Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Touring (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Touring Underwear (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1173395)

revcp 05-19-19 06:08 AM

Touring Underwear

I know there are some out there who, like me, don't wear padded shorts when on tour. One of the challenges for us is to find a good pair of underwear that doesn't have seams in the crotch and doesn't ride up the legs. For a few years I've been wearing Arcteryx Phase SL underwear. I like them, but the legs do ride up a bit, and since my two pair are both showing the kind of wear that indicate they may not make it through my upcoming two-month tour, I've been auditioning alternatives. I have a winner.

Andiamo! makes unpadded unisex skins. The crotch is seamless, they are made of 94% Polyester, 6% Lycra. The fit is snug, but not tight, and they stay nicely in place. I like that they are relatively short rise, so they don't have the pull-up-under-your-armpits fit that some padded cycling shorts have. They don't lose their shape over a few days' wear, they wring out well and dry quickly. The fit is a bit odd, as I wear a medium in just about everything (5'10", 170#), but the large in these works best for me. The legs on the medium felt maybe a bit short or tight and kept wanting to pull the crotch down. I highly recommend them for anyone looking for good touring underwear. They are only $15 a pair. I would also recommend them to folk to wear under padded shorts as these would certainly be easier to clean and dry, and they would allow one to wear the same padded shorts for several days without laundering. Check them out. https://andiamounderwear.com/shop/un...kins-unpadded/

Tourist in MSN 05-19-19 07:55 AM

I use Ex Officio brand briefs. There is a seam, but it has never bothered me.

fietsbob 05-19-19 08:06 AM

My bike shorts have never been padded,, ever since the wool & sheepskin chamois era .. early 70's ..

but have had a liner panel of what is now a quick drying synthetic .. but no padding behind it...

the saddle may be leather.. its not padded either..

I did bring underwear on my bike tours.... and regular pants, for sightseeing & hanging out , with the locals, all day ..

revcp 05-19-19 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN (Post 20936909)
I use Ex Officio brand briefs. There is a seam, but it has never bothered me.

Those are my off the bike underwear on tour.

BlarneyHammer 05-19-19 04:12 PM

I'm vaguely threadjacking here. I use padded bike shorts.

For long-distance hiking, I prefer synthetic boxer briefs. They're small, lightweight, don't take up much space, and don't get drenched in sweat even when you're working hard. Equally comfortable both while hiking and while camping.

For touring, I wear wool loose boxers off the bike. Compared to synthetic boxer briefs, they weigh twice as much, take up twice as much room, and they're not as good for riding, in the event it's necessary. But after a full day in lycra shorts, I want something loose and airy.

Leebo 05-19-19 08:07 PM

OP, the idea of padded bike shorts is not to wear anything else besides them.

mstateglfr 05-19-19 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Leebo (Post 20937884)
OP, the idea of padded bike shorts is not to wear anything else besides them.

...but he doesn't wear padded bike shorts.

seedsbelize 05-20-19 05:04 AM

I use Champion wicking boxer briefs, riding or not riding. They do ride up some, but are unsurpassed for comfort. I have some Andiamos, both padded and unpadded, and prefer the Champions.

djb 05-20-19 06:29 AM

rev, these look just like what I used to wear back in the day, early 90s, under my padded bike shorts for the reasons you suggested.
In the end, despite them working alright, I finally realized that if I was going to wash the underwear at the end of every day, I might as well just wash my padded bike shorts.
Combined with getting better padded ones over the years that are more comfortable than the ones back then, I always have found good padded bike shorts without underwear along with a good seat (my leather Brooks) means generally no soreness issues, and I always have a second pair of shorts anyway if the first pair are not dry the next day.

but yes, these type without seams always worked pretty well, although for the life of me, I don't know why they make them in white, they really should be black.

jefnvk 05-20-19 07:18 AM

I generally use the Adidas compression boxer briefs, or a brand called Undertech that they sell at Meijer (for anyone in the midwest). Both have seams in useable places. Pumas were the only real no-go for me on a bike, their seams rubbed really bad in the saddle.

Originally Posted by djb (Post 20938220)
finally realized that if I was going to wash the underwear at the end of every day, I might as well just wash my padded bike shorts.

OTOH, I can carry a weeks worth of clean underwear in the space of a single pair of cycling shorts. Plus, I've never needed to bother with any sort of creams or butters wearing underwear. Double plus, if I want to change from cycling shorts to off-bike pants, it is much more appropriate to do so anywhere!

djb 05-20-19 08:01 AM

as with a lot of bike related stuff, in the end, whatever works for you is the best ("you" as in everyone)
I also found that in very hot riding conditions, only the padded bike shorts are the most comfortable for me, temperature wise and chafing wise.

so thanks to putting up the reference to these, for those who want to go that route.

revcp 05-20-19 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by djb (Post 20938220)
rev, these look just like what I used to wear back in the day, early 90s, under my padded bike shorts for the reasons you suggested.
In the end, despite them working alright, I finally realized that if I was going to wash the underwear at the end of every day, I might as well just wash my padded bike shorts.
Combined with getting better padded ones over the years that are more comfortable than the ones back then, I always have found good padded bike shorts without underwear along with a good seat (my leather Brooks) means generally no soreness issues, and I always have a second pair of shorts anyway if the first pair are not dry the next day.

but yes, these type without seams always worked pretty well, although for the life of me, I don't know why they make them in white, they really should be black.

They do come in black, and that's the color I wear. White could come in handy, however. When taking kids out on canoe trips I would instruct them to bring two pair of underwear, wear the first pair till they looked dirty, switch, then switch again when the first pair started looking better than what you switched to.

Tourist in MSN 05-20-19 10:26 AM

I really do not care what others say on this topic, but I wear the underwear under my padded bike shorts and I have no plans to change.

revcp 05-20-19 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN (Post 20938661)
I really do not care what others say on this topic, but I wear the underwear under my padded bike shorts and I have no plans to change.

Prepare to be savaged, even though it's, quite literally, no skin off anyone else's butt.

Tourist in MSN 05-20-19 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by revcp (Post 20938731)
Prepare to be savaged, even though it's, quite literally, no skin off anyone else's butt.

This topic has come up before. I have been told that I must be an idiot, can't follow instructions, do not know how to ride a bike, etc.

But there are no inspectors on a bike tour to inspect that you have the proper cycling uniform on before you are allowed to pass.

djb 05-20-19 11:17 AM

even though it's, quite literally, no skin off anyone else's butt.

that did make me chuckle.

and goodness gracious me Tourist, I am shocked, shocked that gambling is going on in this establishment!

indyfabz 05-20-19 11:24 AM

@Papa Tom is our resident expert on good uses for old underwear.

revcp 05-20-19 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 20938788)

Not sure I want to know. :twitchy:

indyfabz 05-20-19 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by revcp (Post 20938805)
Not sure I want to know. :twitchy:

https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/1...y-thought.html

I just re-read this thread. Some funny stuff in it. The comment with photo of the guy with the laundry on the back of the bike is the best.

revcp 05-20-19 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 20938846)

Ah. So for my upcoming two month tour, what's in the front panniers: underwear.

alan s 05-20-19 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN (Post 20938661)

I usually wear silk panties with a little bow in the front. How about you?

revcp 05-20-19 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by alan s (Post 20938928)
I usually wear silk panties with a little bow in the front. How about you?

Well, today is Monday, so if I were riding today I would be wearing the underwear that say "Monday" on them.

Papa Tom 05-20-19 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 20938788)

I've stayed away from the forums for a while because I always seem to be inadvertently offending people; however, I am always willing to put all that aside when I see a fellow bicyclist in crisis with regard to his or her tattered undies. So how may I be of service to you guys?

veganbikes 05-20-19 03:06 PM

I love my ExOfficio underwear and really don't wear anything else 99% of the time in normal day to day life. When cycling it is bibs or on shorter rides I might just wear cycling shorts. I don't like unpadded shorts for cycling, my derrière like a good chamois.

TimothyH 05-20-19 03:24 PM

Thanks guys.

Now I'm getting underewear ads whenever I look at bikeforums.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...ee8274760f.jpg