Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Wave Cell helmets by Bontrager (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1183815)

GaIslander 09-17-19 06:43 AM

Wave Cell helmets by Bontrager

I am curious to know what others experience is with the these helmets. I purchased a Specter Wave Cell Helmet which looks and fits great. I have found that the helmet is so poorly ventilated it is unusable here in warmer weather and higher relative humidity. I am thinking of cutting out sections of the wave cell material blocking the vents to improve the air flow.

WizardOfBoz 09-17-19 08:58 AM

Don't do that. Your helmet is designed carefully to protect your noggin, and cutting stuff out will leave you unprotected in unpredictible ways. But doesn't Trek/Bontrager have a 100% satisfaction guarantee? If the guarantee applies, trade the thing in for a MIPs model (the Bontrager Circuit MIPs is the same price).

The research seems to show that the Wave Cell and MIPS technologies both do a good (significantly better than non-MIPS and non-Wave Cell) job of protecting your noodle.

Thanks for sharing this data point, in any case.

JasonD67 09-17-19 09:39 AM

I read several similar complaints about the wave cell helmets...poor circulation. I bought a MIPS helmet instead. I guess a wave cell helmet would be great in the winter when you don't need cooling?

Definitely don't cut out the lining material, that would be negating the benefit of the wave cell protection.

tagaproject6 09-17-19 10:38 AM

Any chance of returning the helmet and getting a different one?

sarhog 09-17-19 02:08 PM

I’ve been using a Specter Wave cell helmet since April with no issues. Many 90°+ and high humidity days. I guess ventilation is subjective.

Rogerogeroge 09-17-19 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by tagaproject6 (Post 21126252)
Any chance of returning the helmet and getting a different one?

Any Bontrager product can be returned within thirty days for any reason.

canklecat 09-17-19 09:03 PM

Save it for cooler weather. Several friends got WaveCel helmets this year and wear 'em even in Texas summer heat. But the helmets looked hot and felt heavy to me.

I got a POC Omne Air Spin. Best ventilated helmet I've worn -- the design really scoops air across my scalp, and I can feel it even through my hair, which is long and thick. Other folks with POCs say the same of their Octal and Ventral helmets. POCs have thicker EPS foam than most helmets and should offer good protection.

The POC Omne Air Spin is their lowest priced helmet, more of a commuter style helmet but with excellent ventilation. The Octal and Ventral are more roadie oriented. But I'm pretty satisfied with the Omne Air Spin, although I can see the overhanging brow at the top of my peripheral vision when I'm in the drops on my road bikes.

GGreenhorn 09-17-19 09:38 PM

I was going to buy a different helmet (Bell Z20) than OP from Trek and asked about return policy. The lady said 14 days to return and it cannot have been worn, unless it was just around the house for fit and sizing. So it would seem they have a diffident return policy between Bontrager or other brand products... I did not use, returned and bought a Specialized Tactic III from a different place. Reason being the Bell Z20 was a bit much bubble head and I wanted something with a small visor.

Igotdibs 09-18-19 10:21 AM

I've been using a Specter WaveCel helmet since mid June and I don't find it to be heavy or hot. (shrug)

Hiro11 09-18-19 11:30 AM

I'm pretty happy with this helmet. I have not found it "hotter" at all and i use it all the time in hot weather. I am bald and clip my (remaining) hair short, which apparently makes a difference when it comes to ventilation with this helmet. It does weigh 50-100g more than a comparable MIPS helmet, something I don't personally notice but others might. I will say it's very comfortable for me and has a very good retention system. Also, the magnetic clasp is very easy to use. Turn your glasses upside down and the helmet can retain them well in the vents.

Two relatively minor complaints I do have:
1. The helmet is cut fairly low in the front, likely for impact reasons. This does not impinge on the glasses I wear but it gets close, especially with a cap on underneath the helmet. I would check fit with glasses and a cap before buying this.
2. The chin strap loosens too easily. I have to re-tighten mid ride every once in a while. Hardly a deal killer but annoying.

GaIslander 09-20-19 10:30 AM

Returned the Wavecell Specter for a Circut MIPS

After reading all the replies, I still felt the helmet did not have enough ventilation for me and my area. I took the Wavecell Specter to the my local Trek Dealer - LBS and they quickly exchanged it for a Bontrager Circuit MIPS helmet. All is good. Thanks.

livedarklions 09-20-19 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Igotdibs (Post 21127861)
I've been using a Specter WaveCel helmet since mid June and I don't find it to be heavy or hot. (shrug)

It's almost like OP lives in Georgia and you live in Washington state.

Theycallmegio 09-21-19 10:04 AM

I have wave cell helmet.

i definitely feel less ventilation. What irks me more is not being able to scratch my head through the vents when I get an itch.

I also like to dump water on my head periodically during a ride, wavecell kinda sucks for that.

Otherwise its a fine helmet