Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Tax Refund=New Bike...what do you think? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=504046)

metalchef87 01-20-09 10:02 PM

Tax Refund=New Bike...what do you think?

A very good friend of mine owns a bike shop near me, and I almost always go to him for purchases...his shop is where I bought my Marin Muirwoods commuter bike, which I am very happy with.

I am looking to get on a mid level road bike, and he sells KHS brand bikes. He has offered me a discount on a 2008 KHS Flite 500, which he normally sells for a little over a grand, for 700 dollars. I have researched them and they seem like good bikes, but I can't get a review online anywhere...

It has carbon chain stays, fork, and seat post...the rest is double butted aluminum. I am going to test ride tomorrow probably, but I won't purchase until I get my tax refund.

What do you guys think of this bike?

http://www.khsbicycles.com/05_flite_500_08.htm

huytheskigod 01-20-09 11:06 PM

Tax Refund = Pay Off Credit cards and put towards wedding if there is anything left.

urbanknight 01-20-09 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by huytheskigod (Post 8219055)
Tax Refund = Pay Off Credit cards and put towards wedding if there is anything left.

+1 coming from someone who did just that and still had to put half his wedding on credit.

Beaker 01-20-09 11:16 PM

Tax Refund = I.O.U. if you live in CA

Sprocket Man 01-20-09 11:18 PM

Sounds like a good deal. One thing you may want to consider - Tektro brakes don't come with very good pads. Upgrade to Kool-Stops and you should be fine. It's a very inexpensive upgrade.

Congratulations on your weight loss - that's quite a feat!

dysFTP 01-20-09 11:27 PM

I think that, since you are into loaning your money out interest-free, next year you should loan it to me.

urbanknight 01-20-09 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Beaker (Post 8219097)

I know :( Funny, too, because they charge you a $2 "fee" if you owe them money (because they didn't get to make interest off of it) but I doubt they will give you any compensation for keeping your money. I wish I could send them my return with an invoice for $2 extra :D

blankgen 01-21-09 12:04 AM

I have that bike and I don't have any complaints. Although if I could go back in time I would have saved up $1200-ish and bought a bike with at least a 105 groupset. Unfortunately I didn't realize that I would take to road cycling as much as I did so I chose not to spend that much on my first new bike.:(

http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/4310/bike019hs7.jpg

I don't want to offer too much of a review because I have so little to compare it to but feel free to ask any specific questions that you might have.

dmotoguy 01-21-09 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by dysFTP (Post 8219141)
I think that, since you are into loaning your money out interest-free, next year you should loan it to me.

:cry::cry::cry:
You do realize people are buying negative yield treasury bills right?

I give ~$20 more on each paycheck than claiming 0 so I dont spend it on bike shwagg... if more americans did that.. or other forms of actually saving money we would have a lot less problems.

blacksquid 01-21-09 01:07 AM

Of course this only applies to your state return.

for now!

captnfantastic 01-21-09 01:37 AM

for an entry level bike it looks good. I have heard fine things about the microshift shifters. for 500 with that much carbon go for it.

neospazzy 01-21-09 01:51 AM

Tax Refund = Bike shwag = Good for the economy

Unless you are drowning in debt and/or losing your home to foreclosure, save up a bit more like the others have said and get a bike with at least a 105 group. Don't want to sound like such a shill here, but do look at Bikes Direct. For the same amount of money, you can get a much better bike with better components. If you can save up just an additional $195 on top of that $700, you can get one of these.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/.../falkirkIX.htm

I personally think the specs on this bike is far better than the KHS offering AND you get Ultegra! Free shipping and no sales tax. Both my bikes are mail order too and I love em!

rooftest 01-21-09 02:09 AM

That's just the rumor, but only covers your California State Income tax (not Federal). You'll still get your Federal money.

metalchef87 01-21-09 08:21 PM

How much would it be to just replace the stock stuff with 105 or Ultrega, or better yet Dura Ace?

MIN 01-21-09 08:24 PM

Bernanke approves of your choice. Spend spend spend.

::Goes to stash cash savings under bed.::

dmb2786 01-21-09 08:27 PM

I wouldn't. It's been said, but I would try to get something with 105 or even full tiagra.

metalchef87 01-21-09 08:35 PM

What is the reasoning behind wanting 105 or even full tiagra? Is there anything wrong with the flite 500 set up?

Sprocket Man 01-21-09 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by metalchef87 (Post 8224376)
What is the reasoning behind wanting 105 or even full tiagra? Is there anything wrong with the flite 500 set up?

This is something you need to experience yourself. Ask your friend if you can try out a few of the bikes in his shop so you can feel the difference. Then you can decide if it's money well spent.

invwnut 01-21-09 08:40 PM

I have a 2002 KHS flight 500. I perfectly think that it is worth the money for entry level. My bike is still going strong for only having Sora stuff. It shifts well for a triple crank. It is what got me to buy a higher end bike. I plan to upgrade my components on the KHS because I love the feel of the steel and it is a basic classic design. It will be my heavy fun thrasher bike.

dmb2786 01-21-09 08:40 PM

I don't know. I've never tried anything but 105 (except for two very brief occasions), but I might be worried about reliability if your plan on really riding this thing.

halfspeed 01-21-09 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by neo****zy (Post 8219490)
Tax Refund = Bike shwag = Good for the economy

Unless you are drowning in debt and/or losing your home to foreclosure, save up a bit more like the others have said and get a bike with at least a 105 group. Don't want to sound like such a shill here, but do look at Bikes Direct. For the same amount of money, you can get a much better bike with better components. If you can save up just an additional $195 on top of that $700, you can get one of these.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/.../falkirkIX.htm

I personally think the specs on this bike is far better than the KHS offering AND you get Ultegra! Free shipping and no sales tax. Both my bikes are mail order too and I love em!

Wrong answer for a n00b with a good LBS.

Originally Posted by metalchef87 (Post 8218740)
A very good friend of mine owns a bike shop near me, and I almost always go to him for purchases...his shop is where I bought my Marin Muirwoods commuter bike, which I am very happy with.

I am looking to get on a mid level road bike, and he sells KHS brand bikes. He has offered me a discount on a 2008 KHS Flite 500, which he normally sells for a little over a grand, for 700 dollars. I have researched them and they seem like good bikes, but I can't get a review online anywhere...

It has carbon chain stays, fork, and seat post...the rest is double butted aluminum. I am going to test ride tomorrow probably, but I won't purchase until I get my tax refund.

What do you guys think of this bike?

http://www.khsbicycles.com/05_flite_500_08.htm

I'm underwhelmed at that price. The carbon seatpost is probably carbon-wrapped aluminum which is more cosmetic than functional. Carbon stays are a bit gimicky as well. The components are all pretty generic. See what he can do for you on a Flite 720.

metalchef87 01-21-09 09:05 PM

Well I have around 700 dollars to spend...what do you recommend?

halfspeed 01-21-09 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by metalchef87 (Post 8224560)
Well I have around 700 dollars to spend...what do you recommend?

Go test ride bikes like the Trek 1.2 and the base model Specialized Allez. They actually MSRP less than the KHS and are comparable. If you like the KHS better and love the shop that sells it, buy it.

metalchef87 01-21-09 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by halfspeed (Post 8224628)
Go test ride bikes like the Trek 1.2 and the base model Specialized Allez. They actually MSRP less than the KHS and are comparable. If you like the KHS better and love the shop that sells it, buy it.

Good advice I suppose....I'll go test ride next week.

Beaker 01-21-09 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by blacksquid (Post 8219447)
Of course this only applies to your state return.

for now!

Originally Posted by rooftest (Post 8219510)
That's just the rumor, but only covers your California State Income tax (not Federal). You'll still get your Federal money.

Yeah - aware of that, but I'm with the other poster - I don't like to make a habit of giving the state a long term interest free loan.