Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Hybrid Bicycles (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=290)
-   -   Ergon grips a big improvement over Trek IsoZone grips ? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=956159)

prime winner 06-28-14 07:09 AM

Ergon grips a big improvement over Trek IsoZone grips ?

Are the Ergon basic GS1 grips much better than the Trek IsoZone grips? I currently have the IsoZone grips on a standard handlebar so I dont have the inner rubber padding on the bar, I just have the grip itself. and Ive already got bar ends so I wouldnt need the Ergons with the built in bar ends.

Daddy Wags 06-28-14 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by prime winner (Post 16889540)
Are the Ergon basic GS1 grips much better than the Trek IsoZone grips? I currently have the IsoZone grips on a standard handlebar so I dont have the inner rubber padding on the bar, I just have the grip itself. and Ive already got bar ends so I wouldnt need the Ergons with the built in bar ends.

Having just tested a handful of performance hybrids, like the Trek FX's, I found the FX grips to be the most comfortable. I ended up buying Giant Escape and will probably replace the stock grips with Ergon GP 5's aka GC 3. In my research, riders rave about the Ergon grips. At my LBS I saw them first hand and they appeared to be a quality product.

camjr 06-28-14 10:18 AM

My Fuji Absolute came with Oval Ergo grips and I swapped them out for Ergon GP2 grips with the small bar ends. While the Ergon grips are more firm, they are a big improvement because of the multiple options to place the hands. I would say the Trek grips I've tried were better than the Oval grips, but I would make the switch to Ergons.

fietsbob 06-28-14 10:33 AM

I have Ergon GR3 , but they're on my Brompton, (shorter bar-end doesnt messwith the fold much)

GR5 is their longest bar end .. full fist grip end.

Big Flat surface is a help ..

the integration of a bar end with the grip means you dont have the hard metal clamp
digging into your hand .. I wouldn't be attached to your existing metal bar end ..

compare ?, not realistic, I don't own an IsoZone too.

Ergon's 1 in & 1 out on a cardboard tube packaging allows you , in the Bike Shop,
to hold the grip in your hand and feel it .

themishmosh 06-28-14 07:56 PM

I personally cannot recommend Ergon grips with integrated bar ends. At a later date, if you decided you wanted a different style bar end, there is no inexpensive solution. You would have to buy another Ergon grip with bar end or buy separate grip and bar ends. Good bar ends can be had for $20 or less. Ergons grips with bar ends are not cheap at all.

simplybao 06-28-14 08:18 PM

I just installed the ergon gc5 on my giant. I went for a 32 mile ride today after installing them and I love them. I like them better Han the isozone. There's a larger flat area to lay your palms on. I like the fill length bar ends because I can put my hands anywhere.

Of course, YMMV.

Wanderer 06-29-14 07:14 AM

I have the Ergon GP-1,s and love them. Can't speak to the Trek grips, but the adaptability, adjustability of the GP-1s is wonderful. You can add anything to them. Bar ends, bolt on drops, Myrricle mirrors, etc

Mindcrime 07-01-14 08:31 AM

I have Ergon GP5s, and absolutely love them. Would never go back to just the flat bar. The grip itself is MUCH more comfortable for longer distances, and the bar ends offer several more hand positions, and if you mount them pointing mostly forward, a more stretched out position to get more weight over your front tire on climbs, which I find helps as well.

yashinon 07-01-14 03:55 PM

I have the Ergrom GS2 and love them. Very comfortable!

Ergon 07-03-14 08:24 AM

Thanks for all the kind words!

Just a heads up, the Trek IsoZone grips and bars only fit Trek IsoZone products. So other brand grips will NOT fit on an IsoZone handlebar. If you have a Trek IsoZone handlebar and grips, you will need to purchase a new handlebar to fit Ergon grips....or any other brand of grips. The IsoZone products are not an industry standard in the grip area.

This was brought to our attention by some Trek dealers as well as other Ergon users who tried to fit our grips to an IsoZone handlebar.

Jeff K.
Ergon Bike USA

lemiklos 08-04-21 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Ergon (Post 16904646)

Just a heads up, the Trek IsoZone grips and bars only fit Trek IsoZone products. So other brand grips will NOT fit on an IsoZone handlebar. If you have a Trek IsoZone handlebar and grips, you will need to purchase a new handlebar to fit Ergon grips....or any other brand of grips. The IsoZone products are not an industry standard in the grip area.

This was brought to our attention by some Trek dealers as well as other Ergon users who tried to fit our grips to an IsoZone handlebar.

Jeff K.
Ergon Bike USA

I wish I'd read this prior to purchasing the Ergon GP5 grips and taken them to get installed at my Trek bike shop. Apparently, they got everything apart and tried installation before finding out they won't fit on the Isobar of my Women's Trek FX4. I was told I'd have to get a new bar if I wanted to use the GP5 grips. Is that the only fix? Asking since this post is 7 years old and didn't know if things changed or there was an adapter or something out there to resolve the issue.

MrWasabi 08-04-21 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Ergon (Post 16904646)

Jeff K.
Ergon Bike USA

Good to know. Thank you.

encode2 08-05-21 05:21 AM

I recently purchased a set of GP3 and find them more comfortable than the stock grips.

DarkSkyHUnter 08-05-21 08:38 AM

I just installed the SQLabs 702 grips on my Isobar. What an improvement. The isogrips have to be the biggest bust on the market when it comes to grips. I was constantly getting numbness, especially on slower, social rides.

For those wondering, they work just fine over the white foam.

Next step is to change out the SQLabs 411 for the 410/402. These integrate with the 702 grips.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ref_=pd_gw_unk