Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Whoo Whooo 1st Gravel Bike (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1148001)

Witterings 06-27-18 05:44 AM

Whoo Whooo 1st Gravel Bike

Have been wanting a gravel bike for ages but have had a real hard time at work / limited money recently (partially due to knock on of being quite ill and 3 major operations last year) and haven't really been able to afford one.

Whilst I'd much rather a higher spec as it'll probably be a bike I keep for years have just picked up the last one of these, at least I can ride it during this summer and if I like it and manage to scrape some more pennies together / have a better year at work can upgrade next year knowing I'll pretty much get my money back on this hopefully.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/123153843248

Can't wait!!!!!! :)

tdilf 06-27-18 06:18 AM

Awesome! Congrats and enjoy.

shoota 06-27-18 06:50 AM

Congrats! Ride the snot out of it

Justinitus 06-29-18 12:06 AM

I’d say that’s a right bargain there Neville! I looked at the Arkose before I bought my Diverge and it’s a very nice bike even at full retail price!
The spec is pretty decent too - but I might think about the tyres. I got some Continental Contact Sport II 700x35c for £20 the pair delivered (Merlin Cycles) and they’re an excellent upgrade for little money. Not really a gravel tyre per se, but they do well for the type of light stuff I ride!

Happy riding, Justin

Witterings 06-29-18 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by Justinitus (Post 20418733)
I’d say that’s a right bargain there Neville! I looked at the Arkose before I bought my Diverge and it’s a very nice bike even at full retail price!
The spec is pretty decent too - but I might think about the tyres. I got some Continental Contact Sport II 700x35c for £20 the pair delivered (Merlin Cycles) and they’re an excellent upgrade for little money. Not really a gravel tyre per se, but they do well for the type of light stuff I ride!

My thoughts exactly on the tyres, I thought I'd get it and see what I thought of them. I've changed the tyres on both my MTB's as where we ride I was getting a lot of punctures especially around hedge cutting time and my friends literally just been forced to change his as well.
I'd possibly go for wider as well, if anyone has suggestions of around 40c with reasonable puncture protection would definitely be interested in hearing them.

lalibertef 06-30-18 08:27 AM

Good job on the purchase. Enjoy it !

rumrunn6 07-19-18 08:31 AM

you get the bike?

Witterings 07-20-18 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by rumrunn6 (Post 20456957)
you get the bike?

I did ... but gutted .... they hadn't said it was a woman's bike .... it was 46cm frame .... took it to a bike shop and they said you'd struggle to get it to fit with layback post / extended stem so went back for a refund ..... really disappointing :-(

shoota 07-20-18 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Witterings (Post 20459555)
I did ... but gutted .... they hadn't said it was a woman's bike .... it was 46cm frame .... took it to a bike shop and they said you'd struggle to get it to fit with layback post / extended stem so went back for a refund ..... really disappointing :-(

You didn't think to ask about the sizing?

Witterings 07-20-18 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by shoota (Post 20459606)
You didn't think to ask about the sizing?

The 1st set of 8 bikes sold within 1 1/2 hrs ...... I'd sent an e-mail asking abut the sizing etc and got a reply 3 days later so missed the whole of the 1st set that went out.

When they listed a 2nd batch as medium again and there was only 1 left out of 12 left .... 1 hour after they'd listed them and knowing their response time ..... NO I didn't ask the same question a 2nd time just to miss them again.

They paid the postage to pick it up which infers they know they'd miss-listed it.