Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Anyone buy shorts or shoes from 2Velo? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1272380)

Wildwood 05-15-23 11:56 AM

Anyone buy shorts or shoes from 2Velo?

Has anyone purchased shoes or shorts from 2Velo? Looking for input on quality and fit.

Vintage style Molteni cycling shorts - (2velo.com)

Classic road cycling shoes - (2velo.com)

Senrab62 05-15-23 10:20 PM

Those shorts look awesome. I'm always skeptical of wool content though.

P!N20 05-16-23 12:33 AM

This probably isn't relevant to the products you're considering purchasing, but I bought a couple of bidons from 2velo's ebay store recently.

Communication was non-existent and getting the invoice with combined postage took weeks. I wasn't even sure they had been posted until they landed on my doorstep.

The print on one of the bidons is flaking off too, which is a bit disappointing - I've only had it for a few months. The other seems OK, but I've probably been avoiding using that one as it's my favourite!

ehcoplex 05-16-23 06:56 AM

I've got a pair of the shorts (I got the plain ones, without the Molteni or Brooklyn embroidered logo). They're very much vintage/retro/old-school style. Chamois pad, shorter in length than has been the style for cycling shorts for..... decades. Mine come to about mid-thigh, vs the 2/3 or 3/4 to the knee on my other shorts. Wool is on the lighter weight, at least compared to the Cima Coppi merino shorts I also have. I think I've had 'em for maybe 3 years now, and I really like them. Especially for warm weather. They're not quite as stretchy as other shorts, and get a bit 'looser' when wearing them a lot (and sweating), so I wash (hand) them a little more often than other merino wool stuff- but being wool, and non-odor-retaining, I don't wash them that often. The sizing seems a little weird (ie, on the quite large side)- I'm 6', 155-160#. Per 2Velo's sizing chart, the waist on size S is 32". I have a vague recollection of emailing about whether the size chart was accurate and getting a response that it was, so I ordered S. Sure enough, S fits, and with these shorts being a little bit less stretchy than others, I'm glad I ordered the S. Still kinda weird, as I don't think of myself as a 'S'.... I do recall it took a while to receive my order- I seem to recall 2 or 3 weeks. Anyway, if you like the old-school style, no/little padding and merino wool, they're pretty hard to beat for the price.

Robvolz 05-16-23 09:28 AM

I was in Bosnia two years ago and stopped by their shop to look at the shoes (and everything else). I worried the soles weren't stiff enough and had too much flex.

A good cycling shoe is stiff enough so you don't feel the teeth of the pedal cage and you don't have flex at you mid-sole which will make your feet tired from holding position. Their shoes had a lot of mid-sole flex. I passed.

If they had the Molteni shorts at the time. I would have bought.

non-fixie 05-16-23 12:01 PM

I have bought a couple of jerseys from them online, about a year ago. Communication was non-existant, so it felt like a bit of a gamble. But after a few weeks I received what I'd ordered. Nice jerseys, too:

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...ea06f8a41a.jpg

Six months later I met what I presume to be the owner and his staff at their stall at L'Eroica, in Italy. Nice people with nice products at reasonable prices. Mrs non-fixie bought this Gazzola training jersey, which she's very happy with:

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...1886dc7e6e.jpg

USAZorro 05-17-23 07:03 AM

I have the shoes. The upper is quite well made. The soles do have a bit of flex - which personally doesn't bother me. However, (and this may just be me), just a few steps in them off the bike and it triggers the start of neuroma. I do need to try them with a good insole to see if that makes a difference.

Senrab62 05-17-23 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by ehcoplex (Post 22891391)
I've got a pair of the shorts (I got the plain ones, without the Molteni or Brooklyn embroidered logo). They're very much vintage/retro/old-school style. Chamois pad, shorter in length than has been the style for cycling shorts for..... decades. Mine come to about mid-thigh, vs the 2/3 or 3/4 to the knee on my other shorts. Wool is on the lighter weight, at least compared to the Cima Coppi merino shorts I also have. I think I've had 'em for maybe 3 years now, and I really like them. Especially for warm weather. They're not quite as stretchy as other shorts, and get a bit 'looser' when wearing them a lot (and sweating), so I wash (hand) them a little more often than other merino wool stuff- but being wool, and non-odor-retaining, I don't wash them that often. The sizing seems a little weird (ie, on the quite large side)- I'm 6', 155-160#. Per 2Velo's sizing chart, the waist on size S is 32". I have a vague recollection of emailing about whether the size chart was accurate and getting a response that it was, so I ordered S. Sure enough, S fits, and with these shorts being a little bit less stretchy than others, I'm glad I ordered the S. Still kinda weird, as I don't think of myself as a 'S'.... I do recall it took a while to receive my order- I seem to recall 2 or 3 weeks. Anyway, if you like the old-school style, no/little padding and merino wool, they're pretty hard to beat for the price.

Do you happen to know the wool percentage of the shorts?

ehcoplex 05-17-23 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Senrab62 (Post 22893297)
Do you happen to know the wool percentage of the shorts?

Good question- and I don't know. Doesn't say on the tag, but they're not super stretchy and don't feel like there is much (if any) synthetic content.

Senrab62 05-17-23 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by ehcoplex (Post 22893443)
Good question- and I don't know. Doesn't say on the tag, but they're not super stretchy and don't feel like there is much (if any) synthetic content.

Thank you for the response. I am considering a pair, but concerned about wool content. I will message the seller and pray 😂.

ehcoplex 05-18-23 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Senrab62 (Post 22893580)
Thank you for the response. I am considering a pair, but concerned about wool content. I will message the seller and pray 😂.

If you get a response, let us know!

polymorphself 05-18-23 10:54 AM

The shoes look awesome. Unfortunate about the soles but perhaps the quality/design really is bordering subjective.

SurferRosa 06-15-23 07:21 PM

Got these a little over a week ago. For me, they run small. Have had them in expandable shoe trees, and they're better now. Today was the fourth ride in them. Can't recommend, but I don't hate 'em either. Hopefully, they'll continue to get better with use.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...97bcac74d0.jpg

ehcoplex 06-15-23 07:47 PM

as some further follow-up- I ordered a couple pairs of the shorts on May 29th, received notice they were at the PO on 6/10 (and picked up yesterday- my local PO has asinine hours). No email confirmation of the order, etc, but I recalled there wasn't last time I ordered. Considering they're coming from Serbia, I think that was pretty quick shipping.

SurferRosa 10-20-23 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by SurferRosa (Post 22924893)
Hopefully, they'll continue to get better with use.

Four months later, and these now feel good enough to walk around in. Happy with the purchase and the size. :thumb:

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...915caa67e3.jpg

bertinjim 10-21-23 09:31 PM

Wildwood-

I bought a size M pair of shorts from them several month ago. They are a good fit on a 39" waist. Sewing is excellent as is the chamois. They wash well and retain their shape after drying flat. The waist elastic is wider than usual and quite comfortable. I'll be buying a second pair soon as backup.

Senrab62 10-22-23 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by bertinjim (Post 23048776)
Wildwood-

I bought a size M pair of shorts from them several month ago. They are a good fit on a 39" waist. Sewing is excellent as is the chamois. They wash well and retain their shape after drying flat. The waist elastic is wider than usual and quite comfortable. I'll be buying a second pair soon as backup.

Thanks for the update!

Can you speak on the wool percentage? I'm looking for a decent wool blend that doesn't break the bank.

ehcoplex 10-22-23 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Senrab62 (Post 23049040)
Thanks for the update!

Can you speak on the wool percentage? I'm looking for a decent wool blend that doesn't break the bank.

I have no idea about the actual wool content, but compared to other merino stuff I have, in ‘feel’ and performance, I’d guess pretty high. The weight is on the thinner side, the weave is what I’d call a little ‘coarse’, and they’re not as stretchy as blends with higher synthetic percentages. Very much vintage/old-school.

bertinjim 10-22-23 03:22 PM

Senrab62 -

The shorts have no fabric care and content label just the 2Velo label and the size tag. In terms of fit and feel, they are just like the all wool, classic Santini shorts they replaced. They are comfortable up to the 28 C (86 F) weather I rode them in and are warm and comfortable with an over layer of wool Santini tights down to the 6 C (42 F) autumn days thus far.

Bad Lag 10-22-23 03:56 PM

If they made those shoes in my size (US 13), I'd already own a pair or two. You can tell, just by looking, that those are nice shoes.

SurferRosa 12-20-23 12:50 PM

Through their eBay site, I bought socks and crankset caps on Nov 3. Several weeks went by. Contacted them and they responded quickly. Apparently there was a post workers strike in Serbia. They did reply with a tracking number that actually worked. Finally arrived Dec 19. :thumb:

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...dd908226c3.jpg

SurferRosa 12-20-23 01:16 PM

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...87b8e951e3.jpg