Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Recall Announcements (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=272)
-   -   Spec. Allez Recall (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1130645)

sdmc530 12-14-17 08:22 AM

Spec. Allez Recall

Wanted to get this out! 2018 Allez Recall for fork issues.

Model Year 2018 Allez, Allez Elite, Allez Sport Forks

Dear Specialized Rider:
At Specialized, safety is our primary concern, and when safety is compromised for the rider, we need to take action.
After careful examination, we've concluded that some model year 2018 Allez, Allez Elite, and Allez Sport model bikes may contain a manufacturing defect in the fork crown which potentially affects safety. Therefore, we've decided to prepare for a recall which will involve replacing the existing fork with a new fork.
By this letter, we're asking riders to stop riding, and our dealers to stop selling, affected bicycles. Even though, to our knowledge, no one has been injured and no regulatory agency has brought this to our attention.
We've already engaged our considerable manufacturing resources to supply high-quality replacement forks, painted to match your bikes. Riders who've purchased these bikes will be our first priority for replacement, followed by our retailers. As riders ourselves, we fully understand and are working hard at finding solutions to minimize your inconvenience. We hope you'll understand and appreciate that we will need time to obtain necessary government approvals and time for our factories to produce a sufficient quantity of forks for the recall.
We assure you that getting you, the rider, back on your bike is our highest priority, and that we're working day and night to make this happen as quickly as possible. As we progress, we'll provide regular updates to you on Specialized.com. And when we begin to deliver replacement forks, we will promptly notify all concerned.
For questions, please contact Specialized Rider Care at 1-800-SBC-4IBD.
On our part, we wish to apologize for this inconvenience.
Mark Schroeder, Director of Engineering

trailangel 12-14-17 10:21 AM

Thanks for that.
I got rid of my plastic fork 2 years ago.

sdmc530 12-14-17 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by trailangel (Post 20052342)
Thanks for that.
I got rid of my plastic fork 2 years ago.

I am actually temped now to do the same. Will see I guess.

UPDATE: my dealer just called and Spec is saying probably reality of February 2018 for new forks shipped BUT you do get $75 for Spec gear for the inconvenience so that is something.

trailangel 12-14-17 10:55 AM

Ha. Stop riding the bike but wait 2 months or longer for the new forks to start shipping.
I would return the whole bike for total refund.

JonathanGennick 12-14-17 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by trailangel (Post 20052415)
Ha. Stop riding the bike but wait 2 months or longer for the new forks to start shipping.

It's winter, so might not matter to most customers. Otherwise, we're it me, I'd probably just buy a temporary fork to keep me riding during the wait.

Juan Foote 12-14-17 11:50 AM

...and get laughed right out of the store, as well....Since there has been no regulatory recall and this is a manufacturer doing on their own, you wouldn't have a legal leg to stand on beyond standard return policy (which in my experience only exists with the likes of Performance Bike).

sdmc530 12-14-17 12:02 PM

when I talked to my dealer this morning my guy Jamie, I asked about a "trade" and he said the same thing, no "official" recall so it wouldn't apply. This was a complete voluntary "recall" by Spec so they are just covering their butts for a just in case situation. I give them credit for that because this will be pretty spendy for them I bet. I love the bike so I don't really want to give it up. Just hate waiting...at least it isn't like the airbag parts recall

I can wait it out being I have two bikes and winter has set in so I don't mind it but if I lived in a warm climate I would actually be pretty upset about the wait.

indyfabz 12-14-17 12:35 PM

Might ask the mods to move this to the recall forum.

Edit: I see now that there is already a thread there:

https://www.bikeforums.net/recall-an...-recalled.html

sdmc530 12-14-17 01:05 PM

didn't know we had a "recall" section. My bad.

Esthetic 12-14-17 03:20 PM

That stinks. Allez lineup was actually their most attractive for 2018 i thought. Only bike i'd entertain replacing my Alum TCR was the Allez Sprint DSW LE frame.

himespau 12-14-17 04:00 PM

How long have the 2018's been out?

sdmc530 12-14-17 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by himespau (Post 20053119)
How long have the 2018's been out?

3 months in the north by me. I got the first allez elite in SD so my dealer told me. It’s a great bike too...well was...will be again in a couple of months :innocent:

Jofu 12-14-17 11:43 PM

Bought my son an Allez Elite at the end of August. It’s currently decorating the garage (damn, son!!!) so no great loss right now :cry:

Geoff

aplcr0331 12-15-17 02:12 PM

So this doesn't apply to the '18 Allez Sprint Comp?

Juan Foote 12-15-17 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Jofu (Post 20053852)
Bought my son an Allez Elite at the end of August. It’s currently decorating the garage (damn, son!!!) so no great loss right now :cry:

Geoff

Bought my son an Allez back a couple of years ago after we had been riding together for nearly a year. He probably hasn't touched it in two or three years.

trailangel 12-16-17 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Juan Foote (Post 20052540)
...and get laughed right out of the store, as well....Since there has been no regulatory recall and this is a manufacturer doing on their own, you wouldn't have a legal leg to stand on beyond standard return policy (which in my experience only exists with the likes of Performance Bike).

Oh?
https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...rk-recall.html

"Interesting. I just made a warranty claim with mine and they gave me the option of a new bike or an S-Works frameset, still waiting on the frame to be delivered to the LBS. It was probably a known issue, but the trigger on the recall hasn't been pulled yet."

Juan Foote 12-16-17 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by trailangel (Post 20056490)
Oh?
https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...rk-recall.html

"Interesting. I just made a warranty claim with mine and they gave me the option of a new bike or an S-Works frameset, still waiting on the frame to be delivered to the LBS. It was probably a known issue, but the trigger on the recall hasn't been pulled yet."

Um, I call bull****.

Read your linked (from Specialized website) article again. It discussed specifically the repair of the fork, and I quote:
"no regulatory agency has brought this to our attention."

"After careful examination, we've concluded that some model year 2018 Allez, Allez Elite, and Allez Sport model bikes may contain a manufacturing defect in the fork crown which potentially affects safety. Therefore, we've decided to prepare for a recall which will involve replacing the existing fork with a new fork."

That doesn't say replace with a new frameset/bike which isn't even a part of the (voluntary) recall.

Also, if you will reference the post by sdmc530 above you will see that his dealership told him pretty much the same thing.

IF this is happening at all, which I doubt, it might be the shop offering (that guy) some deal (on what I suspect is an undelivered bike perhaps?), it ain't Spec.

trailangel 12-16-17 02:13 PM

You can cry BS all you want, but this was one person's experience.....new bike or new frame.
And these are new bikes.. only a couple months old.:cry:

Juan Foote 12-16-17 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by trailangel (Post 20056581)
You can cry BS all you want, but this was one person's experience.....new bike or new frame.

This is one person's claimed experience, against the statement and standard policy.

The store nor the manufacturer darned sure aren't about to give up an S-Works in trade for an Allez. That makes zero financial sense no matter what planet you are on.

sdmc530 12-16-17 02:41 PM

Sworks frame worth 4,000$ over a bike recall where the bike is valued at 1200$ and the new fork will probable be a couple of hundred in the end with labor? Doesn’t seem right to me. If my LBS has offered me this I would have jumped in a millisecond at it. They were pretty clear that returns on the bike would not be taken over a fork issue. I could trade it and take a hit on it but that was about it. They did say if I did trade they would offer me more than usual because of the issue but it’s also a brand new bike so they can give a bit more for it too.

I call bs on this and I never get into a controversy online like this. Doesn’t make $$$ sense at all.

cb400bill 12-16-17 02:42 PM

Thread moved to Recalls forum.

qcpmsame 12-19-17 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by trailangel (Post 20056581)

According to the individual in the linked thread, he received a back-stock 2015 S-Works Allez frame. He had to swap all components over to the new frame. Not known if Specialized had him return his old frame, which is usually required for examination and failure analysis purposes. A 3 y.o. frame, but a desirable one to have, he made out well on his warranty claim compared to what is happening now with a fork replacement.

Bill

Joeyseven 02-11-18 01:37 AM

UPDATE: 1/24/18

In December we issued a notice asking you to stop riding your affected Allez, and that we'd replace your fork with a new one painted to match. At this time, we are happy to update that production of replacement forks is going according to plan and without delay. Pending regulatory approval, we expect being able to replace forks beginning in early February.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/safety-notices

unterhausen 02-17-18 06:48 AM

does the fork asplode?

kap 7 02-17-18 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by sdmc530 (Post 20052721)
didn't know we had a "recall" section. My bad.

me either and when i posted this info in the general cycling section the thread got put on lock down