Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Pills and Ills (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=337)
-   -   Blood Pressure Meds & Heat Tolerance? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1207157)

Miele Man 07-11-20 01:45 AM

Blood Pressure Meds & Heat Tolerance?

I'm on 8mg of Sandoz-Candesartan for high blood pressure. Lately I've notice a severe drop in my heat tolerance. I've searched online to see if there's a correlation between that drug and my decreased tolerance of heat but didn't find anything. Oh, I turned 69 years young yesterday July 10.

Do any of you on high blood pressure medicine find that it lowers your ability to handle heat?

Cheers

wvridgerider 07-11-20 07:32 AM

Yes I have been on BP meds for quite a while. I do not tolerate the heat what so ever and have been that way for several years. I had a bad incident several years ago and it seems since then the heat effects me more. So I back off of riding when the temps get above 80. I am 58 and have BP issues, hard life I guess.

mpath 07-11-20 08:24 AM

Interesting. I've just started 4mg of Sandoz-Candesartan for the past three months, and quite frankly it hasn't been hot at all in the Pacific Northwest yet, barely in the mid-70's so far. I'll let you know of any heat tolerance issues. But what I did notice was that my BP drops precariously low - 89/56 - after cycling. So my GP suggested not to take the pill on cycling days, and track it. Have you noticed this yourself? BTW, I'm 55.

Miele Man 07-11-20 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by mpath (Post 21581481)
Interesting. I've just started 4mg of Sandoz-Candesartan for the past three months, and quite frankly it hasn't been hot at all in the Pacific Northwest yet, barely in the mid-70's so far. I'll let you know of any heat tolerance issues. But what I did notice was that my BP drops precariously low - 89/56 - after cycling. So my GP suggested not to take the pill on cycling days, and track it. Have you noticed this yourself? BTW, I'm 55.

I've never noticed it but then again I haven't checked for it. Thanks though becuase now I will.

Cheers

Gundo 07-11-20 09:21 AM

I'm on Beta Blockers and noticed it this year. I run out of gas at the end of my rides. I've begun starting earlier to avoid the worst of the heat and doing more trail rides when the temps are 90 and above.

Hondo Gravel 07-11-20 10:49 AM

Yup, more sensitive to sunlight and heat. I am use to the heat and have noticed more sensitivity.

philbob57 07-11-20 11:26 AM

Interesting ... I've been on CCBs for over a decade.

I used to hate heat because I used to sweat rivers even sitting on my ass. (Take that, censorship software.) It's normal to sweat less as one ages, and that's been happening to me, for which I'm very grateful. Heat combined with humidity take a lot out of me, but I've been attributing that to the infrequency of hot, humid days so far this year in my area.

What has changed is that I can't take colder weather. In my 40s, I rode when the temp was in the 30s, if it was dry. Now, I need long sleeves and multiple layers when the temp drops below 70. But I have no way of knowing if that's a side effect of the meds, since I was on a long cycling hiatus when I started the BP meds.

Climb14er 07-12-20 04:50 PM

I've been on Losartan over six years and HCTZ, diuretic the past five. Don't have a problem with the heat unless it's a screaming, unrelenting blast furnace and even with the diuretic, this just means drinking water and fluids before I head out and regular intake of water or electrolytes during... and after the ride. Usually, my recovery drink is a beer, Coors Banquet or an IPA mixed with organic Lemonade over ice. I think the Australians call this a Shandy.

Hermes 07-12-20 07:17 PM

Moved to Pills and Ills.

Miele Man 07-13-20 02:15 AM

I didn't know that this sub-forum existed. thanks.

Cheers