Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=210)
-   -   Tubulars on track wheels? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1187186)

brooklyn6640 11-02-19 10:43 AM

Tubulars on track wheels?

On track bike the tubulars are glued or not? glue ,or adhesive strips like Tufo or Velox?read on French forum that tubulars are not glued.

rustymongrel 11-02-19 11:17 AM

They are most definitely glued. No track racer I know trusts tape. Back in the day trackies used shellac too.

brooklyn6640 11-02-19 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by rustymongrel (Post 21191479)
They are most definitely glued. No track racer I know trusts tape. Back in the day trackies used shellac too.

Hi thank,s I not that about the shellac but is it really safe vs the glue, Continental, Vittoria etc? Today shellac are used by cabinet makers for finishing furniture.

taras0000 11-02-19 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by brooklyn6640 (Post 21191498)
Hi thank,s I not that about the shellac but is it really safe vs the glue, Continental, Vittoria etc? Today shellac are used by cabinet makers for finishing furniture.

Shellac works very well. It's a very strong bond, but it's not very resilient. It sets up hard, unlike most glues which still keep some flexibility when they are fully cured. If you use shellac, then be sure that you plan on treating your wheels carefully, and that you plan on throwing the tire out when you remove it from the rim. Often times the base tape from the tubular will still be stuck to the rim, with the rest of the tire carcass separating from it when it is removed.

Shellac offers the lowest rolling resistance of all tubular adhesives, so it is often used on wheels for record attempts and important competitions.

Baby Puke 11-02-19 08:35 PM

Please do not use tape! Please!

brooklyn6640 11-03-19 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by Baby Puke (Post 21192050)
Please do not use tape! Please!

Hi , I have only 1 rear whell with tape but it,s on my road bike , the 2 track wheels are Nemesis with HB7600 hubs , but without tubular , I,m asking before going wrong with the tubulars thank,s

topflightpro 11-03-19 07:24 AM

Glue and plenty of it.

Rolling a tubular on the track is not fun - I unfortunately know this from experience.

brooklyn6640 11-03-19 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by topflightpro (Post 21192348)
Glue and plenty of it.

Rolling a tubular on the track is not fun - I unfortunately know this from experience.

Hi What happened?

taras0000 11-04-19 06:50 PM

If your glue bond is not strong enough, then the tire rolls off the rim and you crash. This usually happens At high speed when you are changing your line. The added G force as well as the sideways force from the direction change put huge forces on the tire, causing it to roll off.

It is rare to be able to recover from a rolled tubular and ride it out. I've also seen a front tubular roll off and get caught around a riders foot. That was a nasty crash.

Baby Puke 11-04-19 11:10 PM

I've seen a few tape jobs now, and the biggest problem I see with them is their insosnsitency. I've seen a few that simply pushed off the rim with minimal effort. That is scary. I have now seen one that was a strong bond that probably would not have come off under normal riding conditions. In general, glue is dependable and seems harder to mess up than the tape from what I have observed.

When preparing your equipment, you must always keep in mind that if you go down because of an equipment failure, there is a chance you will take others with you. I always try to have my gear over-prepared rather than under for this reason.

brooklyn6640 11-05-19 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Baby Puke (Post 21195233)
I've seen a few tape jobs now, and the biggest problem I see with them is their insosnsitency. I've seen a few that simply pushed off the rim with minimal effort. That is scary. I have now seen one that was a strong bond that probably would not have come off under normal riding conditions. In general, glue is dependable and seems harder to mess up than the tape from what I have observed.

When preparing your equipment, you must always keep in mind that if you go down because of an equipment failure, there is a chance you will take others with you. I always try to have my gear over-prepared rather than under for this reason.

Thank,s guys
Do you know where I can find the Continental sprinter tubular manufacture date ? these tubulars have a deadline for normal use ?.some lbc sell less products, so some be old stock vs online dealers? thank,s

found.

FinkFloyd 11-07-19 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by taras0000 (Post 21194900)
If your glue bond is not strong enough, then the tire rolls off the rim and you crash. This usually happens At high speed when you are changing your line. The added G force as well as the sideways force from the direction change put huge forces on the tire, causing it to roll off.

It is rare to be able to recover from a rolled tubular and ride it out. I've also seen a front tubular roll off and get caught around a riders foot. That was a nasty crash.

It is impossible to see someone roll a tub on track without feeling the need to check and re-check your own wheels the next time you ride. I remember seeing a video of (I think) Gregory Bauge rolling a tub and staying upright; he managed to roll to a stop without hitting the deck (until he was going quite slowly) but it absolutely shredded the rim of the wheel that lost the tyre.

rustymongrel 11-08-19 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by brooklyn6640 (Post 21195438)
Thank,s guys
Do you know where I can find the Continental sprinter tubular manufacture date ? these tubulars have a deadline for normal use ?.some lbc sell less products, so some be old stock vs online dealers? thank,s

found.

I don’t think continentals have a date on them, but I know some brands do, veloflex for example have the date printed on the base tape.

That said as long as the rubber of the tire is supple and not showing any signs of cracking or drying out they should be fine. I’ve used “old stock” tires plenty of times, they last quite a while.

brooklyn6640 11-08-19 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by rustymongrel (Post 21200300)
I don’t think continentals have a date on them, but I know some brands do, veloflex for example have the date printed on the base tape.

That said as long as the rubber of the tire is supple and not showing any signs of cracking or drying out they should be fine. I’ve used “old stock” tires plenty of times, they last quite a while.

Date of manufacture on Conti found, all conti have manufacture date on the side . I think more about the old inner tube . I keep my Veloflex at least 1 year not glued on rim , to dry.

ThermionicScott 11-08-19 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by brooklyn6640 (Post 21200477)
Date of manufacture on Conti found, all conti have manufacture date on the side . I think more about the old inner tube . I keep my Veloflex at least 1 year not glued on rim , to dry.

Inner tubes last a long time since they're protected from UV and ozone (mostly) inside the tire. The inner tubes in my English 3-speed are perfectly fine after decades of service.