Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   The Brass bike bell (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197438)

thehammerdog 04-05-20 08:10 AM

The Brass bike bell

luving my little brass handle bar mount bell.
ding ding ding nice warning to folks walking on the rail trails.
best thing i bought for my bike in years.
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...36c59b220c.jpg
bell goes ding...friendly way to say get out da way.

nomadmax 04-05-20 08:36 AM

I have one exactly like that in my spare parts bin; apparently the rider is the only person who can hear it. I've been looking for a replacement that sounds like train horn.

Marcus_Ti 04-05-20 08:49 AM

Been using a SpurCycle bell for a few years now. Best piece of safety equipment for the MUP you can get. Nice sound, carries well, and if someone doesn't hear--they won't hear anything else either.

rosefarts 04-05-20 06:25 PM

I've been joking with my wife that I want a really sick sounding cough instead of the bell.

Hondo Gravel 04-05-20 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by rosefarts (Post 21402486)
I've been joking with my wife that I want a really sick sounding cough instead of the bell.

That’s so wrong it’s :roflmao2:

Russ Roth 04-05-20 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by nomadmax (Post 21401615)
I have one exactly like that in my spare parts bin; apparently the rider is the only person who can hear it. I've been looking for a replacement that sounds like train horn.

Here you go, nice backup for when the brass bell doesn't work
Blast? Airhorn | BioLogic Bicycle Accessories and Bike Gear

thehammerdog 04-05-20 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Russ Roth (Post 21402507)
Here you go, nice backup for when the brass bell doesn't work
Blast? Airhorn | BioLogic Bicycle Accessories and Bike Gear

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...67a330b38f.jpg
this wirks well but only in tight spaces

alo 04-05-20 08:22 PM

Even something that sounds like a big dog barking.

alo 04-05-20 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by nomadmax (Post 21401615)

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...8532620a47.jpg

Sold on ebay.

katsup 04-05-20 09:28 PM

Brake squeal is more effective than a bell, which makes people jump out of the way. But I tend to tune my brakes to be quiet, so I have a bell and yell when they don't move.

sdmc530 04-06-20 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti (Post 21401632)
Been using a SpurCycle bell for a few years now. Best piece of safety equipment for the MUP you can get. Nice sound, carries well, and if someone doesn't hear--they won't hear anything else either.

I want one myself for the MUP, they are the nicest bell I have come across ever. I just can't spend $50 on a darn bell. Just haven't gotten the never to buy one.

Marcus_Ti 04-06-20 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by sdmc530 (Post 21403307)
I want one myself for the MUP, they are the nicest bell I have come across ever. I just can't spend $50 on a darn bell. Just haven't gotten the never to buy one.

Good product made by a good company.

The amazing thing about it....something as simple as a bell, you'd think there would be cheapo counterfeits just as good....I mean come on, how hard is it to copy a mechanical bell of all things? Well all the counterfeits suck, and most bicycle bells even legit products are nowhere near as good.

mstateglfr 04-06-20 09:12 AM

Ha, funny that spurcycle is mentioned as I was telling my wife about that bell yesterday. Was retelling an article that compared it(in material and finish) to a rock bros knockoff and how every bit is sourced and made in the US vs Asia. The review result was basically- the spurcycle sounds nicer and rings longer, but the rock bros works great and is almost the same for less than half the cost.

The ring may be more true and last longer, but when riding past someone it only needs to ring for so long before it's pointless.

I've been tempted more than once by it though.

thehammerdog 04-06-20 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti (Post 21403323)
Good product made by a good company.

The amazing thing about it....something as simple as a bell, you'd think there would be cheapo counterfeits just as good....I mean come on, how hard is it to copy a mechanical bell of all things? Well all the counterfeits suck, and most bicycle bells even legit products are nowhere near as good.

i got mine on sale like $9.00 at Sierra trading outlet.
full brass nice bell.

sdmc530 04-06-20 03:20 PM

Someday I will just bite the bullet and buy one....I currently use the bell the lord gave me." ON YOUR LEFT!"

GeneO 04-06-20 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by sdmc530 (Post 21404031)
Someday I will just bite the bullet and buy one....I currently use the bell the lord gave me." ON YOUR LEFT!"

No, your other left! I prefer the spurcycle now. Give it enough in advance and let them choose which way. LOL. I've retired and switched from from commuting gravel bike to mostly my road bike on roads and paved trails. Next ride I will switch the spur from the gravel to road bike.

bonsai171 04-06-20 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by sdmc530 (Post 21404031)

​​​​​​And they move left lol

FolderBeholder 04-06-20 05:50 PM

When I do that, people always move to THEIR left, forcing me to pass on their right.

Then I exclaim as I pass Them “or...on your right if you prefer!”

unterhausen 04-07-20 07:34 AM

Crane Riten bell is the only bell to have. It's a bit heavy though.

CVB 04-13-20 12:50 PM

I have a bell (brass bell by Crane), but those who hear it jump so high and seem so startled, and what I might hear as a happy ding they might hear as insistent. (Reminds me of how you can't tell the difference between a honk that means, "hey, I know you!" and one that means "I wish you weren't riding a bike in MY lane") So I've taken to just calling out, "Good morning!" or "Good afternoon!" or some other friendly greeting. They are still startled, but they realize I'm friendly.

chas58 04-14-20 11:42 AM

the SpurCycle is the most effective bell I've every used. It has a crisp tone that is long lasting - the length of the ring lets people know how fast I am approaching them and really seems to help. The unique crisp tone and long duration make the bell very effective.

I did to a test once (in jaded Paris).
  1. Electronic bike bell - no one reacted to it.
  2. Standard bike bell - 20% of the people reacted to it.
  3. loud brakes - 100% of the people got out of my way.

Nothing really beats #3 .

biker128pedal 04-15-20 04:23 PM

Does no good. I was solo riding on a trail two weeks ago. Two guys straddling the trail not 6 feet apart did not move for the bell or even when I coughed.

Oh I have a Knog Oi bell on one bike and Incredabell on the other. Great but useless warning walkers runners or riders with ear buds blasting.

Edit: The Oi is sleek and makes a nice noise. The spring on the clapper is not robust. Mine is bent but still works. The Incredabell is loader. The spring is less bent. The Spurcycle look more rugged. Maybe one day.

fourfa 04-16-20 01:50 PM

I've been happy with this. Loud enough, no extra bar space taken, and essential zero added weight compared to most computer mounts:

https://www.closethegap.cc/product/h...omputer-mount/

Every so often I try mounting something on the bar under the right brifter such that I don't have to break my grip / take hands off brakes to ring the bell (occasionally people panic when they hear a bell and do something unpredictable). No success yet, returned three different bells - open to ideas if anyone has one

kevrider 04-16-20 07:57 PM

i like this one for drop bar bikes, on the steerer, instead of the bar. tho it was easier to reach before i put that bento box in the way. works well.
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...c51134026.jpeg
modernbike sells, tho theirs have a silver spacer...