Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Disc Brake Rotor Cut to the Bone During Katie Compton CX crash (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1135636)

redlude97 02-12-18 12:54 PM

Disc Brake Rotor Cut to the Bone During Katie Compton CX crash

Interesting to see maybe the first real reported disc brake cut. No details on who caused the crash and can't find a replay to see which rotors they were using. Looks gruesome, but with the newer smooth round rotors maybe this doesn't happen again
https://www.cxmagazine.com/katie-com...ds-full-season

WhyFi 02-12-18 01:13 PM

How is it even known that a rotor caused this? All of the Shimano rotors that I've seen/used have rounded edges and couldn't cut like that.

PepeM 02-12-18 01:15 PM

Let me go stock up on popcorn.

RChung 02-12-18 01:21 PM

It's too bad it's impossible to collect the data necessary to evaluate the relative risk of getting injured by different causes, and that the proper methods of analysis haven't yet been invented.

Maelochs 02-12-18 01:22 PM

I mentioned on another of these (list of deleted descriptives) posts that an MTB racer on another site reported getting a huge gash in the forearm from a disc rotor ... on a pleasure ride. No reason to lie, as there as no money/exposure on the line ... just a gruesome pic of a gash and a matter-of-fact report.

When someone tells me a dull knife cannot cut ... I am tempted to say, Let's test that. Hold out your arm."

Not giving up my discs, not on any of the many sides a person could possibly be on ... just the facts, Ma'am.

WhyFi 02-12-18 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Maelochs (Post 20165622)
When someone tells me a dull knife cannot cut ... I am tempted to say, Let's test that. Hold out your arm."

Every rotor edge I've seen/touched is more akin to the spine of a dull knife, not the edge of a dull knife.

redlude97 02-12-18 01:37 PM

Cyclocross is different than road, where heat dissipation isn't really necessary and most are running 140mm rotors, so you don't see many Shimano rotors even on Shimano sponsored bikes. The most common rotor I see is the sram centerlines, which may or may not be the new updated versions with the rounded edge

redlude97 02-12-18 01:38 PM

I mentioned on another of these (list of deleted descriptives) posts that an MTB racer on another site reported getting a huge gash in the forearm from a disc rotor ... on a pleasure ride. No reason to lie, as there as no money/exposure on the line ... just a gruesome pic of a gash and a matter-of-fact report.

Not giving up my discs, not on any of the many sides a person could possibly be on ... just the facts, Ma'am.

I'm not giving up my discs either, especially on my cross bike, but some have put their money where their mouth is.
https://www.bikerumor.com/2017/06/14...ands-survives/

dabac 02-12-18 01:38 PM

A rotor is what, 3 mm thick?
With enough pressure behind, say as when landing with a significant part of an adult’s body weight, it’ll cut just fine into something like human skin radiused or not.

indyfabz 02-12-18 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by PepeM (Post 20165599)
Let me go stock up on popcorn.

My treat!

:popcorn:popcorn:popcorn

nycphotography 02-12-18 01:59 PM

A 20' circular saw blade tipped with bowling balls can probably cut a whale in half.
But I'm not going to lose any sleep worrying it will cut my finger.

A dull knife has about as much in common with a 2mm rounded bullnose edge as my bowling ball blade does with a table saw.

Just sayin.

tagaproject6 02-12-18 02:07 PM

Then there's paper cuts :popcorn: :trainwreck: :deadhorse:

WhyFi 02-12-18 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by redlude97 (Post 20165549)
No details on who caused the crash and can't find a replay to see which rotors they were using.

Found here -

Originally Posted by Katie
I was riding the line in the rut and Helen [Wyman] literally ran into me on my right and took me out,” Compton told Bicycling. “Nikki [Brammeier] was on my left doing the same thing… There was no room to pass there and they should have waited instead of crashing people out just to get by.

....not that I think it's safe to assume that discs were at fault.

zymphad 02-12-18 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by dabac (Post 20165660)
A rotor is what, 3 mm thick?
With enough pressure behind, say as when landing with a significant part of an adult’s body weight, it’ll cut just fine into something like human skin radiused or not.

Yeah... I don't know why people think you need something sharp to cut skin and expose bone. I have seen plenty of injuries that look like a clean cuts exposing bone from blunt objects, from car accidents to elderly slipping in the bathroom. I don't know why people think you need a sharp object to cut skin/muscle/expose bone.

So landing at high speed onto a spinning 3mm METAL rotor? Yeah you bet it will cut human skin, easily. Cut through bone too if land just the right way.

Is it a reason to get rid of rotors? Hell no. Flipping over a handlebar and smashing intoa rock? Every time I ride, I risk more serious injuries from an angry pickup truck driver or some she devil behind a giant Escalade and has no sense of the dimensions of the truck. If I was a competitive racer, I would think inexperienced or irresponsible rider would pose more danger than any disc brake. I think cyclists face far greater dangers for every pedal on the road than any disc brake rotor, solo ride or in a race.

Racing Dan 02-12-18 02:56 PM

If safety was any concern at all in pro road cycling, riders wouldn't race at 40 mph in what amounts to a bathing suit and an eggshell. Compared to what happens when you dismount at high speed and hit the road, curb, and other bike ect. the spinning wheels of death is the least of you worries. Hitting the ground related injuries happens in every single race, but ppl get all bent out of shape, when they finally can prove a disc related injury. Proportion guys, proportions!

zymphad 02-12-18 03:10 PM

Yar... Cut skins heals a lot faster than broken bones or internal injuries.

Maelochs 02-12-18 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by zymphad (Post 20165871)
Yar... Cut skins heals a lot faster than broken bones or internal injuries.

Yeah and cut arteries heal ... oh, wait .... :D

The point here Shouldn't be about banning discs ... it should be accepting that it can happen, which right here, many people deny.

As far as cuts, did anybody actually read the post? It showed an even worse gash made by a chain ring.

What this is, is more testimony that a disc is the mostly likely instrument to have inflicted this injury ... not according to anti-disc tinfoil-hat-wearers, but according to a freaking pro who rides, trusts, and depends on discs. And will continue to.

The guy telling me a disc cannot cut me because it is two millimeters wide ... if it weren't going to be deleterious to my legal status, I would come down there and gash your limbs with a dull axe. You could bleed to death while insisting that you weren't cut.

Tinfoil hats off, friends. Discs aren't the next "top-of the charts" cause of death and discs do cause lacerations. Sorry for all you fact-haters.

WhyFi 02-12-18 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Maelochs (Post 20166006)
The guy telling me a disc cannot cut me because it is two millimeters wide ... if it weren't going to be deleterious to my legal status, I would come down there and gash your limbs with a dull axe. You could bleed to death while insisting that you weren't cut.

:rolleyes:

dmanthree 02-12-18 04:41 PM

Was there any evidence on the rotor, like blood or skin?

Racing Dan 02-12-18 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Maelochs (Post 20166006)

As far as cuts, did anybody actually read the post? It showed an even worse gash made by a chain ring.

Yes, and if anyone actually cared for safety, chain rings would have a UCI mandated chain guard, but they dont. Even if such a ring could easily fit within the UCI weight envelope. Everybody, pro and amateur, would rather face imminent death than be seen with a dork disc, a chain guard or >any< safety equipment other than a helmet and a pair of gloves. So what are we arguing over? Why is safety all of a sudden all important, when even those complaining about the supposed danger of discs, could easily enhance their own safety, but chooses not to.

FC-R2000-CG

WhyFi 02-12-18 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by dmanthree (Post 20166094)
Was there any evidence on the rotor, like blood or skin?

Seems that there's only Katie's claim that it was a rotor, even though she wasn't aware that she suffered a laceration until well after the fact; she blames a disc rotor for both her knee injury and a broken/cut Boa wire on her shoe.

pesty 02-12-18 05:04 PM

Can we all just put aside the disc brakes are safe/unsafe issues for a minute and agree that Katie Compton is a tough as nails badass?

After being cut, ON THE FIRST LAP, she got back on the bike and finished 7th.

Then posted the following to twitter:
"The good thing about disc rotor slices is that they don’t hurt till much later and the bleeding that doesn’t want to stop cleans the wound nicely."

That my friends is a F-ing badass.

datlas 02-12-18 05:14 PM

Hi! What's this thread about?

tagaproject6 02-12-18 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 20166179)

Cycling hurts.

WhyFi 02-12-18 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 20166179)

Whether the wit from dull minds can cut.