Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   C&V under 40 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1160457)

Raleigh74 11-17-18 09:47 PM

C&V under 40

It seems that a large majority of C&V posters were around when many of the bikes we love were new, or at least remember them not being “vintage”.

Just out of pure curiosity, how many of you are under 40? I’m 36 and I seem to be largely alone in my age group in the area I live in. Actually, I rarely see another vintage bike in the wild regardless of rider age.

There are cities nearby that have stronger markets for C&V with younger people posting for sale, so I know the appreciation is there.

davester 11-17-18 10:24 PM

I ride with a group of here that has some 40-something vintage riders (I'm 64), and one vintage-rider group member just had his 30th birthday. The younger guys did not grow up with these bikes like me but are enamored with the aesthetics.

Raleigh74 11-17-18 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by davester (Post 20667721)
I ride with a group of here that has some 40-something vintage riders (I'm 64), and one vintage-rider group member just had his 30th birthday. The younger guys did not grow up with these bikes like me but are enamored with the aesthetics.

I live in the foothills, but not far from the Appalachian mountains so many of my friends ride mountain bikes. I’m definitely viewed as the crazy one for my affinity towards 40+ year old bikes. Everyone around here seems to ride modern road bikes.

If there was a stronger for sale market I would be cleaning up, but it’s slim pickings. The best bike I own spent 30 years in an Ohio attic before being brought local to me and put up for sale by the original owner. Serious biking is relatively new to this city.

HarborBandS 11-17-18 11:25 PM

I’m on the other side of 40, but still early 40’s. I feel like I was just 36 yesterday, though. 😜

In the city of Chicago I see a lot of younger people riding vintage road bikes. And most still haven’t been converted in to fixies. I think it’s actually pretty hip to ride a vintage road bike, but the passion may not be there for fixing them up or restoring them. I think it’s just basic cheap urban transportation for a lot of people.

Chr0m0ly 11-17-18 11:29 PM

I just turned 40 last month, but I’m in Chicago where lots of folks ride and a lot of people of all ages ride vintage.

What I don’t seem to find are many people interested in the details, the tube sets, the component levels, that sort of thing.

Doesn’t seem to make riding any less fun for those guys though. In fact... maybe the opposite...

The Golden Boy 11-17-18 11:31 PM

I'm working on 50, but I wasn't into bikes until the past 10 years or so.

noobinsf 11-17-18 11:48 PM

42 here... I haven’t really done any group rides, but it’s mostly because I’m working on fitness and not yet confident in my ability to avoid being the boat anchor of the group. I kind of like that my vintage bikes are typically the only ones I see in the bike cage at work.

greg3rd48 11-18-18 12:01 AM

I just turned 40 and have been into C&V for the past four years.

RiddleOfSteel 11-18-18 12:24 AM

I am sorry to hear your lack of C&V-enjoying peers! I'm 34 and I can't fully get away from these things...and I don't wish to. I am spoiled for choice for bikes being here in the NW, and in Seattle in particular, and there are C&V riders younger than 40 around here. But as far as, say, active BF members here or part of other things, it's more like they happen to ride an '80s bike but aren't neck deep in it. If one gets out into the suburbs instead of near downtown where I live, it turns into hybrids and mountain bikes (as commuters!) real fast. I'm a road guy through and through so you're likely never to see me on a MTB. So like you, if I moved out of the city, then the vintage stuff sparse, and even more so for us in this age bracket.

In short, there are a few of us, but we're a bit spread out, even given dense bike-friendly cities. Keep the faith, as some say (at least in this non-spiritual context), we're around here!

jetboy 11-18-18 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by noobinsf (Post 20667802)
42 here... I haven’t really done any group rides, but it’s mostly because I’m working on fitness and not yet confident in my ability to avoid being the boat anchor of the group. I kind of like that my vintage bikes are typically the only ones I see in the bike cage at work.

we should go riding once the smoke clears. 44 and only fast going downhill - as I know there is beer down there.

noobinsf 11-18-18 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by jetboy (Post 20667834)
we should go riding once the smoke clears. 44 and only fast going downhill - as I know there is beer down there.

The smoke and this wet nose I just inherited from my daughters. But yes, it’s a deal!

CliffordK 11-18-18 12:53 AM

About 2 years ago for the Portland Velocult C&V ride, the cyclist with the oldest bicycle was the youngest rider. 20's???

cinco 11-18-18 03:09 AM

38. Been playing with old bikes since I was 23. Not only am I alone in my age group around here, I'm alone in my interest. I've met two or three other people of any age who are genuinely interested in classic bikes, but they're in neighboring cities at least a half-hour away.

RiddleOfSteel 11-18-18 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by CliffordK (Post 20667853)
About 2 years ago for the Portland Velocult C&V ride, the cyclist with the oldest bicycle was the youngest rider. 20's???

I'm trying to remember who that could have been. I know I brought my '74 Paramount one time. It's a full decade older than I am.

Group rides like that are great as it just gets us out there, including those of us that are only as old as our bikes. :lol:

cb400bill 11-18-18 04:40 AM

I'm not in the under 40 age group, but the buyers of the majority of my CL flips have been from college age to mid 30's.

Narhay 11-18-18 06:21 AM

jimmuller 11-18-18 06:33 AM

I have been 40 for the past 30 years and I can attest that one needn't go past 40 at all.

natterberry 11-18-18 07:36 AM

28 here. The bikes I’m interested in will usually be older than me.

515Cycling 11-18-18 08:23 AM

55 here. I feel like many of guys that are going back and getting the bikes we lusted after when we were kids. It’s cool that there are younger riders interested in these bikes.

rickrob 11-18-18 09:25 AM

I'm 59 and started riding again 10 years ago. (on my 81 Schwinn Le Tour, that I bought new) The Schwinn is gone now, but I've built up a bunch of C+V bikes.

Raleigh74 11-18-18 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by jimmuller (Post 20667958)
I have been 40 for the past 30 years and I can attest that one needn't go past 40 at all.

Sage advice :D

jon c. 11-18-18 09:37 AM

I work at a large university and most of the students are on hybrids, but among the road bikes probably 30 - 40% are C & V. Don't know whether those young riders are on older bikes because they appreciate the vintage nature of them or if they ride them simply because that's what was available.

ollo_ollo 11-18-18 09:44 AM

Barely under Forty times two, but my son and some of the grand kids appreciate vintage bikes. Keep on riding, even if not vintage. Good for mind & body. Don

Raleigh74 11-18-18 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by jon c. (Post 20668153)
I work at a large university and most of the students are on hybrids, but among the road bikes probably 30 - 40% are C & V. Don't know whether those young riders are on older bikes because they appreciate the vintage nature of them or if they ride them simply because that's what was available.

It’s probably a little of both. I took a trip to Savannah, GA recently which is full of young professionals and students at SCAD and I saw a bunch of young riders on vintage road bikes. However, all were low-end bike boom era. I’m willing to bet the riders couldn’t care less about tubing or components, it’s just a cheap way to get around and they look cooler than a cheap Walmart bike.

The Golden Boy 11-18-18 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by jimmuller (Post 20667958)

LIES!!!

I happen to have seen your birth certificate! You're 28. And have been 28 for the last 30 years. You can't fool me. We're on to your trickery.