Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Folding Bikes (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=221)
-   -   A Nice Story About the Designer of the Swift (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1174679)

wilfried 06-03-19 11:40 AM

A Nice Story About the Designer of the Swift

And he's down to 17 frames. They're almost gone.

The Last Days of the Swift Folder

Trocadile 06-03-19 03:35 PM

The quote about the Ti Swift is interesting. Seems to suggest that this interview is old, since Titan started making the Ti Swift over 3 years ago - unless he's referring to a new design?

Lalato 06-03-19 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Trocadile (Post 20960392)
The quote about the Ti Swift is interesting. Seems to suggest that this interview is old, since Titan started making the Ti Swift over 3 years ago - unless he's referring to a new design?

I thought the Ti Swift was @jur's design/effort. Or was it in collaboration with Peter Reich?

Trocadile 06-03-19 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Lalato (Post 20960489)
I thought the Ti Swift was @jur's design/effort.

That was my understanding as well, although he contacted Reich and got his blessing. I'm curious to know more about what Reich was referring to - either he was referring to jur's design as his own (or the interviewer misunderstood him), or he was contemplating a new design with the same manufacturer that is already selling jur's version - which seems unlikely.

jur 06-03-19 07:19 PM

Hi all, just saw the name mention... Nice story about Peter Reich.

I think the Ti Swift he is referring to must be of his own design. There was an interested party for a Ti Swift a year or so ago, and we collaborated with Peter involved as well. Peter mentioned that he didn't like my hinge design and we kicked some alternatives to and fro. Other features were also discussed. But almost abruptly things went quiet and I didn't pursue it further. Maybe Peter did go further with it. I hope it turns out well.

Trocadile 06-03-19 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by jur (Post 20960739)
Hi all, just saw the name mention... Nice story about Peter Reich.

I think the Ti Swift he is referring to must be of his own design. There was an interested party for a Ti Swift a year or so ago, and we collaborated with Peter involved as well. Peter mentioned that he didn't like my hinge design and we kicked some alternatives to and fro. Other features were also discussed. But almost abruptly things went quiet and I didn't pursue it further. Maybe Peter did go further with it. I hope it turns out well.

Thanks for the clarification!

joey buzzard 06-05-19 01:27 AM

That Peter has only a few frames left to sell is sad news to me.
I bought one from him last year to build a back up bike for my Xootr.
I decided to have a back up bike because I don't want to end up someday without a Swift Folder. Never ever.
It's such a bike!
I hope someday there's many more batches of frames to come.
The design deserves to live on. It's probably the best bicycle on the planet.

mlau 06-05-19 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by joey buzzard (Post 20962885)
That Peter has only a few frames left to sell is sad news to me.
I bought one from him last year to build a back up bike for my Xootr.
I decided to have a back up bike because I don't want to end up someday without a Swift Folder. Never ever.
It's such a bike!
I hope someday there's many more batches of frames to come.
The design deserves to live on. It's probably the best bicycle on the planet.

That's exactly what the Xootr crew felt too.

I really want to share why Xootr stopped selling them, but I promised I wouldn't. Aaargh!

Suffice to say, it wasn't for lack of economic demand..

12boy 06-06-19 08:36 AM

Some years ago I chanced on a blog by an architect, James Black who had a steel Swift fixed gear bike. I found it to be very appealing, but the steel version was more expensive than the Al ones made by Xootr. Even though I had since bought a Brompton, which I enjoy a lot, I bought a Xootr Swift and ride it in rotation with my other bikes. The James Black bike still appeals a lot, as the chromo frame seems more svelte and I still prefer steel to Al. If you aren't familiar with this beauty, check it out at james.architecture. burger.com. The Swift design is one of 3 iconic designs I have always thought to be amazing, the other being the Brompton and the F series Moultons. And, the hype is pretty much true...on smooth pavement it is about as fast as my 700 c bikes although I haven't gotten the gearing above 88 gear inches. The only change I would make would be to increase the wheelbase because I find the Bromptons longer wheelbase to really help its ride.

Lalato 06-06-19 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by mlau (Post 20963980)
That's exactly what the Xootr crew felt too.

I really want to share why Xootr stopped selling them, but I promised I wouldn't. Aaargh!

Suffice to say, it wasn't for lack of economic demand..

Hey, mlau. If the Alameda in your profile is in the Bay Area, we should grab a beer one day and chat. :)

MEversbergII 06-06-19 12:22 PM

I have always heard good things about the Swift - it is a shame they are no longer in production!

fietsbob 06-06-19 12:35 PM

His Co designer now in Eugene , is getting older, and has , as I hear , Health issues ..

his versions: 4130 steel and added a front cargo capability.. ..

mlau 06-06-19 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Lalato (Post 20965579)
Hey, mlau. If the Alameda in your profile is in the Bay Area, we should grab a beer one day and chat. :)

Totally!

I might take a tonic water though....I'm pretty bad with alcohol.

Lalato 06-07-19 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by mlau (Post 20965655)
Totally!

I might take a tonic water though....I'm pretty bad with alcohol.

No worries. I'm on the east end of Alameda. If you see a Dahon Curl, that's me.

mlau 06-21-19 08:10 PM

I might have seen you earlier!

I'm on a black beat up brompton, on the West end. My office is in South shore