Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   BMX (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Advice for an Old Scholl Newbie (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1156559)

Os1 09-27-18 11:45 AM

Advice for an Old School Newbie

Back in the eighties when I was in my teens BMX was my world. Life happened, I stopped riding and now I'm 43 and looking to buy a bike for street and tricks. Back then GT, Haro and Mongoose ruled the scene, mostly. I see so many brands nowadays that I know nothing of and it's been very tough to make a decision. Can you help an Old school newbie?

This is where I'm at now: My budget is around $500, I'm 6'2 200+ lbs so I think the minimum toptube should be at least '21 (would 20.5 make much of difference? or should I go higher?).
The only brand I know and trust is HARO. I would really appreciate recommendations on the newer brands. (

Finally, what's your go to place for quality and price? Online or otherwise? I'm a family man and the word budget is just mandatory. Thank you all!

marioval 10-02-18 12:31 PM

I'm also 43 and just got back into riding BMX after about 30 years. I test rode a few new bikes and just didn't like the way they felt. When I rode standing up the top tube was down by my ankles. it just felt weird. I then bought a mid school 1999 Haro Zippo on craigslist. That felt better but still wrong so I got rid of that too. I finally settled on what felt right to me, an old school bike. I got a 1989 Redline RL Two-Five. The top tube is 20.75 which is pretty long especially for that era. I also have a laid back seat post which opens the bike up more and makes for a comfortable feel when just riding around. If I had the dough I would get one of the newer Haro Lineage bikes. You get the best of both worlds. A bike with new school technology and durability but the look and feel of an old schooler. A 2016 Haro Master DMC would actually be my dream bike at this point but tha's too much $$$ for me right now. The Redline was $300 and that was already pushing it :)

EdwinHeadwind 10-09-18 11:25 PM

I'm a bit older, and I've found that cruisers are the only BMX bikes that work for me anymore. There are lots of nice 24s and 26s out there, from Haro, SE, Redline, etc. that should fit your budget, especially if you buy last year's model. The 2019s are shipping, so a local shop might be willing to make you a deal on leftover '18 inventory, regardless of what bike you choose.

Bikerider007 10-11-18 01:29 PM

Agree on the cruisers, the 20" bring back memories but for a rider a 24-26 is best. SE makes good looking retro stuff that is reasonably priced.

marioval 10-30-18 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Os1 (Post 20588817)
Back in the eighties when I was in my teens BMX was my world. Life happened, I stopped riding and now I'm 43 and looking to buy a bike for street and tricks. Back then GT, Haro and Mongoose ruled the scene, mostly. I see so many brands nowadays that I know nothing of and it's been very tough to make a decision. Can you help an Old school newbie?

This is where I'm at now: My budget is around $500, I'm 6'2 200+ lbs so I think the minimum toptube should be at least '21 (would 20.5 make much of difference? or should I go higher?).
The only brand I know and trust is HARO. I would really appreciate recommendations on the newer brands. (

Finally, what's your go to place for quality and price? Online or otherwise? I'm a family man and the word budget is just mandatory. Thank you all!

So what did you end up getting?

Os1 10-30-18 10:23 AM

I hear ya. Those masters are definitely dream machines. I love the old school look with the new tech but I also like the new no-nonsense street look of modern bikes. If I had my choice I would get one of each. Having said that, I am going for the new look new tech. It appeals to me more. I would love to start a build project with a classic though. Maybe a Dyno which were my favorites back on the day.

Os1 10-30-18 10:40 AM

I tried a 24'' and it felt right but I just can't get my mind off a 20''. Maybe it's nostalgia, maybe I'm afraid a 24'''will be to cumbersome for tricks, I don't know. However, current plan is to get a 20'' and later down the line a 24" for touring or trails. Its the perfect excuse to give my wife for continuing to buy bikes :). I am very curious about some 22''s like the Fit bf 22 or the WTP audio but these are either way too pricey or just not what I was looking for.