Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Bicycle Mechanics (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Front wheel play after replacing bearings (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1215304)

rphvv@live.nl 10-14-20 07:12 AM

Front wheel play after replacing bearings

I replaced my sealed bearings with some new ones but my front wheel play remains so at this point I think the play is in between my hub and the fork because my hub is 1 mm to small or my axle to wide or a combination.

Roval wheel set in a salsa cutthroat 2020 with a stiff fork

What do you guys think?

And how to fix it, try some spacers?
Replace the end caps?

Iride01 10-14-20 07:47 AM

I would go back and find out why you have the play first. Measure the new and old parts and find out where the difference is. If I couldn't find anything thing different, then I'd have to ask if I'm installing something incorrectly. This bike has a thru-axle and I only have one bike with a thru-axle, so I don't have enough dealings with them to say anything about adding spacers willy nilly as I have on bikes with skewers and solid axles.

blamester 10-14-20 01:16 PM

2020 bike and wheels?
​​​​​​Look closely to see where it is moving.
Take your time.
Is there a difference between one side of the hub and the other side?
Google image a photo of the hub see can you spot anything.
Is it the same installation as the rear?
See if something is different.

frankenmike 10-14-20 07:17 PM

Is it possible the roval hubs use a different thru-axle system from the fork? (assuming those wheels didn’t come with the bike.)

rphvv@live.nl 11-24-20 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by blamester (Post 21743222)
2020 bike and wheels?
​​​​​​Look closely to see where it is moving.
Take your time.
Is there a difference between one side of the hub and the other side?
Google image a photo of the hub see can you spot anything.
Is it the same installation as the rear?
See if something is different.

When I take out the wheel only the end caps are the only thing with play on it(end caps without pre load). When the wheel is in place the movement is coming from the the axle not pulling the bearings tight enough (i think).
No in front I have sealed bearings and in the back cup and come.
I have put spacers on different places:
When between inside fork and the end caps play seams a little bit less but still existing, when put on the thru-axle before installing (between the inbus hole and left outside fork) they play remains the same.

One other thing every time the front wheel is put back in the bike the play is gone till I ride it and after the ride one's the play is back the axle is still tight.

The bike is from 2020 the wheels are a probably 1 or 2 year's older but both boost.

The play didn't exist for the first 1000 km but became more and more especially after a really heavy trail in italy.

rphvv@live.nl 11-24-20 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by frankenmike (Post 21743723)
Is it possible the roval hubs use a different thru-axle system from the fork? (assuming those wheels didn’t come with the bike.)

The wheels didn't come with the bike but they should both be boost sized(what is confirmed bye the wheel and fork sliding in a perfect fit in to one a other) thru axle different since they are often specific for that bike but should be a universal fit for thru-axle wheels aside from the old school non-boost and the newer boost sizes. (I use the original thru-axle that came with the bike)

Iride01 11-24-20 10:49 AM

All your stuff is made for the same thru-axle diameter? If you have something made for a 15 mm thru-axle with a bike that has a 12 mm thru-axle, then you'll have play.

I'd check your new stuff with calipers even if the label says the correct diameter. Mistakes happen in packaging and elsewhere sometimes.

trailangel 11-24-20 10:56 AM

I can't see the play from here. It's up to the OP to determine where the play is......and it's right in front of him.

DaveSSS 11-24-20 11:39 AM

All wheels have some method to adjust play. Are you saying that you've run out of adjustment?

rphvv@live.nl 11-24-20 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by frankenmike (Post 21743723)

Originally Posted by Iride01 (Post 21804347)
All your stuff is made for the same thru-axle diameter? If you have something made for a 15 mm thru-axle with a bike that has a 12 mm thru-axle, then you'll have play.

I'd check your new stuff with calipers even if the label says the correct diameter. Mistakes happen in packaging and elsewhere sometimes.

There is definitely not a 3 mm gap. besides the old and new sealed bearing cartridges where the same and I run these wheels with out any problem for a few thousand km

rphvv@live.nl 11-24-20 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by DaveSSS (Post 21804436)
All wheels have some method to adjust play. Are you saying that you've run out of adjustment?

No I say I have no way of adjusting the play besides from tightening up the thru-axle since me front hub uses sealed press in bearing cartridges

rphvv@live.nl 11-24-20 11:17 PM

I think I found it!

There is a crack around the place the axle slides through (carbon fork)