Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Advocacy & Safety (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Driver with powerful ties calls state rep instead of 911 after 'hit and run' crash (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1194109)

CB HI 02-16-20 10:21 PM

Driver with powerful ties calls state rep instead of 911 after 'hit and run' crash

When they all do the coverup game and a cyclist pays with his life:

CB HI 02-16-20 11:33 PM

CB HI 02-16-20 11:39 PM

https://www.11alive.com/article/news...9-55dd04e6f413
https://www.11alive.com/article/news...0-1040f5519a93
https://www.11alive.com/article/news...e-303b8c04a907

genec 02-17-20 05:49 AM

"Georgia State Patrol is investigating the cause of the crash..."

Wanna bet it comes with an announcement of "helmet status." Or "cyclist swerved."

Hit and run, leaving the scene... SIGH

horatio 02-17-20 06:22 AM

Another “master of the universe,” no doubt.

Paul Barnard 02-17-20 08:06 AM

That makes my blood boil. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I am not confident justice will prevail.

Moe Zhoost 02-17-20 08:09 AM

BZ to the Coroner for aggressively dogging this case.

Digger Goreman 02-17-20 09:35 AM

Another 1% cover up....

Complicity of a "representative" AND police.... :banned:

Notso_fastLane 02-17-20 01:13 PM

I have to wonder. Did the three involved in this obvious coverup think this would just go away?

This pisses me off so much. They should all be in jail, and they should have to pay this guy's family for the rest of their bloody lives.

burnthesheep 02-19-20 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Digger Goreman (Post 21330972)
Another 1% cover up....

Complicity of a "representative" AND police.... :banned:

But "I have it on the best advice that they're, uhhmmmm, a really wonderful person who did a lot for cancer patients and uhhhmmmmm the punishment is just very unjust, unfair even"

AndrewJB 02-19-20 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane (Post 21331281)
I have to wonder. Did the three involved in this obvious coverup think this would just go away?

This happened in September 2019, so for the last 5 months that is exactly what these dirt-bags thought!
If it wasn't for the investigative reporter bringing out the story they would be going about their lives, making summer vacation plans, and not thinking twice about the guy they left to die in a ditch!

genec 02-19-20 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by AndrewJB (Post 21333913)
This happened in September 2019, so for the last 5 months that is exactly what these dirt-bags thought!
If it wasn't for the investigative reporter bringing out the story they would be going about their lives, making summer vacation plans, and not thinking twice about the guy they left to die in a ditch!

Well gosh..."it was just some guy on a bicycle..." :rolleyes:

Ironically, I used to commute with a couple of surgeons... it is quite sad how some folks assume the value of person based on the vehicle they may be using.

I also knew of a CTO of a large Telecom company that commuted on a Segway, using bike lanes.

Leisesturm 02-22-20 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by genec (Post 21334257)
I also knew of a CTO of a large Telecom company that commuted on a Segway, using bike lanes.

Bad analogy. There isn't anyone who is unaware of what Segway's cost and anyone who hits a Segway pilot knows they are in deep ______. I mean, the driver who hit the poor sod riding an MTB in the dark because of one too many DWI also knew he had better call someone powerful to help him out. A human life is still a human life. Hit and runs are about FEAR of consequences much more than they are about the lack of worth of the victim.

genec 02-22-20 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Leisesturm (Post 21338226)
Bad analogy. There isn't anyone who is unaware of what Segway's cost and anyone who hits a Segway pilot knows they are in deep ______. I mean, the driver who hit the poor sod riding an MTB in the dark because of one too many DWI also knew he had better call someone powerful to help him out. A human life is still a human life. Hit and runs are about FEAR of consequences much more than they are about the lack of worth of the victim.

I had no idea what a Segway cost... and do those same drivers know what a new Trek Madone costs? Could they tell a Trek Madone from a Schwinn?

Not saying that this cyclist was on a Trek, but simply that I rather doubt a motorist, drunk or not has a clue who is out there riding a bike... ie., those surgeons I commuted with.

Is there a need to assign value to one's vehicle in order to be able to claim a piece of the road? Just how much is that motorist worth as they WALK to their car?

Miele Man 02-22-20 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by genec (Post 21338283)
I had no idea what a Segway cost... and do those same drivers know what a new Trek Madone costs? Could they tell a Trek Madone from a Schwinn?

Not saying that this cyclist was on a Trek, but simply that I rather doubt a motorist, drunk or not has a clue who is out there riding a bike... ie., those surgeons I commuted with.

Is there a need to assign value to one's vehicle in order to be able to claim a piece of the road? Just how much is that motorist worth as they WALK to their car?

It's exceedingly difficult to tell the make let alone mode of a bicycle one is approaching, whether from ahead or behind, in any motor vehicle. Besides, it could be a wealthy person riding a beater bike on a commute or something.

Reading all these tales of woe, it's easier to see why so many people think that bicycling on the roads with traffic is so dangerous.

Be careful out there. Cheers

Leisesturm 02-22-20 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by genec (Post 21338283)

You are the one claiming that drivers are in fact making this calculation and I am saying that that is incorrect. They do not. Cannot, actually, as you yourself have pointed out. So what, exactly, is your point??

dudeliving 02-22-20 08:13 PM

This is just another news about hit and run. I bet there are tons of stories and still no one knows who to blame.

genec 02-22-20 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Leisesturm (Post 21338604)
You are the one claiming that drivers are in fact making this calculation and I am saying that that is incorrect. They do not. Cannot, actually, as you yourself have pointed out. So what, exactly, is your point??

That the driver in this case made the assumption (as other drivers do) that this was "just some flake on a bicycle... who cares..."

Thus the driver assumed that after calling "connections," this could all be ignored...

CB HI 02-23-20 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by genec (Post 21338759)
That the driver in this case made the assumption (as other drivers do) that this was "just some flake on a bicycle... who cares..."

Thus the driver assumed that after calling "connections," this could all be ignored...

Well, it almost did work.

genec 02-23-20 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by CB HI (Post 21338784)
Well, it almost did work.

True... the entitled motoris mentality DOES tend to be dominant. How many times have you heard "Get off the road, the roads are for cars..."

So the last news I saw on this indicated an "investigation..." Wonder how that's going.

I-Like-To-Bike 02-23-20 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by genec (Post 21338845)
How many times have you heard "Get off the road, the roads are for cars..."

Second hand and third hand reports from the usual suspects on Bike Forums - Numerous times.

While riding on the street or road - Seldom, no times in the last several years.

genec 02-26-20 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike (Post 21339115)
Second hand and third hand reports from the usual suspects on Bike Forums - Numerous times.

While riding on the street or road - Seldom, no times in the last several years.

Makes sense... The population of Burlington, Iowa is listed as 25,663 in the 2010 census, a decline from the 26,839 population in the 2000 census.

No doubt everyone in town knows you by now, and it appears a few have left, too... less traffic, eh?

CB HI 02-26-20 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by genec (Post 21343163)
Makes sense... The population of Burlington, Iowa is listed as 25,663 in the 2010 census, a decline from the 26,839 population in the 2000 census.

No doubt everyone in town knows you by now, and it appears a few have left, too... less traffic, eh?

ILTB is banned, so he will not see your post for 6 months.

Leisesturm 02-26-20 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by CB HI (Post 21343837)
ILTB is banned, so he will not see your post for 6 months.

He can see it but won't be able to respond, if banned. 6 months?! Yowza, that's harsh. We don't always agree, but I think some of you manage to miss the essential common sense in many of his posts. Cyclists as a community are missing an essential down-to-earthness that pays off big when things go sideways on the blacktop or in forum discussions.

AndrewJB 03-06-20 08:32 AM

Case is going to a Grand Jury this month (March).
https://www.11alive.com/article/news...0-1040f5519a93