Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Commuting (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   What is "Freddy" with regards to Bikes? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=774028)

Easy Peasy 10-08-11 09:54 PM

What is "Freddy" with regards to Bikes?

I see comments about "Fred" and "Freddy" but not sure what that means. Just curious. Thanks.

jsdavis 10-08-11 10:29 PM

I am not entirely sure either, but from what I gather it's anything that makes the bike uncool or practical and arguably safer. Things like fenders, racks and panniers, reflective gear, lights, bells are all considered to be Fred. From what I can gather it's anything that doesn't align with the current fixed gear trend or possibly road cycling as a sport.

nashcommguy 10-08-11 10:34 PM

Try using your site search function. That's not meant in a snarky way it's just that being a Fred is difficult to explain. To some cyclists a Fred is anyone who doesn't ride a 4,000.00 titanium 14.3 oz road bike. Then there's the Fred who does ride the 4,000.00 titanium 14.3 oz road bike, but shouldn't be wearing lycra/spandex...it's not a pleasant image for children and self-aware adults.

There are some really funny past threads on 'Fredliness' that one who's more tech savvy than me will undoubtedly post. Lookin' forward to it. :thumb:

robberry 10-08-11 10:57 PM

Two views:

The completely non-caring cyclists who rides with a cushy seat, fenders, and has those old fashion streamers.

The weekend rider who spends $5,000 buying a super-light bike and the most expensive bike to look "like a pro," but has to push the bike up a small hills.

Scheherezade 10-09-11 04:00 AM

90s mountain bike with clip-on aero bars
Pick any three: multiple front/rear lights, conspicuosy tape, ANSI vest, multiple mirrors, AIRZOUND
Road bike with bars at least 3 inches above saddle
Anyone riding a 'bent
Moustache

mgw189 10-09-11 04:20 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_(bicycling) .

Easy Peasy 10-09-11 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by jsdavis (Post 13338507)
I am not entirely sure either, but from what I gather it's anything that makes the bike uncool or practical and arguably safer. Things like fenders, racks and panniers, reflective gear, lights, bells are all considered to be Fred. From what I can gather it's anything that doesn't align with the current fixed gear trend or possibly road cycling as a sport.

That sounds like my relatively inexpensive but much used and fully accessorized rig. And I take it as a compliment. : - )

xtrajack 10-09-11 07:23 AM

I am a Fred.

Schwinnrider 10-09-11 07:37 AM

I think there's a fine line between Fred and retrogrouch.

unterhausen 10-09-11 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by robberry (Post 13338594)
The weekend rider who spends $5,000 buying a super-light bike and the most expensive bike to look "like a pro," but has to push the bike up a small hills.

I would say that's more of a poseur. There is some overlap with the terms "Fred" and "poseur." I think a Fred will generally kick the ass of a poseur, even though there is approximately $4700 less invested in the Fred's bike.

nashcommguy 10-09-11 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Schwinnrider (Post 13339165)
I think there's a fine line between Fred and retrogrouch.

Oh yeah. One can be both, easily. For me the height of 'retro-grouchiness' are guys that look slightly pissed while riding a 2000.00 Waterford. In a few years they'll be on 'bents.

But, yes take being called a Fred as a compliment by all means. Because, as we all know 'Fredliness is next to Godliness'.

SlimRider 10-09-11 11:21 AM

I used to be a bonafide, genuine, lycra, jersey-wearing, roadie!

However, for some reason, I'm gettin' pissed by all of the Fredliness talk!

Leave the Freds alone!!!

- Slim :) ...aka Fred

caloso 10-09-11 11:42 AM

I have also noticed that the hardcore racers have a bit of Fred in them too. Training bikes are usually fitted with 32 spoke wheels, frame pumps, saddle bags. Plus blinkies, lights and fenders for the winter. To put in the miles to be competitive, you have to be ready for anything.

Sixty Fiver 10-09-11 11:50 AM

From Wiki...

" In 1934-35, Birchmore rode around the world on a bicycle he named Bucephalus. Birchmore and Bucephalus traveled approximately 25,000 miles. Bucephalus is now on display at the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, D.C.[3][4][5][6] In one famous incident while touring in Italy, Birchmore passed a bunch of racers during a race he had crossed paths with by chance. And despite going up hill on his loaded 50 pound non-racing bike, he passed the finish line well ahead of the racers."

Birchmore was one of the greatest athletes of the 20th century... had he so desired he could have dominated many sports including competitive cycling.

And he named his bike... :)

LesterOfPuppets 10-09-11 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Scheherezade (Post 13338884)
Road bike with bars at least 3 inches above saddle

I think Fred starts as soon as the bars get above the saddle.

Sixty Fiver 10-09-11 11:54 AM

A poser is the person who drops a fortune on their kit who pays just as much attention to looking the part but is more show than go.

The derisive use of "fred" surely stems, in part, from posers who have had their ass handed to them by some average guy on a bicycle that does not meet their ideal of what is right.

Road nazis put their little ones to bed at night and tell them stories of Freds to frighten them and inspire them to never become posers.

:D

I-Like-To-Bike 10-09-11 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver (Post 13339870)
A poser is the person who drops a fortune on their kit who pays just as much attention to looking the part but is more show than go.

The derisive use of "fred" surely stems, in part, from posers who have had their ass handed to them by some average guy on a bicycle that does not meet their ideal of what is right.

Road nazis put their little ones to bed at night and tell them stories of Freds to frighten them and inspire them to never become posers.

:D

What do you call bicyclists who are all wrapped up in how competitive other cyclists are, even when the other cyclists didn't know they were in a race?

Who but a dumbbell gives a rat's behind if he get his/her "ass handed to them" by somebody who dreams everybody is in some sort of race?

Sixty Fiver 10-09-11 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike (Post 13339911)
What do you call bicyclists who are all wrapped up in how competitive other cyclists are, even when the other cyclists didn't know they were in a race?

Who but a dumbbell gives a rat's behind if he get his/her "ass handed to them" by somebody who dreams everybody is in some sort of race?

What do you call cyclists with no sense of humour ?

I-Like-To-Bike 10-09-11 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver (Post 13339922)

Do you think the dumbbells are joking when assigning some sort of value to impromptu one sided races with strangers? Especially when the topic is bicycle commuting.

no1mad 10-09-11 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver (Post 13339922)

In training...

I-Like-To-Bike 10-09-11 12:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by no1mad (Post 13339958)
In training...

Not a Fred, but a Real Cyclist who gets his ass handed to him by no man!

Sixty Fiver 10-09-11 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike (Post 13339956)
Do you think the dumbbells are joking when assigning some sort of value to impromptu one sided races with strangers? Especially when the topic is bicycle commuting.

So... you must be in training.

Cat 6 racing is where it is at... there is a little old lady in a hopped up walker that is going to get hers the next time we meet.

Jim-in-Kirkland 10-09-11 07:35 PM

OMG - I am fred! All this time & did not know it....

idc 10-09-11 07:54 PM

"Fred" basically means a bike chump. Which is of course, subjective.

Easy Peasy 10-09-11 08:05 PM

Added some reflective tape/Freddiness on my rig today.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...G/IMG_1678.jpg