Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Bicycle Mechanics (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Looking for stencils for painting frame...no not flower stencils :) (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1010637)

imobilinpedalus 05-27-15 02:23 PM

Looking for stencils for painting frame...no not flower stencils :)

Brand specifics, any place i can download these things & make my own stencils? I have a Diamant bike i need to recreate some logos etc. Is there such a website that caters for these things? If so please tell me ! Thankyou..

fietsbob 05-27-15 03:02 PM

Get a Sharp Knife* and Make Your own down load the font you like and cut out around the letters .

*A stencil cutting tool will be easy to rotate to make the corners and curves... text and pictures, say Like Banksy

https://www.google.com/search?q=Bank...w=1808&bih=959

dsbrantjr 05-27-15 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by fietsbob (Post 17842540)
Get a Sharp Knife* and Make Your own down load the font you like and cut out around the letters .

*A stencil cutting tool will be easy to rotate to make the corners and curves

Swivel Knife: Amazon.com - Fiskars Fingertip Swivel Knife - Paper Cutting Tools

Or do a Web search on "bicycle restoration decals" Here's the first two hits: VeloCals vintage bicycle decals - Thin transfers - waterslide - dry transfer CYCLOMONDO - BICYCLE RESTORATION DECALS

Camilo 05-27-15 05:15 PM

Are you looking for stencils or stickers / decals?

dsbrantjr 05-28-15 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by Camilo (Post 17842962)
Are you looking for stencils or stickers / decals?

It would seem to me that as the OP wants to duplicate logos that decals are the way to go. Perhaps the meaning suffered in translation from Norwegian, although generally the English spoken there is better than in the US IMO.

imobilinpedalus 05-28-15 01:28 PM

Hello again folks, bit of a case of draggin` ass lately so sorry for the slow response. What my intents are, well i would like to make a few stencils from say a piece of A-4 paper that have the "correct" logos printed on. I suppose the idea is to cut out the letters and use the remaining paper as stencils. I don`t adhere very well to the whole sticker idea, not to mention i`ve already bought a spray paint / rattle
can for this purpose. I just need somewhere online where i can find the logos etc. and print them and the rest i can fix myself. I do some other crafting hobbies, so i do have a revolving/swiveling hobby blade type of thing which sounds about right for this type of scenario :)

Thanks for the links on bicycle restoration, "dsbrantjr" !

Bjoern in Norway

gmm213 05-28-15 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by dsbrantjr (Post 17843937)
Perhaps the meaning suffered in translation from Norwegian, although generally the English spoken there is better than in the US IMO.

Why don't these forums have a like button

Originally Posted by imobilinpedalus (Post 17845517)
Hello again folks, bit of a case of draggin` ass lately so sorry for the slow response. What my intents are, well i would like to make a few stencils from say a piece of A-4 paper that have the "correct" logos printed on. I suppose the idea is to cut out the letters and use the remaining paper as stencils. I don`t adhere very well to the whole sticker idea, not to mention i`ve already bought a spray paint / rattle
can for this purpose. I just need somewhere online where i can find the logos etc. and print them and the rest i can fix myself. I do some other crafting hobbies, so i do have a revolving/swiveling hobby blade type of thing which sounds about right for this type of scenario :)

Thanks for the links on bicycle restoration, "dsbrantjr" !

Bjoern in Norway

I honestly think painted would look better than a sticker/decal. Though It may not hold up as well.

fietsbob 05-28-15 01:40 PM

... then Ideally, a clear coat is applied Next.

I'd cut stencils out of Card stock or slightly heavier .

imobilinpedalus 05-28-15 01:44 PM

It`s going to be a case of atomizing fumes in a dark purple color tone. No stickers. Here`s something in the ballpark of what i am looking for.
The actual "Diamant" logo is the one i am (was) looking for so i suppose i can print that one....god willing. Those letters may also come in
handy..

Diamant ? The Club Design

Sure, i was getting to that fietsbob..

Scratcher09 05-29-15 12:11 AM

Card stock is too thick. It will be difficult to cut and it will not easily conform to the round tubing of the frame. You can use light weight craft paper, typing paper, or even tracing paper as stencil material. Make sure to use a new blade when cutting because any ragged edges will translate into the paint. I will attach a picture of something I airbrushed for a client. the two figures are free handed but the writing is stenciled with light weight craft paper. Because of the wear and tear most bikes endure, I would advise you to clear with a catalyzed (2 component or 2K) clear. Even if you don't have the equipment, 2K clear in a spray can is available on line or at some automotive paint supply shops. The 2 parts are separated in the can until you activate it--then you have about an hour to use it. You can get great results that will be so much more durable and longer lasting. And do not underestimate the value of prep work!

http://i983.photobucket.com/albums/a...830f583c82.jpg

dsaul 05-29-15 03:58 AM

If you can get a PDF of the design, a sign shop or anyone with a vinyl plotter can cut the design out of adhesive material that you can use for either positive or negative masking. My local sign/printing shop cuts my paint masks for me.

dsbrantjr 05-29-15 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by dsaul (Post 17847140)
If you can get a PDF of the design, a sign shop or anyone with a vinyl plotter can cut the design out of adhesive material that you can use for either positive or negative masking. My local sign/printing shop cuts my paint masks for me.

+1 I think vinyl masking will give a lot better edge definition than paper.

Scratcher09 05-29-15 06:00 AM

I forgot to add that I spray a very light coat of spray adhesive to get the back of the paper tacky. I've used this method for years. If you print out the logo, it is easy to cut the printed logo out of the paper you printed on. Some people use a sign shop as stated above, but I can't justify paying for what I can do for free. Also, some brands vinyl use an adhesive that leaves residue that can contaminate your clear coat. I've had to fix other people's work because of this problem more than once. But that depends on the vinyl used. Some pros know what brand works for them without problems.

imobilinpedalus 05-30-15 05:29 AM

Well i`m back. I tried to print the "DIAMANT" logos to specification, but the paint program i used to edit the size could not give me the size i needed for the main logo. So...i placed a plain A-4 paper on top of the screen and secured it with tape. Freehand sketching the logo after resizing it. Seemed to do the trick. The other smaller logos on the fork and on the rear frame came out perfect sizes though. I totally agree cardstock is absurd. It would certainly not conform to the frame as easy as with thinner mediums. I was playing with the idea of trying coke
in an atomizer to spray the back of the stencils. This will hopefully suffice and should easily clean off after the paint has dried. I`m by no means a computer wiz, but i will try to post a pic of the finished product if this is one of those forums one can easily upload images ;-)

I do have some rolls of clear adhesive foil. Perhaps this is a viable alternative ??

Say, "Scratcher09" i have been fantasizing about something similar to a two component epoxy that dries clear for use on 1:1 projects that seals shut the finish. If this is what i think it is, this will for sure be worth a million dollars for me. Wow, some links i beg of you ::::))))

Bjoern in Norway

Scratcher09 05-30-15 07:31 AM

2K Aero-Spray? Paints ? Aerosol Paints & Coatings - Eastwood

imobilinpedalus 05-30-15 11:56 AM

hot diggedy dang! I owe you one, "Scratcher09" :)

BTW, great looking bonnet. I`d like to pop that hood to see what lies within, LOL : )