Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Extra parts, what to do... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1190090)

RockiesDad 12-14-19 12:19 PM

Extra parts, what to do...

If you are into biking for awhile you tend to buy new/used parts to try and customize/upgrade your ride. After a few years or so, now you have a collection of bike parts in a bin that are too good to throw away but not quite good enough to sell.

Take tires as an example, you buy another set (cheap upgrade) to try while you current set is not even half used up. You swap them out thinking that you will use that as a spare. After while all these thing pile up. BTW I think this goes on for any hobby.

So what does everyone do with all these parts? After awhile your significant other will start calling you out on it. Is there a time and place to let these things go? Just wondering...

Ironfish653 12-14-19 12:23 PM

Find a used/cheap/free interesting frame and build another bike.

Then go here: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ox-builds.html

JanMM 12-14-19 01:23 PM

Give to bicycle co-op or non-profit.

raceboy 12-14-19 01:31 PM

I have an old bike I use for donor parts and it is to the point where I should donate it to the co-op so they can rebuild it and sell it. Yet it never seems to have gotten there... procrastination.

dedhed 12-14-19 02:20 PM

Donate
Home - Bike Kitchen San Francisco

https://www.sfyellowbike.org/

http://pedalrevolution.org/

TheDudeIsHere 12-14-19 02:26 PM

I give mine away to cycling buddies who need them. I've given wheelsets, saddles, and plenty other parts.

As far as half used stock tires? Heck, mine never make it that far. I'd rather toss them and save the hassle. :D

HerrKaLeun 12-14-19 02:41 PM

If it is a bike you may sell at some point, keep them to put on before sale. Example, I have Jones bars on my bikes, which I intend to use on future bikes. other examples pedals and so on. when I sell the bike, I put the original stuff on

If those are just crappy parts, like tires you upgraded, sell them. Some bike messenger or commuter always needs a $5 tire. Or use for a project bike, or donate to coop.

spelger 12-14-19 06:28 PM

Gotta love first world problems.

02Giant 12-14-19 06:37 PM

I give my take-off's to the local Co-op.

wolfchild 12-15-19 04:43 AM

I keep them because I know that eventually at some point in time I may use them again...Here is an example: I used to have drop bars on my mountain bikes for a few years, then I took them off and changed to riser bars and kept the drops in my parts bin for a few years. Just this week I decided to go back to drop bars and I am glad I had them in my parts bin.

veganbikes 12-17-19 09:46 PM

I have built up 3 bikes currently with parts. One a lovely hybrid with a 8 speed XT rear derailleur XTR 9 speed shifter, a Tiagra Hollowtech II crank that also had the BB, a set of Surly Moloko bars and some other fun parts I didn't spend anything on or spent very little on. The second was built up as a vintage road bike with a mostly complete 600 Tricolor gruppo that I bought for $20 that came on a Guercotti bike I gave to a co-worker. The third was built up as a touring bike for a smaller rider and just need to get it sold at this point but unfortunately the last buyer backed out when he left the company. I have also helped various friends out with their bikes and picked parts for various other builds to keep things going. I just pulled another frame that we were tossing and am planning on throwing more parts on that and probably giving it away to a friend who could really use it.

Basically having parts in stock have saved me and built me some really awesome bikes. Granted yes I have stockpiled some primo parts and some oddities but I wouldn't want to live without them. I love the fun of rummaging around the parts bins and building up a bike from it, it is an awesome feeling.

MarcusT 12-17-19 11:05 PM

I do nothing. My friends spend much more on bikes, components and gear than I do, thus anything extra would be of no interest. No co-op around here, waiting to assemble a full bike, then donating it

Miele Man 12-18-19 01:54 PM

I have a number of quality extra components such as old-shcool Dura Ace front and rear derailleurs, Dura Ace Uniglide hubs (with cassette) and other good components. Unfortunately up here in Ontario Canada postage is so expensive that it's hard to sell these things. I used to donate to the not so local bicycle co-op before it became a storefront type operation with high prices for most components. So, those components continue to languish in my parts boxes.

Cheers

msu2001la 12-18-19 02:19 PM

I currently have a full 10sp 105 groupset and two sets of 10sp road wheels in my basement that are in used-but-good condition.
I debated trying to sell the parts on ebay, but I'm not sure it's worth the hassle, so I'm planning to donate them to a local co-op next week. Hopefully they can find a use for this stuff. I've donated complete bikes in the past but never just parts.

Troul 12-18-19 04:58 PM

I offer for free of my spares that I see no use of to a few people that ride bicycles & if they don't want them, I pitch them. Not having the space to hoard the parts causes it. Plus, a newer version or change on my bicycle dictates the decision, pending other variables.

stevoo 12-19-19 11:06 AM

Like many bike enthusiasts who have been riding for many years I too have collected way too many extra bike parts. It kind of creeps up on you.

Well the other week I boxed it all up and searched for a local Co-op to donate it to. Should have seen their faces when I arrived. It is the holidays after all. They were very happy to get the parts.

I received a tax donation receipt and an invitation to volunteer if I had some extra time.

Great to recycle and keep good parts out of the landfill.