Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Hybrid Bicycles (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=290)
-   -   Altus vs Deore in real life differences for beginners (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1225760)

egeryilmaz 03-13-21 02:26 PM

Altus vs Deore in real life differences for beginners

hi i'm new at bikes i have a hybrid(trekking) bike with almost full altus set it has 24 speed. i am going to upgrade it with altus-acera mixed hybrid(trekking-touring) 27 speed bike or same type full deore set 30 speed bike. but between them they have much difference with the price. what i want to ask will it really worth? if it is i can spend but i need to hear real life opinions from experienced riders. please help me i'm new at it. besides that i can't change constantly my bike it will stay with me for a long time.

thanks in advance for all your help.

dabac 03-13-21 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by egeryilmaz (Post 21965717)
hi i'm new at bikes i have a hybrid(trekking) bike with almost full altus set it has 24 speed. i am going to upgrade it with altus-acera mixed hybrid(trekking-touring) 27 speed bike or same type full deore set 30 speed bike. but between them they have much difference with the price. what i want to ask will it really worth? if it is i can spend but i need to hear real life opinions from experienced riders. please help me i'm new at it. besides that i can't change constantly my bike it will stay with me for a long time.

thanks in advance for all your help.

IMO, there’s not enough difference to be worth doing that change solely for the purpose of upgrading. 3x8 should let you find a cassette that gives you a useful range/ratio combo w/o further upgrades.
However, if things are worn, it’s not entirely financially stupid to replace-with-better.
I’m not sure I’d want to go to 3x10 though.
10-speed stuff wear out noticeably faster.
I’d stay at 3x9 or possibly 2x10. For my riding, those give me the range/ratio mix I’m happy with.

egeryilmaz 03-13-21 03:02 PM

thanks for sharing opinion
crankset: ACERA FC-T3010-48/36/26TX175L crankset: DEORE FC-T6010-48/36/26TX175L
cassette: SHIMANO CS-HG200-9-11/34T cassette: DEORE CS-HG500-10-11/34T
shift lever: ALTUS ST-EF505 9X3 shift lever: DEORE SL-T6000 10X3
rear derailleur: ALTUS RD-M370-L rear derailleur: DEORE RD-T6000
front derailleur: ALTUS FD-M371 front derailleur: DEORE FD-T6000

i should have give these informations i think. if you have any suggestions i am ready to listen i'm starting my riding adventure and i want be educated. these differences worth the spend much money?

Darth Lefty 03-13-21 03:33 PM

The stuff you have is a little heavier and has more paint and steel and castings, less plating and aluminum and forgings. It won’t last as long, in theory, though heavy use and outdoor storage would be needed to really use it up or rust it. The project is bigger than you imagine, with parts you don’t have listed and special tools to do the work. Leave it alone, go ride.

dr1445 03-13-21 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty (Post 21965776)
The stuff you have is a little heavier and has more paint and steel and castings, less plating and aluminum and forgings. It won’t last as long, in theory, though heavy use and outdoor storage would be needed to really use it up or rust it. The project is bigger than you imagine, with parts you don’t have listed and special tools to do the work. Leave it alone, go ride.

the current 7 speed rear wheel may or may not be upgradable beyond 7 speeds.

Darth Lefty 03-13-21 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by dr1445 (Post 21966063)
the current 7 speed rear wheel may or may not be upgradable beyond 7 speeds.

7 is not among the factors of 24. I was thinking of the bottom bracket for the hollow spindle, brake levers (T6000 brakes are probably hydraulic disc, haven’t looked), chain, and likely small parts. Tools for both styles of crank and BB, cassette socket and chain whip, cable tools, I’m sure I could come up with more stuff.

dr1445 03-14-21 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty (Post 21966315)
7 is not among the factors of 24. I was thinking of the bottom bracket for the hollow spindle, brake levers (T6000 brakes are probably hydraulic disc, haven’t looked), chain, and likely small parts. Tools for both styles of crank and BB, cassette socket and chain whip, cable tools, I’m sure I could come up with more stuff.

my error, yes it is 24, the ancient brain has been slipping in recent years. currently i am giving 1 x 10 a try due to recent recent knee surgery. i went with a ztto group set for $130, it all looks good and works ok but for how long? groupset = crank& bb, shifter, cassette, chain, derailleur and hanger.

subgrade 03-24-21 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by dr1445 (Post 21966410)
i went with a ztto group set for $130, it all looks good and works ok but for how long? groupset = crank& bb, shifter, cassette, chain, derailleur and hanger.

I tried a ZTTO cassette last year, never again. It worked alright at the beginning, but it seemed to be made of cheese - it was not only skipping, but also very visibly worn after just 1K miles, not to mention the shifting was horrid at that point too. Can't comment on their other components, but given this experience I'll stay away form anything they make.

Regarding the OP - Deore components do work noticeably better then Altus/Acera (look nicer too which may or may not be of importance), and in my experience are also more durable (although when adding the costs over a period of a time, the result may be the same). Is this a reason to pay significantly more upfront? Maybe, or maybe not. Upgrade as you replace is a decent strategy, but it won't really work when upgrading from 8-speed to 10 speed components, as they are not compatible.

Bill Kapaun 03-26-21 11:09 PM

My hybrid was a "generic" 3X8 with the 11-32 cassette and 28-38-48 cranks.
Now way would I ever justify a gear higher than 48-14 and lower than 38-27 for that bike's purpose.
I changed the cranks to a 22-32-44 and a 12-23 or 13-25 cassette depending on my fitness level.
Lot's of nice closely spaced gears that work very well with minor slope/head wind changes.

The "A" stuff will function adequately.
IF you are changing hubs, go to a mid Deore level. Shimano's bottom end hubs don't have polished cones and my RM-30 hubs tend to eat DS cones. (oxide finish)
I mad the mistake of building 3 wheels with that hub, thinking even a cheap Shimano should be good enough. Not if you use it much.