Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Getting Glasses, Options? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=608483)

chasingcars191 12-12-09 10:51 AM

Getting Glasses, Options?

Hi all, As you can see I've been a member on these forums for close to six months now, but have very little posts xD. I'm an avid cyclist, albeit still a newbie/fred haha. I will be getting glasses soon, but not contacts for the foreseeable future. I am a regular sunglass wearer while on the road, except of course during twilight, which usually encompasses the last half hour - hour of my usually three times weekly ride. Anticipating my new glasses, what is the best option for riding with glasses? Transitions lenses? Prescription glasses? An oakley, giro, or tifosi frame with transitions? Any others? I've been considering all these options, and any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

WalksOn2Wheels 12-12-09 11:27 AM

I recently posted a similar question here:

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...itional-lenses

I guess for some people, transitions lenses are a good deal, but some people are more picky. I would lean towards the oakleys myself, but Rudy sunglasses offer prescription services as well. You might be better off just getting some decent clear lenses in an ok frame through your insurance and then dropping some bucks on some dedicated Rx sunglasses.

johnny99 12-12-09 12:05 PM

I use prescription Transitions sunglasses when riding in lower-light conditions. They work great. A good optician can put this type of lens in wrap-around sunglasses. Wrap-around frames really help to keep dust and wind out of your eyes when you are riding fast.

scirocco 12-12-09 05:31 PM

Prescription inserts work pretty well for cycling. That way you can use different colour lenses in the same pair of glasses while not paying for custom lenses.

I've got three pairs of Rudy Project Kalyos with about five different lens colours I've picked up along the way, but I only have one prescription insert clip-in, which was quite expensive.

johnny99 12-12-09 05:38 PM

I tried glasses inserts a couple of times and could never get comfortable in them. The insert systems weigh twice as much as regular glasses and are bulkier on your face. Also, rain and sweat is constantly getting in between the lenses and is a pain to clean. Single lens glasses work much better for me. YMMV.

sstorkel 12-12-09 05:46 PM

Do yourself a favor: skip glasses and go directly to contact lenses. I wore glasses for years because contacts would start to bug me after 4-5 hours. Still, when bicycling or motorcycling I always wore contact lenses (along with regular Smith sunglasses that had interchangeable lenses). I finally found contact lenses I could wear all day (Accuvue One-Day Moist, in my case) and I've given up on glasses entirely. Contact lenses provide much better vision, and especially much better peripheral vision. Now that I have contact lenses I can tolerate, I'll never go back to wearing glasses...

tomg 12-12-09 08:24 PM

check "Rudy-Pproject" glasses.
i got rx insert, 5 outer lenses, for light/cloud variances. you may be able to get auto-adjust-photo/grey also.
i can't wear contacts.
look at options, glasses can protect..........
"Bolle" could be another option.

Eclectus 12-12-09 08:49 PM

You have lots of options. Compare transitions RX to shades RX and clear/colorless RX interchangeables. For winter riding, most people don't need shades, unless they're riding in snow, or going into the sun in early morning or late afternoon.

Contacts are good for many people.

I see people riding with their regular glasses. With todays plastic lenses and frames, these are lightweight.

I had a friend who was getting near-sighted who went to an "alternative theory" optometrist who prescribed him READING glasses, the OPPOSITE of what most optometrists and ophthalmologists would have done that allowed his eye muscles to relax while reading, and restored his far-vision, so he didn't need glasses for sports. He looked a little dorky putting on glasses for close-up stuff, but they worked for him, and the theory was/is sound.