Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Eye irritation and gravel cycling? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1204300)

wheelsmcgee 06-10-20 09:36 PM

Eye irritation and gravel cycling?

Anyone else have any problems with gravel dust causing eye redness and irritation? It’s definitely a thing with me. Today I was out for 2 hours...not super long, but it was dusty, windy, and I got passed a few times...by the end of the ride I probably looked like Tommy Chong in cycling kit. It doesn’t seem to be bad when it’s rained recently, but we’re going through a dry spell.

Any solutions? The best I can come up with is to try some foam-lined goggles (I already wear sunglasses).

(edit: finished a sentence)

Bigbus 06-10-20 09:41 PM

I have allergies, but luckily dust isn't one of them. If you don't steam them up, snow goggles would work in addition to a bandanna or particle mask over your nose and mouth.

wirides 06-10-20 09:45 PM

I've been dealing with a terrible dry eye issue and, among other things, bought some glasses from 7eye and they changed my world. They have a demo / fitting program that worked out well for me. Maybe it will help?

https://7eye.com

pbass 06-10-20 09:58 PM

I wear prescription Oakley cycling shades that have a good wrap-around. Changed everything for me. Before I was just wearing whatever sunglasses I had, and the dry dusty air would just whip around those suckers--my eyes would be watering on some sketchy sections! Got mine at SportRX:
https://www.sportrx.com/shopby/best_...tain_bike.html

wheelsmcgee 06-11-20 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Bigbus (Post 21527296)
I have allergies, but luckily dust isn't one of them. If you don't steam them up, snow goggles would work in addition to a bandanna or particle mask over your nose and mouth.

Yea, not a bad idea. I if I’m going to be out a really long time, I’ll wear a buff (for sun protection, but also pull it over my face for dust if needed). If I can keep sweat out, my current glasses keep pretty dry (at least in warm weather), but i don’t have much experience with goggles.

Originally Posted by wirides (Post 21527299)
I've been dealing with a terrible dry eye issue and, among other things, bought some glasses from 7eye and they changed my world. They have a demo / fitting program that worked out well for me. Maybe it will help?

https://7eye.com

Thanks, which “level” of protection did you go with (airsheild, airdam, lifestyle)? I was thinking of something like the air shield, but it might be overkill. Is fog or sweat and issue?

Originally Posted by pbass (Post 21527320)
I wear prescription Oakley cycling shades that have a good wrap-around. Changed everything for me. Before I was just wearing whatever sunglasses I had, and the dry dusty air would just whip around those suckers--my eyes would be watering on some sketchy sections! Got mine at SportRX:
https://www.sportrx.com/shopby/best_...tain_bike.html

Thanks. I’m a fan of the Oakleys I wear (half jacket 2.0), but obviously insufficient for dust. Maybe that’s all I need...I might try some old glasses that have better wrap around protection and see if that helps. Seems better than going full WWI fighter pilot.

wirides 06-11-20 07:34 PM

I ultimately bought the derby with polarized lenses and could not be happier. For the trial, I had the panhead, derby, and aspen but the derby made the best seal all around. Fit will vary of course. I haven't had any fogging and sweat wasn't a problem. The foam is easily removable but I leave it and wear them daily with no fogging. Because the lenses are dark enough, you can't tell the foam is there so they are fine in appearance either way. I don't work for 7eye or anything, just a very happy customer. I was just out in super windy conditions watching my daughter play softball. Without them it would have been very uncomfortable. My issue is different but the concept is the same.

clasher 06-13-20 09:59 AM

Spoggles or smoggles (the prices are for singles and case quantities) are what I have to wear at some cement plants I work at, they're foam lined safety glasses. They do fog up during the winter when I work more but they kind of work, though it's often much dustier where I work than it ever is on the road. Any local safety supply or industrial supply place like Fastenal would likely have a bunch of different kinds in stock if you want to check them out in person. Being safety glasses they are cheap and impact resistant.

pbass 06-14-20 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by wheelsmcgee (Post 21528740)
Thanks. I’m a fan of the Oakleys I wear (half jacket 2.0), but obviously insufficient for dust. Maybe that’s all I need...I might try some old glasses that have better wrap around protection and see if that helps. Seems better than going full WWI fighter pilot.

I ride in SoCal--lots of dry dusty fire roads and trails and I don't feel the need for more coverage than these Oakleys provide. I have the Gibston model.

wheelsmcgee 06-14-20 12:24 PM

Update: I thought before I threw down a lot of cash on something nice, I’d see if some basic, foam lined safety glasses would work. I ended up ordering a tinted 3M product (sort of a less fashionable version of the Spoggles that clasher recommended). $8 and Amazon had them to me the next day. Took them out for my ride this morning...a little less wind and traffic today, but overall they seemed to make a huge difference...My eyes felt fine during and after the ride. I might wear them a few more times and then keep them as a backup for something nicer.

I have my doubts that they’ll be wearable in winter because even regular sunglasses tend to fog up on me in the cold, so I may opt for the wraparound shade approach then.

Thank you all for the suggestions!

dwmckee 06-14-20 04:55 PM

I'd also add to try a few things to experiment to be sure you know what the irritation is caused by. Is it sweat or sunscreen getting in your eves from sweat? If it is pollen allergies can you take Claritin of Zyrtec before riding? Maybe an allergy test?

wheelsmcgee 08-15-20 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by dwmckee (Post 21533795)
I'd also add to try a few things to experiment to be sure you know what the irritation is caused by. Is it sweat or sunscreen getting in your eves from sweat? If it is pollen allergies can you take Claritin of Zyrtec before riding? Maybe an allergy test?

I know it’s been two months, but I never noticed this reply. I do get sunscreen in my eyes on occasion, but this is definitely not related...I’m often out right around sunrise so don’t often wear it. I probably should get an allergy test, but so far the foam lined glasses seem to be a huge help.

dwmckee 08-16-20 05:26 PM

Great! I just finished a multi-day very dusty ride and can agree thay it can be fatigueuing to the eyes and I hate to think what the inside of my lungs look like!

tdilf 08-17-20 12:04 PM

Ride faster, don't let anybody pass you - lol.

wheelsmcgee 08-18-20 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by tdilf (Post 21645884)
Ride faster, don't let anybody pass you - lol.

I doubt I can maintain the ~45mph needed to stop motorists from passing me (also, that wouldn’t solve the oncoming traffic problem). I might try one of those tall bikes; keep my breathing holes above the dust layer.