Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Self inflating tire? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1186290)

Notso_fastLane 10-22-19 07:44 AM

Self inflating tire?

This is an interesting concept.

If the CRR is low enough, I can see some situations where it would be useful, but for those of us that already check our tires ~weekly, maybe not so much?

I wonder how well this would work in conjunction with a good flat sealant (I have been really happy with Flat Attack)?

https://airwinder.com/

The tech page explains how it works: https://airwinder.com/technology/

I'm not going to get in on this kickstarter, but I'm going to watch and see if this actually makes it to market.

pdlamb 10-22-19 07:57 AM

Looks like a non-cycling student did a "project" for a non-cycling instructor, and they went off open loop.

30 seconds thing by a cyclist here...

What happens if a piece of glass or metal, or a thorn, punctures the inflation tube? (No pumping.)

So you have to buy an integrated tire and matching tube. How do you patch the tube?

Give the kid an A for originality, pat him on the head, and send him (or her) to Econ and Accounting classes.

subgrade 10-22-19 08:11 AM

I can see how the principle could work, but I'm not sure if such system would be capable to generate more pressure than there is in the tire at any given moment - which would be needed to actually pump some air into the tire.

subgrade 10-22-19 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by pdlamb (Post 21174578)
What happens if a piece of glass or metal, or a thorn, punctures the inflation tube? (No pumping.)

That's what the super-tough anti-puncture layer is meant for.

Originally Posted by pdlamb (Post 21174578)
So you have to buy an integrated tire and matching tube. How do you patch the tube?

It says nothing about tubes, so I imagine it is meant for tubeless setup.

livedarklions 10-22-19 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane (Post 21174551)
This is an interesting concept.

If the CRR is low enough, I can see some situations where it would be useful, but for those of us that already check our tires ~weekly, maybe not so much?

I wonder how well this would work in conjunction with a good flat sealant (I have been really happy with Flat Attack)?

https://airwinder.com/

The tech page explains how it works: https://airwinder.com/technology/

I'm not going to get in on this kickstarter, but I'm going to watch and see if this actually makes it to market.

A solution in search of a problem. This can't really do anything about a sudden flat, and I don't think anyone finds the occasional top-off a serious problem. Does anyone spend more than 2 minutes per week pumping up non-leaky tires?

Rje58 10-22-19 08:27 AM

Color me skeptical. I'd be a late adopter, after a few years of many people on Bikeforums posting how great it is... :)

I check the air in my tires every other ride, correcting as necessary. Some people hate to check/add air, to me it's just a normal part of my pre-ride process. My buddy hates checking the tires so much that he bought a Specialized Alibi with airless tires. To each their own! Viva la difference!

Notso_fastLane 10-22-19 08:46 AM

Yeah, I didn't look to see where the wannabe manufacturer is from, but I suspect this is intended for the casual rider/commuter that hates to put air in their tires. I've known commuters who don't even own a pump, and just put air in at the gas station when they think about it, so....

I can also see this being useful in touring situations, where the tire pressure automatically 'sets' as the temperature changes. Other than that, definitely not for 'serious' riders.

livedarklions 10-22-19 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by subgrade (Post 21174622)

It says nothing about tubes, so I imagine it is meant for tubeless setup.

From the "Technology" page:

"As the tire turns, it pushes the air forward through the pumping mechanism and into the inner tube."

I think the theory is that the mechanism gets squeezed between the tire and the tube, so it wouldn't work on a tubeless setup.

Does it sound like they have a working "proof of concept" model?

terrymorse 10-22-19 10:54 AM

My expert opinion: Probably will never work.

Their "pump" is a tube between the tire tread and casing. The "pumping action" relies on tire contact patch deformation to squeeze air through the tube.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...7f43c12677.png

Squeezing a tube is a very crude mechanism to try to get several atmospheres of pressure, even in the best situation. I seriously doubt they can manage it in a tire.

Then there's the reliability/safety issue of putting a flexible tube between the tire casing and the tread. No thank you.

indyfabz 10-22-19 11:22 AM

Why doesn't someone invent something really useful, like an electronic oil slick sprayer like the Batmobile had? Draft me on the M.U.P. without permission? I don't think so. Instead, we get things like disc brakes, gravel bikes and 1x drivetrains. :innocent:

subgrade 10-22-19 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by terrymorse (Post 21174925)
Squeezing a tube is a very crude mechanism to try to get several atmospheres of pressure, even in the best situation. I seriously doubt they can manage it in a tire.

I have a suspicion that the 'pumping tube' can never have a higher pressure than the tire itself.

Skipjacks 10-22-19 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by livedarklions (Post 21174645)
A solution in search of a problem.

So was most of the tech developed for the Space Race in the 60's

In the public sector none of those solutions had problems they could solve. But once the solutions were out there, we found problems to use them on and tech exploded in the public sector.

Nothing wrong with developing technology just to the heck of it and without a clear viable practical purpose.

This concept is cool. It's over thinking a bike tire flat. But the concept is cool and when put in front of enough eyes, I'm sure someone will see an alternative use for it.

Skipjacks 10-22-19 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21174988)
Why doesn't someone invent something really useful, like an electronic oil slick sprayer like the Batmobile had? Draft me on the M.U.P. without permission? I don't think so. Instead, we get things like disc brakes, gravel bikes and 1x drivetrains. :innocent:

Put some Penzoil in a water pistol and boom....you're the Bat Bike.

Wanna automate it? Just get a windshield washer tank and pump from an older car, hook it up to a small battery and put a button on the handlebars.

(I may or may not have had this idea before and have already given it way more thought than I should have. Maybe.)

livedarklions 10-22-19 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by subgrade (Post 21175139)
I have a suspicion that the 'pumping tube' can never have a higher pressure than the tire itself.

I knew there was something "perpetual motion" about it--I think that's likely right.

Notso_fastLane 10-22-19 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by subgrade (Post 21175139)

Sort of. I assume the thin tube running through the middle (?) of the tire is fairly small. The squeeze from the tire can locally be higher pressure than the gross pressure of the tire, which is much larger volume. This can work in using that method. It's not intended to refill a tire after being patched, or running out of air because of an actual puncture or leak. It's only going to be capable of small volume, which means maintaining, or inflating a slightly under-inflated tire.

It's the same idea behind a hydraulic lift similar to what's used for cars. You have a small pump making fairly moderate pressure, but it moves a lot of liquid (slowly) over time. You can lift a car with only 10 psi, it just takes a large area. :)

Milton Keynes 10-22-19 03:26 PM

And to think I solved this problem simply by buying a small air compressor.

Reynolds 10-22-19 08:11 PM

Nakano Air Hub:

https://www.amazon.com/Nakano-Air-Hub/dp/B019NR0Q2C

Gresp15C 10-22-19 10:38 PM

Can it even work? Once the tire gets above atmospheric pressure, the pressure inside the tire will squish the tubing shut.

terrymorse 10-25-19 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Gresp15C (Post 21175876)
Once the tire gets above atmospheric pressure, the pressure inside the tire will squish the tubing shut.

The tube is open at one end to tire pressure, so the pressure inside the tube and tire should be the same.

Digger Goreman 10-25-19 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Skipjacks (Post 21175160)
Nothing wrong with developing technology just to the heck of it and without a clear viable practical purpose.

A polluted and warming Mother Earth would like to disagree....

Skipjacks 10-25-19 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Digger Goreman (Post 21180212)
A polluted and warming Mother Earth would like to disagree....

Oh goody...virtue signaling....just what this thread needed

http://akns-images.eonline.com/eol_i...0:600;left,top

BrendaAnderson 10-26-19 02:37 AM

Why don't you try a different option?

BrendaAnderson 10-26-19 02:40 AM

This is quite something else.

HerrKaLeun 10-26-19 06:48 AM

For the tube pump to work, the pressure in the tire needs to be higher than in the tube, or it won't compress. But the the air doesn't flow into the tire.
It would need some pressure doubler.

Remonds me of my ideas to build a perpetum mobile... when I was 8.

Unca_Sam 10-26-19 07:17 AM

Ok, reading comprehension time.

The website took 5 minutes to read and is devoid of anything that would make it above an 8th grade reading level.

The product is intended for commuter and city bikes (35-45mm wide tires, pressures from 65-35psi) seeing frequent use. Not high pressure skinnies.
Best bet on construction is that it's similar to a clincher tubular tire. They won't fully explain the trade secret because 'trade secret', but the pumping tube is likely outside the casing under the tread. Some one way valves are capable of stepping pressure up around the wheel to overcome internal pressure.

Biggest downsides are increased rolling resistance and potentially abnormal handling, depending on the valves and how much volume the pumping channel uses.

Maybe for mtb tires too, but the amount of pumping needed for loaded touring, sport, and road tires is likely impractical.