Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   2007 Major Jake feedback (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=267927)

ZeroG 02-09-07 05:27 PM

2007 Major Jake feedback

Okay, for some reason I make the wonderful joy of buying a new bike a tedious and endless search of all the specs, geometry, pros and cons, etc., and I've searched the forums but cannot find the most important aspect, and for me that's user feedback and information. I've pretty much set my sights on the 2007 Kona Major Jake

http://www.konaworld.com/bikes/2k7/MAJORJAKE/index.html.

But could use some feedback as at its suggest price of $2k, it is at the upper limit of my budget for a complete build.

Any feedback or option would be greatly appreciated.

StankApe 02-09-07 11:33 PM

Man, looking at the spec sheet and pic, it really doesn't seem a huge step up from the JTS...well, not now I've swapped out the stem, seatpost, seat, bars, ties, brakes and pedals on my JTS anyway. Nicer wheelset and fork I guess. Maybe if you could live with the JTS spec, then (like me) you could change out what didn't work for you and still save some bucks.
Not much help but it's all I gots :)

alreadyblue 02-12-07 12:32 PM

It's the frameset and the fork that are going to make the difference. The wheels, stem, seatpost and handlebars are upgrades. It's a question of $550, and personally I think it's probably worth it. The price difference in the fork and wheelset alone justify the cost difference. The improved frame and components are a bonus!

Keep in mind also that there is about a three pound difference between the two bikes.
That and Ryan Trebon rides a Major Jake Frame!!!

nowheels 02-13-07 06:18 PM

I have a Jake (not a Major Jake)....I can tell you that I really like the geometry of their frames alot. You also get a carbon rear on the MJ vs. the JTS and that should give you a real nice ride........something to consider.

ZeroG 02-14-07 02:42 AM

One thing I noticed though on the Kona's (MJ/JTS) is that the rear and front derailers cables are run in their tradional places (under and along the down tube) and not over the top tube like the rear brake cable.

As several other cyclocross specific frame makers choose to put all three cables over the top tube (to help keep them clean) does anyone have any feeback concerning the Kona's? Or is this not really a noticable feature?

adrien 02-14-07 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by ZeroG
One thing I noticed though on the Kona's (MJ/JTS) is that the rear and front derailers cables are run in their tradional places (under and along the down tube) and not over the top tube like the rear brake cable.

As several other cyclocross specific frame makers choose to put all three cables over the top tube (to help keep them clean) does anyone have any feeback concerning the Kona's? Or is this not really a noticable feature?

I have an 06 JTS. Have been through some pretty bad dirt / mud / etc. and never had an issue. It's just a matter ofmaking sure you clean it well afterwards.

As for the MJ, I looked but it didn't seem worth it to me, and i didn't want carbon. Love the JTS.

Some reviewers have suggested that the further up the range you go, the more aggressive the geometry.

As always, try to find one you can ride.

JimmyMack 02-21-07 06:29 PM

Either rear D setup will create a line that dirty muddy water can use a path to get into the cable housing. They both get dirty and they both need cleaning. When you cable up your bike, leave the cable a bit long. When that housing gets dirty throw it away and put some new housing on. If you cable gets a bit frayed during reinstallation you can cut a bit off the end.

One cable will last you most of the season. Cable housing may need to be replaced every race or every few weeks depending on your grime level.

atomship47 02-21-07 07:21 PM

Okay, for some reason I make the wonderful joy of buying a new bike a tedious and endless search of all the specs, geometry, pros and cons, etc.,

hehehe. sounds familiar. but, and i'm just guessing here, when its all said and done, you'll think the whole process was fun!

i don't own the major jake, but it made my final 3. one thing i noticed about kona, some of the models were basically easton parts put together....easton frame, fork, bars, etc....not that there's anything wrong with that.....

mtb_frk 02-22-07 03:53 PM

Okay, for some reason I make the wonderful joy of buying a new bike a tedious and endless search of all the specs, geometry, pros and cons, etc.

That is all part of the addiction, which I am suffering from right now also... :)

I currently have a '03 JTS and love the bike. I have done virtually nothing to it, I dont even remember the last time I tuned it up. Pretty much just clean it and lube the chain. I have raced it for the last 2 seasons and it still works great. It is too small for me, so I am looking for something bigger, but the bike has been great.