Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Tandem Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Crestline tandem? any good, good deal? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=210685)

Ashen 07-13-06 11:57 AM

Crestline tandem? any good, good deal?

So I noticed an ad on my local craigslist for a Crestline tandem for $150

This seems like a pretty good price for any tandem really, but I thought I'd ask some people here. It looks to be an older model, with a 5 speed rear wheel, nothing terribly modern, but it seems like it would be a good start for my girlfriend and me. Is this a known brand, or something obscure or what? I know basically nothing about tandems at this point.

Thanks

Retro Grouch 07-13-06 02:38 PM

It's intended as a ride-around-the-neighborhood bike. If you are a bicycle enthusiast now, you'll probably think that it's not good enough.

On the other hand, the first tandem that my wife and I rode was about the same quality. We rode it for 7 or 8 years working up to some hilly 50 mile rides because it was the best we could afford at the time.

2372ighost 07-13-06 03:41 PM

Put some high pressure slicks on it and ride. If your stoker doesn't take to tandeming, you can sell it and get your money back. If you move up, you can loan it to another couple to get them interested. $150 is not much to invest to do a look/see.IMO

zonatandem 07-13-06 08:55 PM

If you are accustomed to higher quality bicycles, the Crestline is near the bottom of the list.
Yes, it would be great for cruizin' the 'hood and on bike paths, but not really intended for anything that is more serious. A 5-speed does not lend itself to much more than non-hilly terrain.
However, having said that, it it fits, suits your riding style and wallet, go for it! Offer a $100 and see what happens.

Ashen 07-23-06 06:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well I passed on the Crestline, but a couple weeks later I'm glad I did! We picked up this one (a Motiv Duet) up at a garage sale this weekend for the same price, and while its entry level it has been immaculately maintained and more importantly it fit perfectly. We practiced a bit in a parking lot to get the feel for it and practice the communicative aspects, then took a 12 mile ride this morning. It went great, and we're already looking forward to our next ride. I can definitely see how people get hooked on this.

cornucopia72 07-24-06 09:09 AM

You two look great! Just don't forget to wear helmets and gloves.

screenprintr 05-18-19 02:38 PM

Just signed up for the forum. We bought a used 26" Dyno Crestline Tandem for $10.00 at a garage sale. It's in pretty good shape. We need to fix the flat and eventually replace the tires. Other than being old, they're still in good shape. The people didn't ride it much. We'll take it to the beach to ride.

bajajoaquin 05-18-19 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by cornucopia72 (Post 2810916)
You two look great! Just don't forget to wear helmets and gloves.

Seriously? Give it a rest.

JanMM 05-18-19 08:12 PM

Zombie Thread! Had been asleep for 13 years since cornucopia posted.

Welcome to BF, screenprintr.

lichtgrau 05-19-19 12:24 AM

Oh man, was I young when this thread was started! Exhuming this gives you a fair chance to get nominated for the "Golden Shovel Award" :thumb:

However, have lots of fun with this bike. At the price of two cappuccinos the worst thing that could happen is loosing the lust for tandem-riding (what would be too bad, indeed). In best case you found a new hobby - what am I saying - a new way of being a real team instead of just a couple!
:tandem:

screenprintr 05-19-19 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by lichtgrau (Post 20936691)
Oh man, was I young when this thread was started! Exhuming this gives you a fair chance to get nominated for the "Golden Shovel Award" :thumb:

However, have lots of fun with this bike. At the price of two cappuccinos the worst thing that could happen is loosing the lust for tandem-riding (what would be too bad, indeed). In best case you found a new hobby - what am I saying - a new way of being a real team instead of just a couple!
:tandem:

The important think is that we spend time together and have fun!

obrentharris 05-19-19 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by bajajoaquin (Post 20936503)
Seriously? Give it a rest.

I think it had a 13-year rest!
Brent

lichtgrau 05-19-19 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by screenprintr (Post 20936892)
The important think is that we spend time together and have fun!

...that's exactly what it's all about :thumb:

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...5bc344e593.jpg