Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   "The 33"-Road Bike Racing (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1105191)

rankin116 09-20-17 02:08 PM


Originally Posted by Enthalpic (Post 19875595)
Work sucks - I found out and dropped out. Well sort of... I haven't been to work in almost 5 months but am still collecting pay checks, it's great.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/GyB6ffmXsZo/maxresdefault.jpg

himespau 09-20-17 02:22 PM


Originally Posted by rankin116 (Post 19874849)
Turns out I didn't get the job.

Well, I was offered the job, and then during negotiations they rescinded the offer. I'm literally in shock.

The last conversation we had was last Friday. We agreed on salary and such and they were pushing for an 10/16 start date (1 month for an out of state move). I mentioned that would be really hard since my partner was leaving for 5 weeks in Malawi on the 14th and I have to take care of my dog, so I asked if we could do a Nov start, but also asked what they could help with re: temp housing (which they had offered in a previous email without any providing any details). All weekend I was under the impression we agreed in principle and just needed to work out the start date, and if they really needed 10/16 I was prepared to make it happen.

Monday I got an email saying "we believe you indicated that you couldn't do the 10/16 start" so they rescinded the offer. No option for me to rebut and say that I was happy to make that happen.

I immediately sent emails apologizing for the miscommunication and indicating I was certainly able to make 10/16 happen. Also called Monday and Tuesday afternoons, and haven't heard a peep back. wtf?

My university underwent a hiring freeze this spring and any offer or negotiation that didn't have a signed letter got immediately cancelled. Made all of use who worked here (and were involved in searches) feel like a bunch of tools. Can't imagine how it felt to the people who may have turned down other offers because the negotiation was in the final stage. Hope you find someone who knows how to treat employees properly.

gsteinb 09-20-17 02:32 PM


Originally Posted by Enthalpic (Post 19875595)
Work sucks - I found out and dropped out. Well sort of... I haven't been to work in almost 5 months but am still collecting pay checks, it's great.

Working is definitely over rated.

I don't really work anymore, though I haven't found much of a way of getting paid for it. Mostly I'm a house husband. I teach some, and was approached about writing a book, which I'm working on.

It's not the worst life, though it did cut into the funds to play around with.

rankin116 09-20-17 03:00 PM


Originally Posted by himespau (Post 19875747)
My university underwent a hiring freeze this spring and any offer or negotiation that didn't have a signed letter got immediately cancelled. Made all of use who worked here (and were involved in searches) feel like a bunch of tools. Can't imagine how it felt to the people who may have turned down other offers because the negotiation was in the final stage. Hope you find someone who knows how to treat employees properly.

Jeez that's terrible too. I can't imagine turning down other jobs and then having the rug pulled out. I'm employed at least so while difficult to handle it's not going to ruin me.


Originally Posted by gsteinb (Post 19875773)
Working is definitely over rated.

I don't really work anymore, though I haven't found much of a way of getting paid for it. Mostly I'm a house husband. I teach some, and was approached about writing a book, which I'm working on.

It's not the worst life, though it did cut into the funds to play around with.

#lifegoals I would be a house husband in a hot minute.

gsteinb 09-20-17 03:04 PM


Originally Posted by rankin116 (Post 19875866)
#lifegoals I would be a house husband in a hot minute.

Marry well. My wife is a lot smarter than I am.

Enthalpic 09-20-17 03:13 PM

^ that's pretty high praise.

mattm 09-20-17 09:14 PM

Sorry everyones' jobs sucks.

globecanvas 09-21-17 05:48 AM


Originally Posted by gsteinb (Post 19875883)
Marry well. My wife is a lot smarter than I am.

I dunno, we really only have one piece of evidence as to her intelligence...

miyata man 09-21-17 08:34 AM

Not marrying a musician?

:p

Ygduf 09-21-17 12:08 PM


Originally Posted by mattm (Post 19876668)
Sorry everyones' jobs sucks.

whenever mine gets too bad I just look at Zillow and think about retirement.

topflightpro 09-21-17 12:16 PM

Well, I had my dream job - I was a newspaper editor. I gave it up to stay with my wife. There was a moment when I debated did I want to keep my job or my wife. That was about 10 years ago though, and that job no longer really exists. I mean, it does, but it would be so different now, I know there is no going back.

Now I'm in marketing. It's hard to go from being a cynical journalist to marketing - I tend to think most marketing, and marketing hype, is BS. But it's a job that funds my hobbies.

Also, at one point, I thought I'd be able to be a house husband, but then my wife decided to take her career in a new direction that does not offer the same financial security.

TMonk 09-21-17 12:25 PM

I like my job. I'm an analytical chemist (mass spec.) working in small (~50 employees) nanotechnology company. I've been at the same company for 6 years - only my second gig out of college (2010).

I almost left last year for money and money alone - had an offer with a big international corp in an ICP lab. The job would have sucked but it was a lot more money.

I declined an offer to match, and negotiated a 20% raise, cash bonus and three year plan. As long as I remain a high performer my salary raises are locked in through 2019. I'm a hard worker - that's never going to change. But they'll have my energy and enthusiasm until then. Then it's time for more negotiations and offers.

Not sure what the future will bring as my gf of 4 years (and also probable wife/life partner and mother of my children - we're talking) works at the same company, in sales. At some point our life together and family will be more important than my job - so who knows where we'll end up.

Ygduf 09-21-17 12:29 PM

take it from me, don't have kids!

TMonk 09-21-17 12:30 PM


Originally Posted by Ygduf (Post 19878018)
take it from me, don't have kids!

I've always been one to learn things the hard way, appreciate the advice though.

topflightpro 09-21-17 12:33 PM

My wife has said no kids.

People keep saying that we will change our minds. We've been married 12 years now. I think we are less interested in having kids than we were 12 years ago.

Ygduf 09-21-17 12:34 PM


Originally Posted by TMonk (Post 19878020)
I've always been one to learn things the hard way, appreciate the advice though.


Originally Posted by topflightpro (Post 19878026)
My wife has said no kids.

People keep saying that we will change our minds. We've been married 12 years now. I think we are less interested in having kids than we were 12 years ago.

There are pros and cons, but when I saw a ****** (read it) post "I regret having children every day" I knew it was someone with twins. It was.

caloso 09-21-17 12:47 PM

Mine doesn't suck. It pays well enough to let me buy a bike every couple of years, good benefits and retirement, and most of the time I go home at 5:30. On the other hand, as soon as it pencils out, I'll retire and do something interesting.

globecanvas 09-21-17 01:18 PM

Well I'm on my 4th career so I'm above average, I think the mean is 2 or 3. The current career is by far the best, mostly because it's a small company and my business partner and I are on exactly the same page with respect to quality of life versus profit-seeking. We develop audio production software, but with a business goal of enjoying the process and keeping the scope of the business small and manageable, rather than always trying to increase sales and expand or get bought out. We make a living and we can take the day off whenever. We won't ever get rich but that is a tradeoff I am happy to make.

big john 09-21-17 01:26 PM


Originally Posted by topflightpro (Post 19878026)
My wife has said no kids.

People keep saying that we will change our minds. We've been married 12 years now. I think we are less interested in having kids than we were 12 years ago.



People always ask, "Why didn't you have kids?" I don't regret not having any, but sometimes I think it would be cool to have adult children now. I was never responsible enough, plus I was afraid to continue to cycle of violence.

topflightpro 09-21-17 01:27 PM

We have four nephews.

globecanvas 09-21-17 01:30 PM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 19878164)
People always ask, "Why didn't you have kids?"

I have lots of kids but I would never ask somebody why they don't have any. People who ask that, what kind of answer are the expecting?!

big john 09-21-17 01:34 PM

My job sucks, for the most part. It has it's advantages, no layoffs, always jobs available. But there are no benefits, no retirement, etc. It's piecework only, so as you get older and slow down, you can only make less.
With the type of stuff I do, (engine electronics, diesel and electric car diagnosis), I don't get many challenges from younger guys.
I may get dropped on the bike but I can outwork/outproduce anyone they've thrown at me.


I, too, look at Zillow and Realtor.com quite often to try and plan my escape. Can't quit work and stay in the rental I have, that's for certain.

big john 09-21-17 01:35 PM


Originally Posted by globecanvas (Post 19878176)
I have lots of kids but I would never ask somebody why they don't have any. People who ask that, what kind of answer are the expecting?!

I don't know why so many ask. It's often softened by something like "You would be such a good father". Maybe, maybe not.

rideaz 09-21-17 02:26 PM

I have loved raising our kids but they will both be adults by the time I am 45yo. One is already out of the house. Kind of looking forward to the next phase :-)

Ygduf 09-21-17 03:42 PM


Originally Posted by rideaz (Post 19878293)
I have loved raising our kids but they will both be adults by the time I am 45yo. One is already out of the house. Kind of looking forward to the next phase :-)

I have hope that someday I will look back at this time and say it was worth it!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:16 AM.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.