Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Bike Tires Question..Help?? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=689094)

rayr0683 10-20-10 08:18 AM

Bike Tires Question..Help??

Hello All,
I have a 1985 Schwinn Le Tour Luxe in very nice condition, I bought this new in 1985. The question I have is this...........The Tires on my Schwinn are 27" Tires, which are called Schwinn Passage Gumwall Touring Tires. The Tires have an inflation of 90 PSI. I had to recently change the innertubes, and when I had the Tires off of the rim, I noticed that the Sidewall/Gumwall felt kind of Hardened/Dry....not very elastic/rubbery. I was wondering about replacing them. I have seen typical Gumwall Tires at my Local Bike Shops, which are about $14.00 each....and then there are some 27" Tires that they sell which are $40.00 a tire.
The Bike Shop Tech. told me that the more expensive 27" Tires had some radial, or Kevlar belt built in, to help prevent flats. But I read on Sheldon Brown's Site that if you have a Classic Road Bike, such as this Schwinn LeTour Luxe, from the 1985 era, even if the tires feel kind of stiff or brittle, as long as they aren't all worn out, TREADWISE....that you may be replacing them with new tires that are way inferior to what you have on it....even when talking about the $40.00 a Tire..Tires! He said that the Special Dual Hard Schwinn Tires, from this time, were very good tires, and if still have tread, and can be mounted, and filled with no problems, then by all means, ride on them. They were excellent tires. Mine in Particular are called Passage Tires by Schwinn.

I have filled mine, and aside from my saddle issues, I notice that theese tires feels smooth on my neighborhood streets, but when I make turns, around corners, I get kinda stiff/nervous, because the tires sometimes slide a bit, like I may fall. I must admit, there is some sandy type dirt usually at corners of streets, I wondered if I should replace the Tires.

In 27" Inch Tires I have seen the basic gumwalls for $14.00.....then a better 27" Tire with Flat Protection built in, for about $27.00 per Tire....and Finally I see the Racing Tires that are in the $40.00 and up range...Continental, etc... But, There are also Kendas 27" Tires, that are Knobby Treaded Tires, that will fit my Bike, and are made more for any possible off road/Gravel Type Riding....Any recomendations for the Tires?? Keeping Original Passage?? Or, Getting new 27" Tires, if so, which kind ? I know the Knobby Treads wont be as smooth as what I have been using, but may be better when forced into dirt/grass areas alongside shoulders of the roads.......Thanks, Ray

that_guy_zach 10-20-10 08:20 AM

Panaracer's are the bees knees. Nashbar has them for 17.00 each right now.

bikemanbob 10-20-10 09:34 AM

Without seeing them, it is hard to say if you need to replace them. Did the bike tech say that you should replace them? I generally don't replace them if they are in good/fair condition. Or I keep the originals in a safe place and buy others to ride. Then if I want to change back to keep everything original, I can.

auchencrow 10-20-10 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by rayr0683 (Post 11650306)
.... I noticed that the Sidewall/Gumwall felt kind of Hardened/Dry....not very elastic/rubbery. I was wondering about replacing them. ...

Wonder no more : REPLACE them. Don't ride them.

+1 to the 27" Panaracer Pasellas.

sillygolem 10-22-10 12:59 AM

I asked about this on this forum about a month ago and everyone recommended the Pasellas, but they were out of stock in 1 1/4" width everywhere I looked. I opted for Cheng Shin tires and I've been really happy with them so far.

Capecodder 10-22-10 02:57 AM

Those tires are junk throw them out and get a new pair. For $12.00-$20.00 each you can buy fantastic tires and save yourself whole lot of trouble out on the road. I can tell you there is nothing worse than sitting on the side of the road with a blow-out that you can't repair due to a failed tire that should have been replaced.