Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   popular street bike (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1222792)

RockiesDad 01-31-21 06:55 PM

popular street bike

Have you folks seen more of these types of bike recently? It seems all kids and teens that are getting into bikes are riding these 29" BMXs. Pretty neat bikes that can pull wheelies easily. Most are single speed but I've seen a few 10sp with disk brakes also. Good for short rides and just fooling around but might look a bit odd for us senior citizens...

https://www.sebikes.com/

chaadster 01-31-21 09:13 PM

I think they'd be a blast, but yeah, someone at my age and with my proclivities probably shouldn't be getting on that slippery slope, because as much as I want to "send it," my rickety carcass would just Friday Fail-it and I'd wind up in the hospital.

caloso 01-31-21 09:50 PM

I’ve seen those around town, and they look like a blast. Can’t really justify a bike like that, but I wish I could.

SurferRosa 01-31-21 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by RockiesDad (Post 21903879)
Have you folks seen more of these types of bike recently?

No.

Gresp15C 01-31-21 11:34 PM

Looks like fun. Oddly enough when MTB's first came out, a lot of folks dismissed them as just being for kids who had outgrown their BMX bikes. So maybe this is the next big thing. ;)

Wildwood 02-01-21 12:01 AM

i would SO under-utilize that beast. :o

hillyman 02-01-21 02:40 AM

I haven't seen a place that has used cartoon looking pics of it's products in awhile except maybe Duluth Trading.
Neat but not for my old arse.
Only time I do tricks like that now are accidentally and out of control.

Germany_chris 02-01-21 03:45 AM

That thing looks like a ton of fun

Ironfish653 02-01-21 06:31 AM

26” and 29” BMX are a silly amount of fun. For an 80’s BMX kid like me, they’re a cool throwback, since I still like to hoon around, even on my city bikes.
If I had a pump track anywhere near me, I’d probably have to add one to the fleet.

Reflector Guy 02-01-21 07:18 AM

I've never seen one of these.

Are they on the market already? I went to the Find A Dealer page and checked the websites of several shops near me but none of them listed SE Bikes as a brand they carry.

metz1295 02-01-21 07:25 AM

I looked at a 20" SE for my kid's first BMX bike. The guy working at my LBS actually talked me out of it. He said they're great if pulling wheelies is all you want to do. Not great handlers for BMX style riding. I wanted something a little more versatile for my kids first bike, so I waited for the Kinks to come back in to stock and paid an extra $100 for it. SE's are colorful though...

FBOATSB 02-01-21 07:57 AM

Their website says they have been around since the '70s, who knows how many times the SE brand has been bought and sold since then. Not interested enough to search further. Doubt I could stay on one more than a few minutes. I do like their price points though.

veganbikes 02-01-21 01:57 PM

SE is not quite the same SE from the 70s and the quality isn't quite there but I dig their ethos, they are trying to get young and old into riding and having fun and being part of a group for positive purposes. A big person BMX sounds like a fun time.

mack_turtle 02-01-21 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Reflector Guy (Post 21904368)
Are they on the market already?

yes, SE has been making different versions of their big bmx bikes for well over a decade. they're nothing new, but the trend caught on in some regions recently, so you'll probably see more of them. most likely, they're going to be popular in more densely populated cities where there's not much natural terrain for mountain biking and that sort of thing. it also seems to be more of a social phenomenon, not something you do solo but kind of a "party on wheels" mentality. it's a bit controversial with bougie people clutching their pearls over kids getting rowdy riding bicycles in the street. getting cranky boomers to yell at them is part of the fun. they seem to get a kick out of causing a disruption in traffic but it's not the worst thing kids could be getting into.

chaadster 02-02-21 07:44 AM

If people don’t know how legendary SE is, or know about how important bikes like the PK Ripper, Quadrangle, or Flyer are, they cannot understand what they’re looking at when they see these bikes.

mack_turtle 02-02-21 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by chaadster (Post 21906022)
If people don’t know how legendary SE is, or know about how important bikes like the PK Ripper, Quadrangle, or Flyer are, they cannot understand what they’re looking at when they see these bikes.

yeah. I mean, damn. please review BMX history 101.

2old 02-02-21 08:46 AM

AFAIK, the company was last owned by the Performance Bike conglomerate (along with Kestrel, Fuji and a few others) that went out off business a year or so ago and sold its assets. Solid bikes; my son had an original PK Ripper called a "Foiler" (AIR), manufactured by the originator, about 35 years ago. Probably worth a buck or two today.

chaadster 02-02-21 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by mack_turtle (Post 21906082)
yeah. I mean, damn. please review BMX history 101.

For sure that, absolutely, but in addition to that, there’s the fact that since the mid-‘00s, those SE retro bikes have created and defined a whole new genre of bikes, Big BMX, and fueled a whole new culture. The Big Ripper was the only bike in that space for years, and now it’s become a booming segment. The whole #bikelife culture is based on that, and what’s more is that it was really started by DC Shoes’ collab with SE to revive the PK Ripper, which through co-owner Ken Block, connects SE with the motorsports scene and right back to the bikelife thing. What SE is doing is organic; that the guy from Blink182 (i.e. Famous) did bikes with SE, NFL player “Beast Mode” Lynch, Public Enemy, Pabst, and boutique hotel chain The Standard, speaks to a very, very broad sense that the retro BMX thing SE started is truly cool. And it has been 15 years now, so you know we’re not talking about a fad, but rather a trend, and that so many have just missed it to date tells me it’s going to stick for awhile yet.

Rage 02-02-21 01:12 PM

They’re all over the place in NYC/NNJ.

I’d love to get ahold of one of the Public Enemy collabs. Sweet haha!

Reflector Guy 02-02-21 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by chaadster (Post 21906462)
...and that so many have just missed it to date tells me it’s going to stick for awhile yet.

I'm sure you're right, but those who have missed it thus far are probably just of an age (or our kids are) where the original BMX thing flew right under our radar. I think Mongoose is the only BMX brand I could think of on short notice. BMX was always "there", but I didn't know anyone who rode BMX, because we were all into 10-speeds.

I've seen the videos though.... Sam Pilgrim, and some others. I started watching them when he went to Walmart and bought some bikes to see if they'd hold up under his usual tricks. Now his videos keep being recommended every time I turn on the computer!

chaadster 02-02-21 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Reflector Guy (Post 21906491)
I'm sure you're right, but those who have missed it thus far are probably just of an age (or our kids are) where the original BMX thing flew right under our radar. I think Mongoose is the only BMX brand I could think of on short notice. BMX was always "there", but I didn't know anyone who rode BMX, because we were all into 10-speeds.

I've seen the videos though.... Sam Pilgrim, and some others. I started watching them when he went to Walmart and bought some bikes to see if they'd hold up under his usual tricks. Now his videos keep being recommended every time I turn on the computer!

I’m sure you’re right about the generational thing, and my point was just that as more people learn about this type of bike, I think they’ll find the styling, accessibility, and ease-of-use really appealing, which is why I forecast growth of the trend.

I love Pilgrim! He seems so good natured, his riding ability is unbelievable, and he’s a prolific content generator, too, that’s for sure! He must do three vids a month, at least. It would be supercool to see him shred on a PK!

CrowSeph 02-02-21 03:47 PM

Ohh please don't show moe more bike types , i'm running out of space in there :D
yeaaa they are really cool!

chaadster 02-02-21 04:45 PM

This is the Quad, from back in ‘12, which I’m still pissed off about passing on:

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...60fecbf8a1.jpg

jack pot 02-05-21 06:46 PM

I see kids on these styles - a few have 29ers - riding the skateboard park ... they let me chase them til i chicken out ... unless you wanna go full shred you (NOT ME) can pretty much do this kind of riding on a MTB barred Surly Steamroller :)

Ross200 02-05-21 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by mack_turtle (Post 21905146)
yes, SE has been making different versions of their big bmx bikes for well over a decade. they're nothing new, but the trend caught on in some regions recently, so you'll probably see more of them. most likely, they're going to be popular in more densely populated cities where there's not much natural terrain for mountain biking and that sort of thing. it also seems to be more of a social phenomenon, not something you do solo but kind of a "party on wheels" mentality. it's a bit controversial with bougie people clutching their pearls over kids getting rowdy riding bicycles in the street. getting cranky boomers to yell at them is part of the fun. they seem to get a kick out of causing a disruption in traffic but it's not the worst thing kids could be getting into.

+1 on the disruption. Around here they are playing chicken with fire trucks and ambulances on calls in addition to regular traffic. And other cyclists. They are also making moves to physically intimidate seniors out for a walk, in the crosswalk or on the sidewalk. Verbally harassing women of all ages walking or riding bikes. SO is reluctant to leave the house to ride alone as she is worried they will knock her off her bike.

Yeah, not the worst thing to be getting into now, but it is not going to end well.