Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Diagnosing Skin Blemishes Related to Indoor Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1290174)

Harold74 03-21-24 03:49 PM

Diagnosing Skin Blemishes Related to Indoor Cycling

I have made an appointment with a dermatologist. Unfortunately, that appointment is in August (Canada healthcare).

I'm going to attempt to diagnose and treat this myself somehow while I wait for my dermatologist appointment.

The photo below is of my rib cage area. The spots on my skin came on shortly after I took up indoor cycling last spring. They don't seem to be spreading, they are only on my chest and stomach, they don't itch or hurt, and they fade somewhat when I don't ride for a while.

I've switched to riding shirtless in a hurricane and I've been scrubbing my torso raw in the shower as soon as I get off of the bike. To no avail it seems. I'm also type 2 diabetic for what that's worth.

Anybody dealt with anything similar and willing to hazard a diagnosis and/or treatment option?

Have no fear, I'll not treat anyone's advice as being on par with that of a qualified medical professional.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...805a557e81.jpg
Blotchy skin.

Koyote 03-21-24 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Harold74 (Post 23191328)
They don't seem to be spreading, they are only on my chest and stomach, they don't itch or hurt, and they fade somewhat when I don't ride for a while.

So why are you worried about them?

skidder 03-21-24 04:01 PM

Do they appear when you ride outdoors? Are you wearing something on your torso that may cause some irritation, maybe polyester with some graphic design on it whose ink (Screenprinted or sublimated) is causing issues? (maybe just try a cotton shirt for a while?). Are you wearing a chest strap (heart monitor or similar device) that may be causing irritation. Its indoors where you're seeing it, so it can't be a reaction to sunscreen. If you can't see a dermatologist for 6 months try some variations (like what I mentioned) to see what happens and maybe narrow down when it occurs for the doctor when you go in for your appointment.

Harold74 03-21-24 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Koyote (Post 23191331)
So why are you worried about them?

My wife is not too excited about having me nearby shirtless.

Harold74 03-21-24 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by skidder (Post 23191336)
Do they appear when you ride outdoors? Are you wearing something on your torso that may cause some irritation, maybe polyester with some graphic design on it whose ink (Screenprinted or sublimated) is causing issues? (maybe just try a cotton shirt for a while?). Are you wearing a chest strap (heart monitor or similar device) that may be causing irritation. Its indoors where you're seeing it, so it can't be a reaction to sunscreen. If you can't see a dermatologist for 6 months try some variations (like what I mentioned) to see what happens and maybe narrow down when it occurs for the doctor when you go in for your appointment.

I got the blemishes during indoor season. They become temporarily more prominent after an outdoor ride now, just as they do with indoor.

I've only ever ridden indoors with a cotton shirt. Some do have graphics.

I was wearing a chest strap HRM but I switched to a lower arm version a couple of months ago.

My laypersons read on it is that inadequate hygiene led to me being colonized in some way and that, perhaps, it will be resolved once I kill off the first batch of colonizers.

I did my first season indoor without a fan which most folks find bonkers. Heat wasn't a problem and I don't seem to sweat much relative to other people. I did sweat my way to some moderately damp shirts though. And, on occasion, I took the dog out after riding without a shower in-between.

Thank you for your comments.

Koyote 03-21-24 04:26 PM

I would get rid of the cotton t-shirt and at least try a dri-fit or similar top.

Maybe also spray some Tinactin or some other anti-fungal on it; it can't hurt.

Trakhak 03-21-24 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Koyote (Post 23191365)
I would get rid of the cotton t-shirt and at least try a dri-fit or similar top.

Maybe also spray some Tinactin or some other anti-fungal on it; it can't hurt.

I've recently begun applying isopropyl alcohol to my armpits before rides - especially my 2-hour indoor rides. The OP might consider using the same on the areas that tend to become blotchy, maybe both before and after rides, if a shower isn't going to happen immediately.

Yan 03-21-24 05:32 PM

It's just a heat rash. Nothing to worry about.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miliaria

indyfabz 03-21-24 06:21 PM

Where in Canada is it not still indoor season? :D

pdlamb 03-21-24 06:30 PM

98% of the time my dermatologist looks at things like this and says, "seborrheic dermatitis." Which, when I pressed once, he translated into English as "skin spots."

Of course, I've also heard "basal cell" and he told my wife once, "squamous cell." So it's worth getting it checked out.

FWIW it took about four months to get an appointment last year, here in 'Murka. Dermatologists are amazingly rare for the demand for them and for the little nights and weekends work they have to do. The blame doesn't exclusively belong to Canadian health care.

dedhed 03-21-24 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by pdlamb (Post 23191524)
FWIW it took about four months to get an appointment last year, here in 'Murka. Dermatologists are amazingly rare for the demand for them and for the little nights and weekends work they have to do. The blame doesn't exclusively belong to Canadian health care.

Yeah, 4-6 months is common on dermatologist. But once they cut something off me and did a biopsy I get appointments they hold back much quicker.

LarrySellerz 03-21-24 08:40 PM

This doesn’t look like something a doctor would be able to help you with, especially one in Canada (no offense)

BATTLESTAR75 03-21-24 09:40 PM

Try an OTC anti-fungal. I can't remember the name but I think it ended in "ole". Heard about it on BF for jock itch. Worked great.

unterhausen 03-21-24 10:18 PM

I suggest a light wool blend t-shirt.

It's really easy to get heat rash indoors. It takes mid-summer heat outdoors for me to get it here in Central Pennsylvania. I got a fairly bad case of it one summer because of my helmet straps, so it was on my face. It just so happened that was the summer everybody at work was getting over shingles. They all told me I was coming down with shingles and I should go to a doctor. He laughed at me and gave me some anti-fungal crème.

shelbyfv 03-22-24 06:01 AM

Could be Ringworm. Another vote for anti-fungal spray or cream. Takes 6 months or more to get a Derm appt here, plus it costs more.:rolleyes:

MoAlpha 03-22-24 11:40 AM

Doesn't look like fungus, but I don't know what it is. If you're concerned take it to a qualified provider, not the internet.

Harold74 03-22-24 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Yan (Post 23191452)
It's just a heat rash. Nothing to worry about.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miliaria

Thanks for your comment, I'll look into that. I'm skeptical though. My blemishes don't have that localized, pimply character shown in the Wikipedia photos. I also don't have any of the itchiness usually described as a symptom.

Harold74 03-22-24 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 23192110)
Doesn't look like fungus, but I don't know what it is. If you're concerned take it to a qualified provider, not the internet.

I made it pretty clear at the top that I'm pursuing both of those strategies. As an adult, and the owner of the body with the blemishes on it, I reserve the right to do whatever I feel is best.

Harold74 03-22-24 12:12 PM

It's interesting to know that wait times are similar in the US.

I'm tempted to try out this online, remotederm thing: Link. Probably out of pocket but no referal.

Harold74 03-22-24 12:14 PM

Regarding what I wear for a shirt, I'll factor the recommendations in for a time in the future when the rash is gone.

For now, I'm simply not wearing a shirt. And I've abandoned the chest strap HRM. So nothing on the affected area.

zandoval 03-22-24 12:14 PM

Need more pics. Especially of your back. You can also take pics using a UV light. Light the kind used to check USA dollars for the ultraviolet stripe.

Most likely its Tinea Versicolor...

Harold74 03-22-24 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Trakhak (Post 23191373)
I've recently begun applying isopropyl alcohol to my armpits before rides - especially my 2-hour indoor rides. The OP might consider using the same on the areas that tend to become blotchy, maybe both before and after rides, if a shower isn't going to happen immediately.

I'm going to try this, among other things. Easy to apply in conjunction with chest hair and doesn't leave an odor. Definitely in the "won't hurt anything" category for me.

What's the theory behind your usage of Isopropyl if I may ask? Particularly, your using it before rides rather than after. Are you trying to clean out your pores to prevent blockages etc?

streetsurfer 03-22-24 12:19 PM

I just laugh when I go in with a symptom described in layman's terms, and they come back with what means the very same, but in latin, as the dx.

are they whealed up any? I'm guessing not though, without the itch. Histamine reaction if so, maybe.

I've seen post covid wheals soothed and removed by an application of coconut or apple cider vinegar.

I got itchy welted rashes randomly after a lonestar tick bite.

Just some ideas. Not any sort of a diagnosis. Looks like freckling to me.

streetsurfer 03-22-24 12:22 PM

Residual Citrus oils from soaps, or consumption of buckwheat, and some other things can cause skin to be more reactive to sun exposure.

Harold74 03-22-24 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by zandoval (Post 23192162)
Need more pics. Especially of your back. You can also take pics using a UV light. Light the kind used to check USA dollars for the ultraviolet stripe.

Most likely its Tinea Versicolor...

Back is clear. Don't have UV light on hand.

Tinea Versicolor does seem to have a similar presentation. And that might be a nice option since it would be treatable with antifungal (hopefully topical and not oral).

Thanks.