Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Effective Bicycling magazine (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1179154)

whitemax 07-23-19 02:12 PM

Idiots at Bicycling magazine

Open my email and right there it is, today’s stage winner on the title of the email. I wrote them about this a week ago to no avail. WTF????

topflightpro 07-23-19 02:13 PM

I've unsubscribed because of that.

whitemax 07-23-19 05:31 PM

I will do the same. I can't believe they are that effin stupid.

Marcus_Ti 07-23-19 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by whitemax (Post 21041708)
I will do the same. I can't believe they are that effin stupid.

Style Man. Let me repeat. Style Man.

seau grateau 07-23-19 06:39 PM

Don't subscribe to cycling news mailing lists if you don't want cycling news?

Bmach 07-23-19 06:41 PM

So you know who won. If you don’t read the story you won’t know how they won. So you can still watch the race.

topflightpro 07-24-19 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by Bmach (Post 21041794)
So you know who won. If you don’t read the story you won’t know how they won. So you can still watch the race.

Sure, but sprint stages aren't the most engaging stages.

It's one thing for someone to go onto social media and see posts about the outcome. But it's something else when you get an email and the subject line says "X won the stage." They could very easily write "See who won today's stage," which would give me the option to open the email and read the story.

Marcus_Ti 07-24-19 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by topflightpro (Post 21042316)

It's one thing for someone to go onto social media and see posts about the outcome. But it's something else when you get an email and the subject line says "X won the stage." They could very easily write "See who won today's stage," which would give me the option to open the email and read the story.

The best TdF watching yesterday...was the painted sheep TdF homage failure. Painting sheep doesn't work well, evidently. Particularly yellow.

Jack Tone 07-24-19 08:17 AM

My wife's phone has pop-ups on the front, even before you unlock it, and it usually says who won the stage. Also Comcast will have a "news" brief on the bottom of the screen which will tell. She has to close her eyes all day before we watch it at night. She usually knows and pretends not to.

Iride01 07-24-19 08:22 AM

Tis one of the problems since we've gotten to used to DVR'ing everything to watch at our leisure. Not telling you the news is sort of adverse to what a sports news magazine is supposed to do.

However you can set up filters to shuffle the offending email stuff off to another folder you don't read till after the event. Or, just unsubscribe from the emails for the period you don't want to know the news.

whitemax 07-24-19 10:37 AM

I didn't subscribe, they must have gotten my email when I subscribed to the magazine.

whitemax 07-24-19 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by topflightpro (Post 21042316)

Exactly!

GuitarBob 07-24-19 02:46 PM

It would be nice if those in the business avoided overt spoilers, but it's probably too much to expect.

MSchott 07-24-19 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by seau grateau (Post 21042610)
Watch it live or stop complaining, JFC this is ridiculous.

Exactly. Or at least unsubscribe from the emails.

znomit 07-25-19 02:21 AM

If you're not watching it live (and why wouldn't you be?), you're not dedicated enough to be reading such a cool magazine.

whitemax 07-25-19 07:07 AM

Because Bicycling is not a "cycling news magazine". The point is, I can't even open my email without the winner of the days stage splashed right in front of me in the title of the email. I have requested to be unsubscribed and got message that it will take some days. That was days ago, I doubt they will even unsubscribe me. Once again, I never asked to included on their mailing list to begin with.

MSchott 07-25-19 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by whitemax (Post 21043880)
Because Bicycling is not a "cycling news magazine". The point is, I can't even open my email without the winner of the days stage splashed right in front of me in the title of the email. I have requested to be unsubscribed and got message that it will take some days. That was days ago, I doubt they will even unsubscribe me. Once again, I never asked to included on their mailing list to begin with.

That’s fair if you didn’t ask to be on the list. Unfortunately this sort of uninvited email is common these days. There must be a way to tell your email system to put these in the trash as they arrive.

LAJ 07-25-19 10:45 AM

Unbelievable.

It really isn't that tough to be decent to each other.