Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Need to diagnose problem (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1181843)

MSchott 08-22-19 03:46 PM

Need to diagnose problem

I posted this on the Bicycle Mechanics forum here but it’s quickly scrolling down the page so I’ll try here:

I own a 2017 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Sport which I bought NOS earlier this year. It uses the 105 5800 11speed with 11-32t derailleurs and shifters and Praxis cranks and BB.

I’m having an issue with a sporadic clicking sound when pedaling. It doesn’t seem to be related to the gear I’m in and I just had the dealer adjust the derailleurs. They shift perfectly and there’s no chain rub.

Any thoughts on where this clicking is coming from?

tagaproject6 08-22-19 03:50 PM

Check the end cable on your FD. Sometimes it sticks out and hits your pedal or your shoe. Tighten your seat post. Tighten your skewers. Check your bottom bracket.

LAJ 08-22-19 04:07 PM

Along with the above, double check pedal to crank interface. Light coat of lubricant, and tight.

MSchott 08-22-19 04:18 PM

Thank you. Pedals are tight, it’s not the cable or seatpost. Definitely not the skewers. The sound is coming from the pedal area. How do I check the BB? If it’s that, I’d take it under warranty to the dealer. My suspicion is it’s the BB.

Pirkaus 08-22-19 05:59 PM

Also check your chainring and crank spider hardware, to be sure they're tight.

Sapperc 08-22-19 06:10 PM

Often “creaking” noises can be difficult to isolate due to the tendency of sounds to resonate through carbon frames. However, if it is the BB, you should be able to confirm that on a maintenance stand or perhaps in a quiet corner on a shop floor. Try twisting the cranks and pulling and pushing them side to side. There should be no play at all. Any play or noises probably indicate the bearings need attention. Could be dry, corroded, dirty, loose, infiltrated by water, or a combination of issues. It’s also remotely possible that the crank arm could come loose from the axle, which would need replacing. My Praxis BB needed cleaning and repacking at about one year. Praxis recommends yearly BB maintenance anyway. You definitely should be able to get the BB fixed under warranty.

Good luck!

MattTheHat 08-22-19 06:16 PM

If it’s a faint ticking noise, check that the ends of your shoelaces aren’t slapping the crank. I had that happen once.

MSchott 08-22-19 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by MattTheHat (Post 21088056)
If it’s a faint ticking noise, check that the ends of your shoelaces aren’t slapping the crank. I had that happen once.

Thanks but no shoelaces on my cycling shoes.

MonsterFat 08-22-19 06:58 PM

If you have clipless pedals, check the cleats. Sometimes they loosen. Also, even though you think it's coming from bottom bracket area, check stem, headset and brifter bolts.

MSchott 08-22-19 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by MonsterFat (Post 21088097)
If you have clipless pedals, check the cleats. Sometimes they loosen. Also, even though you think it's coming from bottom bracket area, check stem, headset and brifter bolts.

It doesn’t happen when I coast, only when I’m pedaling. I’ve recently tightened the stem to the bars and the headset was recently repacked. I’m 90% confident it’s in the crank area.

MoAlpha 08-22-19 07:10 PM

Is it a single click or a series?
Is it timelocked to the pedal stroke or variable?
Is it load dependent, and if so, is it with load on one side or both?

I probably won’t have any useful ideas, but these are essential questions.

MSchott 08-22-19 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21088127)
Is it a single click or a series?
Is it timelocked to the pedal stroke or variable?
Is it load dependent, and if so, is it with load on one side or both?

I probably won’t have any useful ideas, but these are essential questions.

Its a few clicks per revolution, it’s not really load dependent but if I focus on a smooth stroke it seems to lessen but not go away. It’s variable to the pedal stroke.

MattTheHat 08-22-19 09:29 PM

Have you checked the torque on the Praxis cranks? The Praxis cranks on my Diverge weren’t tightened to spec (too loose) which also caused some creaking.

MAK 08-22-19 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by tagaproject6 (Post 21087912)
Check the end cable on your FD. Sometimes it sticks out and hits your pedal or your shoe.

Clicking drove me nuts until I realized it was the cable. What made it worse was that there was no problem on the big ring, but clicked on the little ring.

MoAlpha 08-23-19 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by MSchott (Post 21088186)
Its a few clicks per revolution, it’s not really load dependent but if I focus on a smooth stroke it seems to lessen but not go away. It’s variable to the pedal stroke.

Yeah, so not the FD, and probably load dependent. First thing I’d do is remove the rear wheel and lube all the dropout, hub, and skewer/axle surfaces. Then check the chainring bolts, but that won’t be it.

TheGBKid 08-23-19 08:39 AM

Just a random thought as it happened to me...

If you have nuts on the valve stems to hold them in place, make sure they're tight. I had a clicking noise once/twice per revolution that was coming from "somewhere" down and behind my ears. Took 15 minutes on the stand in super quiet garage to locate it. Felt like a tool once I realized how simple it was. A little blue loctite and away I quietly went.

Megiddo 08-23-19 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by TheGBKid (Post 21088784)
Just a random thought as it happened to me...

If you have nuts on the valve stems to hold them in place, make sure they're tight. I had a clicking noise once/twice per revolution that was coming from "somewhere" down and behind my ears. Took 15 minutes on the stand in super quiet garage to locate it. Felt like a tool once I realized how simple it was. A little blue loctite and away I quietly went.

Had the same! I do have BB crank noises I haven't resolved, but definitely my front wheel was making clicking noises. Put those nuts back on and the noise was mostly gone. I've gone tubeless so they are really quiet now. Now to solve the stupid BB noise. ;)

Kimmo 08-23-19 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by MSchott (Post 21088186)

Sounds like maybe seat or seatpost. How much post is in the seat tube? If it extends far below the clamp, trimming it might do the trick.

big john 08-23-19 07:59 PM

Take the cranks off and lube everything in the bb, or have someone do it for you.

sheddle 08-23-19 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by MattTheHat (Post 21088056)

The absolute best was when I had this and it ended up being my multitool clicking against a CO2 canister in my pocket once per pedal rev

MSchott 08-23-19 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Kimmo (Post 21089687)
Sounds like maybe seat or seatpost. How much post is in the seat tube? If it extends far below the clamp, trimming it might do the trick.

Its the OEM seatpost on a frame properly sized for me. I doubt it’s that.

Kimmo 08-23-19 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by MSchott (Post 21089827)
Its the OEM seatpost on a frame properly sized for me. I doubt it’s that.

Could still be that, particularly if there isn't enough grease on the post.

Sy Reene 08-24-19 10:21 AM

I typically recommend doing one leg pedaling (disconnecting one foot from the other pedal completely), then swapping legs. This might at least tell you it's a pedal/cleat vs BB thing.

MSchott 08-31-19 09:07 PM

Here’s an update. I followed most of your suggestions. Tightened the cleats, lubed and tightened the pedals, chainrings and other driveline components. Made sure the FD cable was out of the way. Checked the seatpost and more.

Problem is is still there. It doesn’t show until after about 10 miles but it’s still there. It’s more prominent under heavier load and relatedly up hills. The sound is between a creak and a click and is worse as the load increases like in the big ring, 13 tooth sprocket. Any more thoughts?

Carbonfiberboy 08-31-19 09:21 PM

That's usually spoke crossings. PITA but no harm.