Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   One Man’s View Of Disc Brakes (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1181550)

colnago62 08-19-19 02:31 PM

One Man’s View Of Disc Brakes

SundayNiagara 08-19-19 03:07 PM

I asked the owner of the LBS here in Hialeah, (Leon) who's been in biz for more than 50 years and his answer was: If you plan on riding in wet weather, disc brakes are superior. If not stick with rim brakes. I did.

WhyFi 08-19-19 03:36 PM

Um, good for him? Is there a reason that I'm supposed to care about his reasons and how he weights them more than my own? I mean, there are trade-offs either way - choose the compromise that you're most comfortable with and don't worry about whether or not that works for someone else.

badger1 08-19-19 03:39 PM

What are "disc beakes"? Are these an anatomical feature of some newly-discovered species of bird?

MoAlpha 08-19-19 03:49 PM

I appreciated that he wasn’t out to have a “disc bash.” I mean, I have discs and I’m really tired of people saying they’re heavy and hard to maintain and stuff.

colnago62 08-19-19 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21082771)
Um, good for him? Is there a reason that I'm supposed to care about his reasons and how he weights them more than my own? I mean, there are trade-offs either way - choose the compromise that you're most comfortable with and don't worry about whether or not that works for someone else.

No more so than we should care about yours.

colnago62 08-19-19 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by badger1 (Post 21082780)
What are "disc beakes"? Are these an anatomical feature of some newly-discovered species of bird?

Fixed it 😂 I guess it won’t fix. Brakes it will stay.

WhyFi 08-19-19 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by colnago62 (Post 21082804)
No more so than we should care about yours.

I'm sure that you intended this as a dis, but you're exactly right, which I why I would never bother with a self-important video. I really don't care if my reasons don't apply or carry the same weight with you, just like I don't care if this guy's reasons don't resonate with me.

Kimmo 08-19-19 04:20 PM

All those mid-paragraph cuts reminded me of this

colnago62 08-19-19 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21082827)
I'm sure that you intended this as a dis, but you're exactly right, which I why I would never bother with a self-important video. I really don't care if my reasons don't apply or carry the same weight with you, just like I don't care if this guy's reasons don't resonate with me.

You asked a question and I answered. Judging your post, you agree with my response.

WhyFi 08-19-19 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by colnago62 (Post 21082846)
You asked a question and I answered. Judging your post, you agree with my response.

I agree with your response but it brings in to question the reasons for sharing the video in the first place.

colnago62 08-19-19 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21082793)
I appreciated that he wasn’t out to have a “disc bash.” I mean, I have discs and I’m really tired of people saying they’re heavy and hard to maintain and stuff.

The one reason that I found interesting was about weight limit and how he would like to use the added weight to make the bike more aero.

Seattle Forrest 08-19-19 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21082793)

Hard to maintain, and confusing like a FD.

Kimmo 08-19-19 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest (Post 21082935)

At least FDs can't leak, unless you're that one guy with a Rotor one.

But seriously, FDs are long sorted. Road disc is still undercooked, IMO. Companies need to get it together WRT adhering to standards, and the calipers can use a tad more pad gap I reckon.

MoAlpha 08-19-19 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest (Post 21082935)

:D Yeah, man. Harder to maintain than a good attitude, or something.

MoAlpha 08-19-19 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by colnago62 (Post 21082865)
The one reason that I found interesting was about weight limit and how he would like to use the added weight to make the bike more aero.

Yes, it was an interesting point and potentially relevant for those at a level where 100s of grams and single digit Watts matter.

colnago62 08-19-19 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21082957)
Yes, it was an interesting point and potentially relevant for those at a level where 100s of grams and single digit Watts matter.

Yes, clearly he races at a high level an views his needs that way.

WhyFi 08-19-19 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21082957)

Come now. It's the 41 - it's applicable to everyone. Any other conclusion is herd think and swallowing the pills that Big Bike feeds us.

Seattle Forrest 08-19-19 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by colnago62 (Post 21083035)
Yes, clearly he races at a high level an views his needs that way.

This isn't the racing forum. There's a different part of BF for that, and this isn't it. Most recreational cyclists - the people the 41 was made for - aren't well served by imitating racers. There are so many more reasons to ride a bike, and the focus on everything should only be done to mimic people who race at a high level, it's myopic.

Seattle Forrest 08-19-19 07:15 PM

I mean, I don't care what kind of computer Bill Gates uses either.

MoAlpha 08-19-19 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21083077)
Come now. It's the 41 - it's applicable to everyone. Any other conclusion is herd think and swallowing the pills that Big Bike feeds us.

I just wish to say that I am totally cool with that video and how nice it is to be young, hot ****, and have enough bikes/bike turnover to “switch” back to rim brakes. Do you mother****ers realize I will probably never buy another pair of good shoes?

Marcus_Ti 08-19-19 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Kimmo (Post 21082946)

But seriously, FDs are long sorted. Road disc is still undercooked, IMO. Companies need to get it together WRT adhering to standards, and the calipers can use a tad more pad gap I reckon.

(Must resist making SRAM joke)

tomato coupe 08-19-19 07:46 PM

I think it's a good video, and I like this guy. That being said, he:

1. mostly uses alloy wheels.

2. rarely rides in the rain.

3. doesn't do long descents.

4. rarely ventures off the tarmac.

5. doesn't appear to weigh very much.

Rim brakes are a good choice in his situation. If you aren't rail-thin, if you ride in the mountains, and you prefer carbon wheels, however, you might find disc brakes offer an advantage.

colnago62 08-19-19 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Kimmo (Post 21082946)

The smartest thing the music instrument industry did was agree on the midi system. This allows all equipment, regardless of manufacturer to work together.

colnago62 08-19-19 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by tomato coupe (Post 21083155)
I think it's a good video, and I like this guy. That being said, he:

1. mostly uses alloy wheels.

2. rarely rides in the rain.

3. doesn't do long descents.

4. rarely ventures off the tarmac.

5. doesn't appear to weigh very much.

Rim brakes are a good choice in his situation. If you aren't rail-thin, if you ride in the mountains, and you prefer carbon wheels, however, you might find disc brakes offer an advantage.

Yes. Know your needs.