Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Kick Stands and Helmets (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1177167)

gringomojado 07-01-19 06:21 PM

Kick Stands and Helmets

How many of you cyclists that use kickstands wear helmets?

Slightspeed 07-01-19 10:31 PM

Helmet yes, kickstand no.

What does a kickstand have to do with a helmet?

Al_in_NH 07-01-19 10:54 PM

I have an Electra Loft that I cruise around town on, and it has a kickstand. I wear an old Tilley hat when I ride it.

None of my other bikes have kickstands, and I wear a helmet on all of them.

alois 07-01-19 11:50 PM

There is indeed a correlation between my kickstand and helmet use. On all my bikes with a kickstand I never use a helmet, and on all my bikes without a kickstand I always use a helmet.

Ironfish653 07-02-19 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by alois (Post 21007050)
There is indeed a correlation between mij kickstand and helmet use. On all my bikes with a kickstand I never use a helmet, and on all my bikes without a kickstand I always use a helmet.

Pretty much this.

My townie/path bike has a kickstand and I usually don’t wear a helmet, except when I’m towing the tag-a-long.
The MTB, the commuter, and the “fast” road bike all get helmets.

canklecat 07-02-19 03:52 AM

I can't find a double helmet to go with the dual kickstand I want for my errand bike.

FlMTNdude 07-02-19 04:51 AM

Helmet always, kickstand is only on the beach cruiser

hillyman 07-02-19 05:00 AM

I'm still looks for a combination helmet/kickstand. Come on you crazy engineer/ designers, Kickstarter calls!?

livedarklions 07-02-19 05:11 AM

Next up: bike locks and water bottles.

Then: Rear racks and stem caps.

jpescatore 07-02-19 05:16 AM

Helmet always here, too, whether on the one bike with a kickstand or not. My wife used to push back about wearing helmets on rail trails until we came across the concussed woman whose head hit the rock on the ground.

I'm not religious about it - I've forgotten to put the helmet in the car when driving to a rail trail and just did the ride and of course no problem. But, wearing a helmet on a bike for me is just kind of like fastening the seat belt when driving the car - it is not a risk-based decision, I just do it.

FiftySix 07-02-19 06:22 AM

I could have sworn I've seen some people use helmets as kick stands by putting a helmet under a pedal?

:bike:

BobbyG 07-02-19 06:44 AM

Kickstands and helmets
and clickety clip-ins
Bright blinking bike lights and warm woolen mittens
Team-colored jerseys and Crane bells that ring
These are a few of my fav'rite bike things...

When the dog bites
when the bee stings
when I'm feeling fat
I just remember my favor'rite bike things
and then I don't feel so bad

(apologies to Richard Hart...and everyone else)

sdmc530 07-02-19 07:06 AM

Helmet always! Kickstands hell no!

indyfabz 07-02-19 07:13 AM

Srsly?!

jefnvk 07-02-19 07:20 AM

I've crashed enough to always wear a helmet these days. TO be quite honest, it is generally more comfortable than a hat anyhow.

Kickstands are on everything that can accommodate them besides the fat tire, where I have a legitimate concern about them getting caught up in vegetation.

beachball42 07-02-19 07:25 AM

My hybrid is my main bike that I use and it has a kickstand and I wear my helmet 90% of the time I ride it. My MTB doesn't have a kickstand and I always wear a helmet when I do ride it. Growing up I never wore a helmet like most people and honestly, there are a lot of times I feel like not wearing it.

TimothyH 07-02-19 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by FiftySix (Post 21007255)
I could have sworn I've seen some people use helmets as kick stands by putting a helmet under a pedal?

:bike:

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...40bc8b5ea3.jpg

Moe Zhoost 07-02-19 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by hillyman (Post 21007159)
I'm still looks for a combination helmet/kickstand. Come on you crazy engineer/ designers, Kickstarter calls!?

I attached a kickstand onto my helmet. It was a great way to mount my shaving mirror for an extra-large rear view. I was going to wait until next April to post this, but what the heck.

Kapusta 07-02-19 08:21 AM

I have always wanted to see one train wreck crash into another. This thread may deliver.

Listen up, Bike Forums, The gauntlet has been thrown down.

Well done.

Notso_fastLane 07-02-19 08:21 AM

I only have my commuter bike, and it has a kickstand because I use for errands, commuting, and fun riding, so the kickstand is handy enough to keep on it. Helmet: always.

My other ride is a velomobile that doesn't need a stand. Helmet: always.

Motorcycle helmet: always.

Kedosto 07-02-19 08:23 AM

What about those of us that wear kickstands strapped to our heads? Surely I’m not the only one.

-Kedosto

livedarklions 07-02-19 08:37 AM

What's the best helmet lube?

Kedosto 07-02-19 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by livedarklions (Post 21007474)
What's the best helmet lube?

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...b9c3d7906.jpeg

Butter flavor is more aero.

-Kedosto

CroMo Mike 07-02-19 06:26 PM

What's a kickstand?

BobbyG 07-03-19 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost (Post 21007430)
I attached a kickstand onto my helmet. It was a great way to mount my shaving mirror for an extra-large rear view.

Oh, great...let the "Strait Razor vs. Safety Razor" threads begin.