Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Continental Grand Prix 4-Season Price has skyrocketed (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1290691)

Fidler 04-01-24 01:09 PM

Continental Grand Prix 4-Season Price has skyrocketed

These are my go to tyres...used to get them at Chair Reaction for about 50-55 pounds or so... for a bundled pair.
Now one tyre is 70 pounds and no bundle deals....anywhere in the UK.
They are 100% made in Germany which is going through some sort of manufacturing crisis for reasons well publicised.
Could this be the reason why they are so pricey? Or am I the only one who is complaining?

delbiker1 04-01-24 01:36 PM

I can say with certainty that you are not the only complainer. From my experience, the increase in cost involves most bike tires. I do still see sales on occasion on some brands and different websites. I am in the USA, cannot comment on purchasing from Europe. I used to purchase a lot from CRC and PBK, they are no longer relevant on this side of the Atlantic.Also, when it comes to bike stuff, I hardly ever buy anything that is not on sale, only when I need an item quickly.

PeteHski 04-01-24 04:39 PM

CRC and PBK have gone down the pan. But I got the latest and greatest GP5000 AS TR for £69 each last week. From Sigma Sports in the UK. I think they ship to the US, but could be wrong.

datlas 04-01-24 05:21 PM

It’s not your imagination and you are not the only one complaining.

Shop around, but expect to pay more. You could look at other brands if the cost is prohibitive, but for me at least I am willing to cough up a bit more for good tires/tyres.

Fidler 04-01-24 11:46 PM

Ok, just wanted to confirm I wasn't dreaming. Because I did a search and normally ****** would be whinging about it non-stop
but there's not a peep from anyone. Guess this is what they mean by the new normal.

Sy Reene 04-02-24 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Fidler (Post 23202326)
Ok, just wanted to confirm I wasn't dreaming. Because I did a search and normally ****** would be whinging about it non-stop
but there's not a peep from anyone. Guess this is what they mean by the new normal.

Don't know what pricing would show for you in the UK, but about $39USD here, plus a bunch of shipping I assume though.
https://www.lordgun.com/continental-...re?color=Black

mstateglfr 04-02-24 07:56 PM

^ this. Was about to post the same thing.
$47 per tire delivered across the ocean and to my door in the middle of the US.

Based on the OP saying 'tyre' and 'pounds', the 32mm tire costs 42pounds delivered to the UK. Other sizes are similarly priced. So it looks like the tires are actually 20% cheaper than you usually pay.

choddo 04-02-24 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by mstateglfr (Post 23203277)

Based on the OP saying 'tyre' and 'pounds', the 32mm tire costs 42pounds delivered to the UK. Other sizes are similarly priced. So it looks like the tires are actually 20% cheaper than you usually pay.

You usually have to add import duty to that and a fee for the courier to handle the admin.

mstateglfr 04-02-24 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by choddo (Post 23203512)
You usually have to add import duty to that and a fee for the courier to handle the admin.

I have never had either of those charges from Lordgun or any other online overseas vendor on purchases that were under $750.
There is no import duty cost for the purchase of 2 tires from Lordgun, nor do I have to pay the courier more than what they are already paid.

eduskator 04-03-24 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by Fidler (Post 23201836)
These are my go to tyres...used to get them at Chair Reaction for about 50-55 pounds or so... for a bundled pair.
Now one tyre is 70 pounds and no bundle deals....anywhere in the UK.
They are 100% made in Germany which is going through some sort of manufacturing crisis for reasons well publicised.
Could this be the reason why they are so pricey? Or am I the only one who is complaining?

Time to try out a new brand! :innocent:

Tire prices are like the TSLA stock, they always go up and down. I buy a few of them whenever they get on sale to avoid needing to pay big bucks when I actually need a new one.

PeteHski 04-03-24 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by mstateglfr (Post 23203277)

I think the deal the OP referred to was £50 for 2x tyres, so £25 each.

choddo 04-04-24 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by mstateglfr (Post 23203514)
I have never had either of those charges from Lordgun or any other online overseas vendor on purchases that were under $750.
There is no import duty cost for the purchase of 2 tires from Lordgun, nor do I have to pay the courier more than what they are already paid.

Yeah but you're not in the UK. Duty free imports here from the US are capped at something like $50 including shipping.

SoSmellyAir 04-04-24 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by eduskator (Post 23203720)
I buy a few of them whenever they get on sale to avoid needing to pay big bucks when I actually need a new one.

This is why I hoard bicycle components too.

eduskator 04-05-24 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir (Post 23205434)
This is why I hoard bicycle components too.

It fills the shelves in the garage.

georges1 04-05-24 09:19 AM

I always purchased mine at bike 24 and never saw a price increase.

Sy Reene 04-05-24 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by choddo (Post 23205070)
Yeah but you're not in the UK. Duty free imports here from the US are capped at something like $50 including shipping.

Lordgun is in Italy. However, it could be the same story from a Euro country to the UK -- I have no idea.

mstateglfr 04-05-24 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by choddo (Post 23205070)

OK, that sounds like a local issue vs a tire cost issue.
For that tire, $41 per tire delivered to my door simply doesn't seem expensive. The thread is about how expensive that tire is and I view the cost I cited as an a non-issue.

Fidler 04-21-24 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Sy Reene (Post 23202425)
Don't know what pricing would show for you in the UK, but about $39USD here, plus a bunch of shipping I assume though.
https://www.lordgun.com/continental-...re?color=Black

Thanks for this...I was going to go with someone else but Lordgun had them for 40 pounds a tyre.
Even with international shipping, worked out a lot cheaper than other options.
Can't say I like how they put a surcharge on PayPal transactions...but I'd rather pay it because some
people have reported transactions with them that have gone bad.