Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Apparel company? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1097011)

googldocs1101 02-05-17 07:03 PM

Apparel company?

Anyone have a favorite apparel company for cycling kit?

I personally like dhb and Louis Garneau. I am going to try Twin Six this season. I'm thinking of ordering 1 bib and 2 tops. See how that goes.

realyfishy 02-05-17 07:35 PM

I'm starting to like Pactimo. I'm not crazy about Garneau's shorts, even the Pro, but again fit's personal.

drlogik 02-05-17 09:04 PM

Half my kit is USA made Voler. The other half is Italian made Santini. As far as style, quality and customer service both are great. I hate to admit it but I do like the Santini better just because of the style.

I have kit from other name-brand makers (Giordana, Rapha, Pearl Izumi, etc) but for the money you can't beat Voler or Santini in my opinion.

-

Shimagnolo 02-05-17 09:05 PM

Cycling Apparel, Bike Shorts, Bike Jerseys by Aero Tech Designs

indyfabz 02-05-17 09:38 PM

Rapha.

BTW...A few years ago I met a first cousin of Garneau while riding the Cape May-Lewes ferry during a day ride out of Avalon, NJ. He ad his wife had driven down from Canada.

cb400bill 02-05-17 09:46 PM

Assos make nice stuff.

TimothyH 02-05-17 10:51 PM

7Mesh.
Nothing even comes close.

-Tim-

googldocs1101 02-06-17 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 19359848)
Rapha.

BTW...A few years ago I met a first cousin of Garneau while riding the Cape May-Lewes ferry during a day ride out of Avalon, NJ. He ad his wife had driven down from Canada.

I always make it a point to go out to Cape May, however it never happens.

googldocs1101 02-06-17 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by drlogik (Post 19359778)
Half my kit is USA made Voler. The other half is Italian made Santini. As far as style, quality and customer service both are great. I hate to admit it but I do like the Santini better just because of the style.

I have kit from other name-brand makers (Giordana, Rapha, Pearl Izumi, etc) but for the money you can't beat Voler or Santini in my opinion.

-

I have a santini bib short. It is a nice piece of kit although it is rather see through due to the fact they are another color other than black?

drlogik 02-06-17 05:53 AM

My Santini's are all black. Mine are not see through.

Garfield Cat 02-06-17 07:07 AM

If compression is high on the list of wants, I pick 2XU. Not just cycling.

Premium Cycling Clothing | 2XU

reddog3 02-06-17 07:38 AM

Levi Strauss... cuz they don't look like I borrowed my wife's yoga pants.

bruce19 02-06-17 08:17 AM

Assos.

ptempel 02-06-17 08:22 AM

For regular bibs, I like the Performance Elite bibs I got last season. Might get another as my old Giordana ones wear out and feel looser. For some other stuff (gloves, long sleeve thermal jersey, etc) Perl Izumi seems to have good bang for buck.

prj71 02-06-17 08:44 AM

The cheap chinese apparel sold on Amazon that is 1/4 to 1/3 of the price of the name brand bike apparel yet just as good.

bmthom.gis 02-06-17 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by googldocs1101 (Post 19360151)

I spent 8 "fun filled" weeks there at USCG TRACEN Cape May. Don't really care to go back

ptempel 02-06-17 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by prj71 (Post 19360373)
The cheap chinese apparel sold on Amazon that is 1/4 to 1/3 of the price of the name brand bike apparel yet just as good.

Can you give a link to an example? I'm always curious about other mfrs giving good value. I've read conflicting reports about cheap clothing from them. Seems to depend on who is making the item, I guess. Also a lot of cycling items that I have seen from Chinese companies seems to be the replica team kits. I used to wear some of it years ago, but prefer non-team kit if available. I would have supported my LBS, but they wanted $150 for a regular bib short. Really? Its even harder to justify $150 vs $60 for the Performance bibs.

TenSpeedV2 02-06-17 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by reddog3 (Post 19360241)
Levi Strauss... cuz they don't look like I borrowed my wife's yoga pants.

Levi's on a century ride in the middle of the summer in near triple digit temps with 98% humidity. Seems ideal. :rolleyes:

indyfabz 02-06-17 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by googldocs1101 (Post 19360151)

Was staying with the GF and her parents' house in Avalon. (Rode down there from Philly for a week.) Rode to Cape May, took the ferry to Lewes, DE and then rode the Rehoboth, DE for lunch. The GF was wearing a pair of LG shorts so the cousin struck up a conversation with us.

On the way back a group do dolphins swan straight to the boat before submerging before getting run over. They like to play like that.

It's a nice little trip, even if you just get the ferry from Cape May and ride to Rehoboth. You can get there from Lewes almost entirely on trails, including some in Cape Henlopen State Park. The non-trail parts use mostly roads with wide bike lanes.

ptempel 02-06-17 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2 (Post 19360525)
Levi's on a century ride in the middle of the summer in near triple digit temps with 98% humidity. Seems ideal. :rolleyes:

Better bring along a lot of chamois buttr. But even that won't help when your underwear seams dig into your skin and become a gleuteus maximus hatchet. Yeeeah, ah, no...

indyfabz 02-06-17 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2 (Post 19360525)

+1. Or while descending for 26 miles from 8,000' in rain, sleet and snow. I will leave the leg warmers and rain pants at home the next time I might face that again.

bmthom.gis 02-06-17 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 19360534)
Was staying with the GF and her parents' house in Avalon. (Rode down there from Philly for a week.) Rode to Cape May, took the ferry to Lewes, DE and then rode the Rehoboth, DE for lunch. The GF was wearing a pair of LG shorts so the cousin struck up a conversation with us.

On the way back a group do dolphins swan straight to the boat before submerging before getting run over. They like to play like that.

It's a nice little trip, even if you just get the ferry from Cape May and ride to Rehoboth. You can get there from Lewes almost entirely on trails, including some in Cape Henlopen State Park. The non-trail parts use mostly roads with wide bike lanes.

Can also ride south to Ocean City pretty easily. The highway from Rehoboth-south has some great bike lanes. Lots of riding on the DelMarVa to be done.
My grandparents lived in Rehoboth - I spent a lot of time there, and a number of years in Salisbury.

prj71 02-06-17 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by ptempel (Post 19360519)
Can you give a link to an example? I'm always curious about other mfrs giving good value. I've read conflicting reports about cheap clothing from them. Seems to depend on who is making the item, I guess. Also a lot of cycling items that I have seen from Chinese companies seems to be the replica team kits. I used to wear some of it years ago, but prefer non-team kit if available. I would have supported my LBS, but they wanted $150 for a regular bib short. Really? Its even harder to justify $150 vs $60 for the Performance bibs.

These are the shorts I have been buying. Just as good as the $80-$100 shorts you find out there.

https://www.amazon.com/SANTIC-Cyclin...tic&th=1&psc=1

I don't wear bib shorts, but here are some that are reasonable. If they wear out. You can buy 4 of them for the price price of what the LBS is charging.

https://www.amazon.com/Lameda-Padded...b+shorts&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Baleaf-Mens-P...ing+bib+shorts

Basically just type in the item you are interested in and see what pops up.

Eddie72 02-06-17 01:23 PM

I like Rapha, you can still find some sale items hidden away in the "archive sale" bit on the website.

indyfabz 02-06-17 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie72 (Post 19361002)
I like Rapha

You are an elitist who has been brainwashed by Madison Avenue Industrial Complex into thinking that you must part with your money in return for overpriced crap! For what Rapha sells for $100 you could get something ten times better on Alibaba $0.69 ;)

P.S. I have a Rapha base layer that has be wondering how I ever lived without it.