the wind noise, and I didn't wear them if I expected to perspire a lot, or get rained on.

I have been riding with Siemens Aquaris behind the ear aids for about a year. These are digital aids. Also water proof, dust proof and shockproof. Wind noise has been no problem. I only occasionally notice it if the wind is just right (or wrong) but this is unusual. I don't worry about perspiration or getting caught in the rain. And they are much better and a little cheaper than the first pair, which had none of these features.

I can highly recommend them.

As it nears the time I really need to have hearing aids, I think I'll go with this:

LOL
https://graysdeafblog.files.wordpres...8/ear-horn.jpg

SlowSpinner 04-14-15 09:25 PM

Choices? Ruin expensive hearing aids with sweat or get hit by car? Is it true that you never hear the car that gets you, kinda like you never hear the shot that kills you?

NOS88 04-15-15 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by SlowSpinner (Post 17720451)
Choices? Ruin expensive hearing aids with sweat or get hit by car? Is it true that you never hear the car that gets you, kinda like you never hear the shot that kills you?

It's one of the reasons I wear a helmet mirror. I'm guessing folks who are deaf have also figured out how to keep safe. It would be quite sad if that were not the case.

NOS88 04-15-15 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey (Post 17719701)
NOS, maybe you should look into the Siemens Aquarius Hearing Aids mentioned below. Just Google them...they look pricey though.

As it nears the time I really need to have hearing aids, I think I'll go with this:

LOL
https://graysdeafblog.files.wordpres...8/ear-horn.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion. This is one of the models that have been damaged. There is no "water proof" hearing aid. There are those that are more resistant to moisture, but not water proof. I'm actually fine with reduced hearing while riding. It has meant a new style of riding with more scanning and glances into my mirror, but that's not a bad thing.

Pistard 04-21-15 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by NOS88 (Post 17723250)
It's one of the reasons I wear a helmet mirror. I'm guessing folks who are deaf have also figured out how to keep safe. It would be quite sad if that were not the case.

Definitly a mirror as an additional safety feature +1