Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=259)
-   -   Bar Fly vs K-Edge combo mounts (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1194829)

surak 02-28-20 01:14 PM

Bar Fly vs K-Edge combo mounts

Why are K-Edge combo mounts significantly more expensive than Bar Fly's? I want an out-front combo mount for my Elemnt Bolt and a light, and I want to understand whether the K-Edge offers $25 more value when it comes with fewer adapters. I have a Bar Fly TT mount and have no complaints about it.

Secret Squirrel 02-28-20 01:31 PM

I have both k-edge and barfly out front mounts. After 3 barfly mount warranty claims for breakage at the clamp hinge, I gave up and bought another K-edge mount

surak 02-28-20 03:43 PM

Yikes :eek:! K-Edge it is, then. Presumably I haven't had issues with my Bar Fly TT mount because it is short and stubby unlike a proper out front mount, but I'd rather have peace of mind.

August West 02-28-20 08:07 PM

I've got the K-Edge and although a bit pricey you can't beat the quality. Makes me feel a little more at ease when I have an expesive computer + light hanging off of it while I'm bouncing my way along on the chip seal and over the cattle guards I ride on a lot of the time.

Marcus_Ti 02-28-20 08:10 PM

Because they can....the gadgets are stupidly expensive for how little they are. They're usually nicely machined--but for a tiny hunk of moulded aluminum--$50-$70USD is outright laughable.

atwl77 03-01-20 09:59 PM

K-edge is slim and shiny machined aluminum, Bar Fly are chunky plastic pieces. Usability the same though -- they support your cycling computer, and any extra accessory (light or action camera) underneath.

sdmc530 03-02-20 08:20 PM

I too broke a bar fly.....never buy one again. I spent the cash on k-edge and its been perfect. I have 2 one with the gopro mount on the underside and the other with a headlight mount and they work well. Very well made and looks way better than a plastic version IMO. I think they are worth the money and if you watch ebay you can get them used sometimes. If its not looking nice give it a quick paint job easy to do.

FWIW I have the garmin out front mount on one of my other bikes that I don't use very often. The one that came with the head unit and it works just fine as well. Just not a pretty.

You can get the inserts too if need be for k-edge but I can't imagine that part ever wearing out?

August West 03-02-20 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti (Post 21347286)
--but for a tiny hunk of moulded aluminum--$50-$70USD is outright laughable.

They are not molded, they are machined from billet. Quality design & testing, CNC machining in the USA and a lifetime warranty cost money.

If the cost is too high, there are plenty of cheaper Chinese imitations and well as molded plastic mounts available if that is more to someones liking.

DrIsotope 03-02-20 09:25 PM

If you had a $300 saddle, would you quibble over a $20 difference between two seatposts?

I have a $250 GPS unit, so I have no problem with a $60 out-front mount to hold it.

And as someone who has used both a BarFly 4 Max and a K-Edge XL, it's K-Edge all the way.

surak 03-02-20 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by DrIsotope (Post 21350999)
If you had a $300 saddle, would you quibble over a $20 difference between two seatposts?

Hey $20 is $20, and if the difference between the two seatposts was nothing but $20, I'd take the cheaper one and dinner. As luck would have it though, a retailer sent me a $20 code with absolutely no strings attached, and they only carry K-Edge mounts, so the opportunity to quibble was handled deus ex machina.

Edspins 03-06-20 09:48 PM

Has anyone ever gone to the Bar Fly Bike website and seen what they offer? I have been lurking on forums but had to register over this, newbie poster but long time cyclist. Both companies make great mounts but there are specific differences that requires one to go to their websites and make your own decision in the end according to what you need and what your wallet will bear. I understand Barfly sells A LOT of nylon mounts but they have cnced aluminum mounts forever too..They have a bunch of different styles for different disciplines. I like the racing mounts the new Bar Fly bike owners have been putting out.

Hands down, Bar Fly bike mounts are for me although I see our club has a mix of the two brands and a few knockoffs. I have been using a variety of Bar Fly mounts, aluminum and nylon on my bikes for a few years now. I got mine after seeing my buddies riding with them for years and I finally jumped on the GPS wagon. At first I was stupid and went with a 3d printed brand because some influencer touted his and took some sick pictures -- it was a piece of crap. It didn't even last half a season and bounced all over the place the longer I rode with it. Then I put some effort into which of the two companies Barfly bike or Kedge (both have a variety) of mounts should I get for my growing stable of rides. After several years, I can say, I have never had a problem with my Bar Fly 4 nylon or aluminum mounts. I was further convinced I made the right choice when I switched my light to a heavier one with a bigger battery and a smaller sized computer. I was able to keep the same Barfly 4 mount because I kept the extra inserts that came with them. I couldn't have if I bought a kedg..

One of my buds had his warranty claim for a 2012 mount (white) honored even though his model was obsolete! Now that's service. I see false rumors still abound over misinformation in forums without a full back story for this or that warranty complaint. Kedge has a limited warranty policy and they did nothing when their mounts were so sharp they cut cables - oops. I read on a forum that the old barfly owners use to have a code that was being passed around so anyone could claim warranty issues without proving they even had one of their mounts. These guys would get handed a new mount free. To be fair to the old (and new owners), when the warranty policy was updated after they realized what was happening and the complaints started. When guys couldn't scam them for free mounts, it generated unfair complaints against Barfly that still lives on. I have seen idiots wreck their bike on rocky downhills, during cx or stupidly overtorque their nylon mounts that I ride with. They still had their warranties honored by BFB. I can't speak highly enough of the Barfly bike mounts and their longevity on some old dudes bikes in myclub.

My girlfriend and I got new bikeslast year. We bought Wahoo's and aluminum Barfly Race mini's at Amgen last year. I still see original barfly mounts from their first year Barfly bike introduced them at Interbike running on pro bikes at Amgen. Sadly, the mounts lasted longer than the tour. I learned my lesson with 3d and off brand mounts -- never again.

As for price, I find I get much more with Barfly mounts. They are better priced than Kege in comparison especially when I bought the Barfly4 prime (aluminum) and I got everything I needed for one price. A gopro adaptor, light holder and Di2. My local bike shop said Kedge was trying to throttle the market and make them only carry their mounts so they bagged and stayed with BFB. Barfly mounts have been used on the pro teams before kedge ever made them, another fake rumor. So again, lot's of similarities but some differences that made me choose another Barfly mount.

Also, the cost of aluminum mounts is more than the slab of aluminum. Sure you can go with a cheaply made extruded model but CNC is the only way to ensure you get brute strength security. For example, Pinarello uses a cheap manufacture and the forums were complaining about breakage. I question Pinarello's engineers or maybe it was their accountants who allowed for that cost cutting and they aren't the only bike company to cheez out on their integrated mounts. It's easy to say aluminum mounts are too expensive but it takes more than throwing a chunk on a machine and get this stuff to market. Folks are still going to complain that if an item is small they think it should be cheap. Not sure where this idea came from but it also prevails in forums like this and twitter??? Both companies make great mounts so if we want folks who actually care about cycling to continue designing cool gadgets like computer mounts, be able to support themselves with a living wage and aren't knocking off other's designs then we should pay accordingly.

GeneO 03-06-20 10:35 PM

^ The Bar Fly go-pro mount is plastic, the k-edge is CNC aluminum. If you purchase the optional aluminum Bar Fly go-pro mount, the total is more expensive than the k-edge. Just sayin.
The k-edge looks a lot better IMO and also places the computer lower as well

Edspins 03-06-20 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by GeneO (Post 21356536)
^ The Bar Fly go-pro mount is plastic, the k-edge is CNC aluminum. If you purchase the optional aluminum Bar Fly go-pro mount, the total is more expensive than the k-edge. Just sayin.
The k-edge looks a lot better IMO and also places the computer lower as well

Barfly BIke makes a versatile cnc aluminum Gopro Base mount as well as a nylon version.I encourage folks to visit the Barfly Bike website for accurate information and see for themselves. I have both and both are superior at holding my Cycliq or Gopro on or off road. GPS positioning is a personal preference, move your mount up or down. Again, there is a variety of fine mounts by both companies IMHO

GeneO 03-06-20 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Edspins (Post 21356558)
Barfly BIke makes a versatile cnc aluminum Gopro Base mount as well as a nylon version.I encourage folks to visit the Barfly Bike website for accurate information and see for themselves. I have both and both are superior at holding my Cycliq or Gopro on or off road. GPS positioning is a personal preference, move your mount up or down. Again, there is a variety of fine mounts by both companies IMHO

Sure they make an aluminum go-pro mount, I already said that, but it doesn't come with their aluminum computer mount,l. It costs about $25 extra, making the combo around $20 more than the equivalent k-edge. Like I said.

Batstar 03-24-20 03:21 PM

BarFly 4 Mini

I recently acquired a BarFly 4 Mini which was 1 of 2 compatible mounts that would accommodate both my Cateye Strada slim and Cygolite Metro bike light. Would have preferred a K Edge Combo but no adapters for the Cateye appeared to be available at the time. Cateye’s Out Front proprietary bracket was the only other one in the running but the BarFly Mini won out due to its versatility and ideal size for the smaller Strada Slim. The kit came with a variety of adapter heads which bodes well in the event the Cateye is replaced down the road with another brand/model. I had to purchase a Cygolite adapter to fit the kit’s GoPro base which I feel provides a more reliable attachment compared to the universal Barfly light mount which relies solely on rubber O-rings to hold the light in place. Will likely look into getting a GoPro action cam at some point in time.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...04759a3a39.jpg