Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Any cheap Amazon Chinese bike shorts that are good? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1180597)

Money D 08-08-19 08:38 PM

Any cheap Amazon Chinese bike shorts that are good?

I have trouble spending $100 on name brand bike shorts. Are any of the chinese examples on amazon/etc 90% as good for 50% cost???

Thanks.

phughes 08-08-19 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Money D (Post 21066901)
I have trouble spending $100 on name brand bike shorts. Are any of the chinese examples on amazon/etc 90% as good for 50% cost???

Thanks.

I haven't tried any of the cheap ones from Amazon...yet, but I will say that my Enduras have been worth the price. I bought them in 2011 and they are still in great shape. They have multiple tours on them, and I just wore them on a 400 mile tour in June. I also wear them at least once or twice weekly. They have many, many miles on them and look new.

jon c. 08-08-19 08:54 PM

I'm a fan of these aerotech's:

https://www.aerotechdesigns.com/mens...ike-short.html

Warren128 08-08-19 08:55 PM

I wear these: https://www.aerotechdesigns.com/mens...ike-short.html

check it out.

Warren128 08-08-19 08:56 PM

LOL, jon c. beat me by 1 minute :)

Kedosto 08-08-19 10:09 PM

I usually wear liner shorts but my wife bought me a pair of these from Amazon to fill out her cart. They’re damned nice for the price. A bit generously padded, but I think they might compress a little if I wear them enough.

The waistband is strong elastic (no drawstring) and the fabric seems durable. The stitching is impressive. I’m genuinely surprised at the quality considering the price.

I probably wouldn’t have bought these myself because Amazons “made in China” sizing is a nightmare. I don’t even know what size I have because I didn’t buy them myself. The wife nailed it on the sizing because they fit great. The recommendations for Aerotech Designs are great advice if you’re okay with spending more.

-Kedosto

joeruge 08-08-19 10:37 PM

cheap shorts

BALEAF Men's Cycling Shorts 3D Padded Bicycle Bike Quick-Dry Pants Tights UPF 50+YYou know, I was so impressed with these; BALEAF Men's Cycling Shorts 3D Padded Bicycle Bike shorts, that I bought a second pair. I wouldn't wear them for a century, but they have proved perfectly fine for quick rides of up to about 35 miles or so. I haven't worn them on any longer rides. For about 22 bucks, I figured they were worth a shot.

I believe I had to order a size or two up, an XL rather than a Med. or a LG. Out of the dozens of cheap shorts on Amazon, I picked these because they had the longest inseam I could find, which suited me. The fit overall, for me, was very good; long inseam and a pretty hi rise. And it does come down to fit, first. If a short, any short, even a $120 pair doesnt fit you, they don't have a chance of beimg comfortable.

I would also like to add in closing, that I have never regretted buying the most expensive bike clothing I could afford (usually on sale!). They perform just as expected. Cheap gear can be hit or miss. For me, these shorts were a hit!

joeruge 08-08-19 10:38 PM

cheap shorts

You know, I was so impressed with these; BALEAF Men's Cycling Shorts 3D Padded Bicycle Bike shorts, that I bought a second pair. I wouldn't wear them for a century, but they have proved perfectly fine for quick rides of up to about 35 miles or so. I haven't worn them on any longer rides. For about 22 bucks, I figured they were worth a shot.

I believe I had to order a size or two up, an XL rather than a Med. or a LG. Out of the dozens of cheap shorts on Amazon, I picked these because they had the longest inseam I could find, which suited me. The fit overall, for me, was very good; long inseam and a pretty hi rise. And it does come down to fit, first. If a short, any short, even a $120 pair doesnt fit you, they don't have a chance of beimg comfortable.

I would also like to add in closing, that I have never regretted buying the most expensive bike clothing I could afford (usually on sale!). They perform just as expected. Cheap gear can be hit or miss. For me, these shorts were a hit!

tkamd73 08-09-19 12:29 AM

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...86a0bce55.jpeg
Bought a pair of these a few months ago, comfortable and have held up well, use them for kayaking too.
liked them enough, that I just bought a couple more.
Tim

canklecat 08-09-19 02:01 AM

Przewalski shorts are very good for only $20 or so on Amazon. Most comfortable pad I've tried.

Baleaf were oh-kay.

Wileyrat 08-09-19 05:28 AM

The wife bought me a pair of Bayleaf liner shorts off Amazon that do just fine when I'm out on the mtn bike. In fact, they've held up well enough that I bought a Bayleaf convertible jacket, just to wear as an inexpensive cycling vest.

Having said that, the cheapest shorts I've bought are a pair of Sugoi's I got on sale for 40 bucks.

Speedway2 08-09-19 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by tkamd73 (Post 21067092)
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...86a0bce55.jpeg
Bought a pair of these a few months ago, comfortable and have held up well, use them for kayaking too.
liked them enough, that I gust bought a couple more.
Tim

tkamd73....are these true to size? Never know with Chinese sizing....

sjanzeir 08-09-19 06:04 AM

Possibly irrelevant, but because I almost always wear joggers, I wear cycling underwear instead of shorts. I've found these to be ideal. The padding of These was too hard for me, while these were a tad too soft. This was practically useless,with the padding providing hardly any support at all.

indyfabz 08-09-19 07:21 AM

I have trouble spending $100 on name brand bike shorts.

You need to change your user name. :D

DrIsotope 08-09-19 07:27 AM

The Black Bibs.

$35 for shorts, $40 for bibs. And they're very good.

tkamd73 08-09-19 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Speedway2 (Post 21067238)
tkamd73....are these true to size? Never know with Chinese sizing....

Agreed, I usually wear pants with a 34” waist, the L size fits me. Don’t know if that helps, but it’s Amazon, order a couple different sizes, and return the ones that don’t fit.
Tim

JDandy 08-09-19 10:34 AM

Thanks.

How about an ebay storefront from an actual brick & mortar cycling shop? I have two pairs of Bellwether O2 Men's Cycling Shorts from 365Cycles (sorry as a newb I can't post a link yet). They are currently listed at $37.xx which is a couple of dollars more than I paid in the past year but still a good value I think.

I just started cycling last year and I have been very budget conscious from the start. Once I got up to 30-40 mile rides I decided that an upgrade from running shorts to bike shorts might be a worthwhile investment but I still didn't want to spend a lot until I had more experience. By purchasing the Bellwether O2 short through ebay, I got an accurate fitting quality brand entry-level short from an LBS at a discount to retail.

I started with one pair last summer and was satisfied enough to buy a second pair this spring. I tried a budget short from Aerotech Designs (cheaper than the $44 offering referenced in the posts above) but the fit and quality of the short wasn't acceptable for me so I returned them and bought the second pair of Bellwether O2's.

My long rides are now up to 50-60 miles and with the addition of Chamois Butt'r used in conjunction with the Bellwether O2's, I am comfortable during and after my long rides.

teejaywhy 08-09-19 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by jon c. (Post 21066929)

+1 for Aerotech stuff.
Made in USA too.

hcgaloi 08-09-19 12:00 PM

I buy complete cycling outfit on AliExpress and wish.com for around $25 including shipping. They are the same on amazon but cheaper. Shipping takes 4-5 weeks, thus I have to plan ahead unlike amazon prime shipping

CAT7RDR 08-09-19 03:43 PM

I chanced upon these Ceroti wanna be Italian bibs that are really manufactured in China. I was very skeptical but purchased the Pro Power Black for $49. I have only worn them once on a HC climb and they gave excellent compression and comfort for a 4.5 hour ride.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ceroti Custom Apparel Service Men's Pro Long Inseam Cycling Bibs, with Side Pockets Optional,Italian Pro Chamois Bicycle Riding Bib Shorts Bike Biking Wear UPF50+

If they hold up after six rides, I will order a second pair for the rotation. I am 6'2", 220 lbs and the XL fit perfectly.

I am not impressed with the durability of LG, Aerotech, or PI shorts.

Myosmith 08-09-19 07:33 PM

I've had great experience with Aerotech. Some decent shorts in the < $40 range.

mynewnchome 08-09-19 08:19 PM

https://www.love2pedal.com/

zarbog 08-09-19 09:02 PM

I have these https://www.amazon.ca/Sportneer-Cycl...gateway&sr=8-3

Two dozen rides or more with them this hot summer. Even though the pad looks thick, its fairly comfy but what it does best is stay dry. My Louis Garnier shorts are soaked in the pads by the time I finish a ride.

jadocs 08-09-19 09:59 PM

Playing with fire with cheap Chinese bibs. Stitching can be awful and with chafe you like nobody's business. Material is also thin cheap junk. If some of the guys above have real world experience and recommend certain ones, then I would only consider those. Personally I would never buy cheap Chinese bibs. I have a box full that I never wear. If you ride a lot and do a lot of distance, I would buy a known quality brand.

SCTinkering 08-09-19 11:24 PM

Haven't bitten on shorts, but got some crazy design jerseys. I stick with Pearl Izumi shorts, but Elite is where I start looking. The shorts with Select are cheaper for a reason. More than 25-30 miles in a pair of select shorts isn't what I would call a great experience. I have friends that swear by Assos, I have yet to give them a try.