Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Living Car Free (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=226)
-   -   Test (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1177403)

wipekitty 07-03-19 10:51 PM

Delete this thread!

test - attempting to delete.

rumrunn6 07-04-19 06:26 AM

I think only a moderator can delete a thread

FBOATSB 07-04-19 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by rumrunn6 (Post 21010794)
I think only a moderator can delete a thread

Actually, any OP can delete their own thread in entirety by clicking the edit button and clicking the delete thread button.

Machka 07-04-19 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by FBOATSB (Post 21010804)
Actually, any OP can delete their own thread in entirety by clicking the edit button and clicking the delete thread button.

Yes.

wipekitty 07-04-19 12:30 PM

I have been unable to find the 'delete thread' button, and started a new thread on the topic in User Assistance: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sug...l#post21011290

Machka 07-04-19 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by wipekitty (Post 21011291)
I have been unable to find the 'delete thread' button, and started a new thread on the topic in User Assistance: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sug...l#post21011290

Click the Edit button.
Click Delete.

This message will come up in a grey area underneath the message:

To delete this message, check the appropriate option below and then click the 'Delete this Message' button.
Note: deleting this message will result in the deletion of the entire thread because this is the first post in the thread.

Underneath that area Delete Options.

Select Delete Message.

In the bottom right corner of the grey area is a button that says, Delete This Message. Click that and it's gone.

wttrjenkins 07-05-19 07:13 AM

I had the same issue. I made a post a few nights ago and after posting it didn't show up so I reposted it. The next day I noticed I had two posts identical. I tried editing it to delete but there wasn't a spot. The only thing I could change was the text of the post.

wipekitty 07-05-19 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by wttrjenkins (Post 21012265)
I had the same issue. I made a post a few nights ago and after posting it didn't show up so I reposted it. The next day I noticed I had two posts identical. I tried editing it to delete but there wasn't a spot. The only thing I could change was the text of the post.

Just learned that only Titanium (premium) members can delete their own threads!

Jim from Boston 07-05-19 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by wipekitty (Post 21010551)
test - attempting to delete.

Originally Posted by FBOATSB (Post 21010804)

Originally Posted by wipekitty (Post 21011291)

Originally Posted by wipekitty (Post 21011290)
…I was under the impression that it was possible to delete one's own thread - and indeed, recall a heated discussion a couple of years ago after some posters were unhappy that the OP deleted the entire thread

I have previously posted about such a heated discussion on this Living Car Free Forum, maybe the same one:

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston (Post 20522706)

Originally Posted by Machka (Post 19375130)
You're right, I did start a thread like that.
You're also right that you could not find it.
I deleted it
. .

Originally Posted by Roody (Post 19376154)
I contributed to that thread, my thoughts and ideas that I took some time to type out. How dare you delete the thread without permission of those who contributed?

I think this is outrageous. You have no right! How were you able to even do that?

Originally Posted by winston63 (Post 19381132)
I've got to admit I find it very surprising that a thread starter can delete a thread

To be honest I'm not all that comfortable with the thought that a thread starter can just delete someone's contribution at will.

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston (Post 19384374)
So if may pose this question, What is the value or utility to you of looking up old posts/threads? I would assume that any useful information would be utilized soon after reading.

Early on after joining Bike Forums I copied and filed a few posts for their content and style, but not for years.

Originally Posted by Machka (Post 19389817)
...you do realise that everything you post here is temporary, right? I've been here long enough for there to be several server changes during which time posts were lost.

And it won't be long before this forum disappears entirely ... say, maybe, 5 years or 10 years.

If you think what you typed had some "Voice of God" like value, you should have saved a copy of it.

Originally Posted by Machka (Post 19389845)
Comments on a forum, like life, are merely temporary. Like Rowan says... discussions here are like those which might occur in a pub. They aren't doctoral theses.

However, if there are comments I make which I think I might use again, I save them in a file. Then I copy and paste them into threads as desired….

Originally Posted by cooker (Post 19393428)
I too am shocked that an OP can delete a thread.

Sometimes I consult past threads for research I or others have previously done on some topic under discussion; and sometimes I see posts that are very well written and thought out and I would go as far as saying they are literary contributions that deserve to be archived for posterity

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike (Post 19390377)
Whenold posts/threads are looked up and commented on by one poster, it gives another poster on LCF an opportunity to bellyache about referencing so-called zombie threads.

Such earnest complaints are always entertaining. :lol:

Rollfast 07-06-19 12:50 AM

Click the Report button and basically report yourself, You aren't like hurting yourself.

Machka 07-06-19 01:05 AM

It's all sorted in the Forum Help subforum. :)

Rollfast 07-07-19 07:24 PM

BTW @Jim from Boston, that was MY thread.

cooker 07-10-19 02:54 PM

This thread is quickly becoming my favorite - I hope it goes on for 20 pages!

Jim from Boston 07-10-19 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Rollfast (Post 21015976)

What is the antecedent thread to which you refer? Link please, or it didn't happen.

Jim from Boston 07-10-19 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by cooker (Post 21020795)

Why is that if I may ask? This is seemingly an obscure, rarely encountered question.

Rollfast 07-10-19 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston (Post 21021055)
What is the antecedent thread to which you refer? Link please, or it didn't happen.

It's gone now, so there is no link.

Jim from Boston 07-11-19 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by Rollfast (Post 21015976)

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston (Post 21021055)

Originally Posted by Rollfast (Post 21021356)
It's gone now, so there is no link.

So, if I may ask, what was the topic, and why did you delete it? Inquiring mind(s) want to know. :innocent:

cooker 07-11-19 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston (Post 21021056)
Why is that if I may ask? This is seemingly an obscure, rarely encountered question.

Just kidding around. She intended this to be a one post, temporary thread, where she created it and immediately deleted it.

ksryder 07-11-19 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by wipekitty (Post 21012704)
Just learned that only Titanium (premium) members can delete their own threads!

Carbon Fiber members can expect their threads to asplode.

Rollfast 07-11-19 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by ksryder (Post 21021748)
Carbon Fiber members can expect their threads to asplode.

But Steel Is Real. And Thanks For Tanks.

wipekitty 07-11-19 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by cooker (Post 21020795)

Precisely why I did not ask the mods to delete... :innocent:

3alarmer 08-18-19 10:10 PM

....I have to admit, I only come here occasionally for the crazy. :popcorn Let the good times roll ! :love:

badger1 08-19-19 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by 3alarmer (Post 21081624)
....I have to admit, I only come here occasionally for the crazy. :popcorn Let the good times roll ! :love:

Sigh. Just hasn't been the same since a certain person left the building.

A thread about deleting threads is a valiant attempt, and certainly worth keeping alive, but sadly it does not bear comparison with some of the classics in the LCF archives.

3alarmer 08-20-19 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by badger1 (Post 21081761)
Sigh. Just hasn't been the same since a certain person left the building.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...9824d00899.jpg

3alarmer 08-20-19 09:15 AM

...this is why we can't have nice things. :(