Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   1st Post - New Synapse - Help! (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1181960)

Big Cohoona 08-24-19 11:17 AM

1st Post - New Synapse - Help!

Aloha Everyone!

First post here, but have already read dozens of threads and thought I'd ask for some advice.

I'm an older guy who grew up thrashing the East Coast on my Cannondale but just got back into cycling 2 years ago. 3,000 miles later (and 50 lbs lighter), I just found a great deal on a 2019 Cannondale Synapse frame with SRAM Red Components. The bike is sans crank and wheels so I'm fishing for some suggestions.

- Brakes are SRAM Red 22 Hydro - Hydraulic Disks
- Derailleurs are SRAM Red

Looking for crank, cassette, wheel, and tire suggestions.

I normally ride an 11-Speed 50/34T (Currently have Ultregra on my 2016 Roubaix SL4), with Conti GP 4000s II's. I have Fulcrum Racing S-Fours on the Roubaix, am open to tubeless but have never tried them, I'd also like to try 28's I think. Would love a power meter but cost is a consideration (I have kids), am interested in trying out Rotor Oval rings.

Looking to start racing in the next year or so (Masters Class) ... I'm also in the middle of nowhere North Dakota, so testing things out is somewhat limited.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Big~C (in weight only, lol).

alcjphil 08-24-19 01:32 PM

Apart from all other suggestions you will get, if you are interested in a power meter, look into pedal based systems. They are easy to add on later, and they are portable from bike to bike meaning that you could also use them your other very good bike. Just my take. If you are interested in tubeless, look into Mavic UST wheels. You don't have to fuss with taping your rims and the wheels usually come with tubeless tires included. My experience with tubeless has been with Campagnolo 2way fit wheels which also do not require taping. Over the 10 years I have been using them, I have found that each tire generation has become both easier to mount on the rim and easier to inflate, plus having better air retention, even without sealant if the tires are fully tubeless. Fulcrum wheels also offer the 2way fit option for some models

shelbyfv 08-24-19 01:52 PM

If the bike came with a crank, you could check for the press fit creak. Otherwise you have sort of a pig in a poke. There are ways around it for most frames but some are just too off. Warranty replacement probably would not be an option if you buy used.

melikebikey35 08-24-19 02:19 PM

Crank wise, I'm pretty sure you're pretty limited to what you can use due to Cannondale's weird BB30a. So your best best is to use a Cannondale crank. Cassette any sram will work. 11-28 if don't do a lot of climbing, 11-30/32 (depending on you derailleur/preference) if you do.

Wheels: I really like Hunt. Excellent craftsmanship, lightweight, fast, comfortable, and very reasonably priced. I went from a set of Zipp 404's to the Hunt 50's, and they out preform them in every aspect...and where half the price.
Tires: I've never used tubeless, so I can't comment...I've been very happy with the GP4000's and a tube, so I don't see the need to make a switch.

Then I agree with alcjphil about going with a pedal-based power meter. I have the PowerTap P1's and, other than them being on the heavy side, I've been very happy with them. And since the P2's were recently released, you can pick up the P1's for cheap.

waters60 08-24-19 02:31 PM

Veloflex Vlanderen 28 tubular tires. Love it.https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...1c7806464.jpeg
I’m partial to my setup. 2019 Synapse Di2 Campy Bora One tubular wheels , Veloflex Vlanderen 28

Big Cohoona 08-24-19 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by alcjphil (Post 21090590)
look into pedal based systems. They are easy to add on later, and they are portable from bike to bike
look into Mavic UST wheels. Fulcrum wheels also offer the 2way fit option for some models

Great suggestions, Thanks!

Big Cohoona 08-24-19 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by melikebikey35 (Post 21090643)
Crank wise, I'm pretty sure you're pretty limited to what you can use due to Cannondale's weird BB30a. So your best best is to use a Cannondale crank. Cassette any sram will work. 11-28 if don't do a lot of climbing, 11-30/32 (depending on you derailleur/preference) if you do.

Wheels: I really like Hunt.

Then I agree with alcjphil about going with a pedal-based power meter. I have the PowerTap P1's and, other than them being on the heavy side, I've been very happy with them. And since the P2's were recently released, you can pick up the P1's for cheap.

Excellent, thanks for the suggestions. Never heard of Hunt, I'll check them out. I need to check the extra weight of the crank-based power meter to a regular crank and see what the Pedal difference is overall... I think it was still significant if I remember correctly. I check out the PowerTap, another friend recommended that solution as well.

Thanks!

Big Cohoona 08-24-19 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by waters60 (Post 21090660)
Veloflex Vlanderen 28 tubular tires. Love it.
I’m partial to my setup. 2019 Synapse Di2 Campy Bora One tubular wheels , Veloflex Vlanderen 28

Nice setup! How have you liked the Synapse? I'll check out the Vlanderen... especially since I speak Vlanderen, lol.

melikebikey35 08-24-19 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Big Cohoona (Post 21090739)
Excellent, thanks for the suggestions. Never heard of Hunt, I'll check them out. I need to check the extra weight of the crank-based power meter to a regular crank and see what the Pedal difference is overall... I think it was still significant if I remember correctly. I check out the PowerTap, another friend recommended that solution as well.

Thanks!

Hunt is a relatively new brand, based in the UK that is just starting to catch on...definitely worth looking into.

Compared to the Quarq Dzero crank that I was also considering, it's about a 100-150g weight difference, depending on what pedals you then go with. I got the P1's for less than half of what the Quarq would have cost, so it would have been a massive difference in price, just to save some weight.

It's not a ton of weight, but you do notice it (my cadence has dropped since I started using them), since it's rotational weight. If price wasn't an issue, I would have gone with the Quarq