Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Bruce Gordon Rock 'n Road (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1202597)

Germany_chris 05-25-20 03:42 PM

Bruce Gordon Rock 'n Road

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...afc6164aee.jpg

I bought this early 90's Rock 'n Road that was repainted in the late 90's then stored in box until I bought it earlier today. The racks were painted to match the frame, the front is green the rear is the same grey it fades to. It came with two sets of wheels, and a full set of Robert Beckman panniers w/rain covers. I'm in the middle of trying to decide whether to build it myself or give it to the bike shop to be built since the all the mount holes need the threads chased since there's still paint in them

bikemig 05-25-20 03:46 PM

Lovely bike. Can you get a screw to start on the mount holes? If not, I'd buy the tools to chase the threads and do it myself.

Germany_chris 05-25-20 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by bikemig (Post 21496580)
Lovely bike. Can you get a screw to start on the mount holes? If not, I'd buy the tools to chase the threads and do it myself.

I'm going to go to the HW store tomorrow to see if I can find a tap set that has the sizes I need. If I can I'll get all the stainless screws and stuff I need if not it'll go to the local shop but it's classic enough that I'm not exactly sure they'll even want to do it.

cs1 05-25-20 04:33 PM

Very nice bike.

TenGrainBread 05-25-20 04:36 PM

Nice bike. Is this one of the Taiwanese or American Rock n Roads?

Germany_chris 05-25-20 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by TenGrainBread (Post 21496694)
Nice bike. Is this one of the Taiwanese or American Rock n Roads?

It's American made and painted by Spectrum..

Bianchigirll 05-25-20 05:15 PM

You should only need an M5 or a 10-22 tap, they are practically the same, and a handle. Great looking project

dedhed 05-25-20 05:39 PM

If the hardware store doesn't have a tap, a fastener or industrial supply house should. Something along the lines of Fastenal or Grainger here.

Nice bike

The Golden Boy 05-25-20 05:59 PM

Glorious!

Congratulations!!!

mstateglfr 05-25-20 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Germany_chris (Post 21496578)

Really nice looking.
Whats the plan for it- touring? Commuting? Gravel?
Also, how will you shift?...there are downtube cable stops, trp brake levers, and cork in the bars.

Insidious C. 05-25-20 11:38 PM

I'm done with trusting shops to not screw up even a simple job. I vote build it yourself.

Germany_chris 05-26-20 12:43 AM

It'll be a commuter

merziac 05-26-20 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by Germany_chris (Post 21497320)
It'll be a commuter

You mention the shop maybe not even wanting to work on it, this is obviously a red flag and all too common now days.

I would have a very frank discussion with them and be certain they have your best interest in hand. No uhh, we'll give it a shot, do our best, see what we can do, none of that. If they say anything other than "no problem, we've got this" AND your gut fully agrees, they guarantee not to damage it and will fix it if they do then walk away.

This presents an opportunity to go outside your comfort zone and develop/hone a new skill that leads to other skills that will be invaluable going forward.

I would go to the hardware store and get some high quality screws/bolts and either/and/or grind a taper on the starting end and carefully file or cut some slots along at least two sides to make a chaser to clear out the paint.

Tackling tasks like this can develop the skills to do other challenging jobs once you get after it. ;)

Germany_chris 05-26-20 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by merziac (Post 21497339)
You mention the shop maybe not even wanting to work on it, this is obviously a red flag and all too common now days.

I would have a very frank discussion with them and be certain they have your best interest in hand. No uhh, we'll give it a shot, do our best, see what we can do, none of that. If they say anything other than "no problem, we've got this" AND your gut fully agrees, they guarantee not to damage it and will fix it if they do then walk away.

This presents an opportunity to go outside your comfort zone and develop/hone a new skill that leads to other skills that will be invaluable going forward.

I would go to the hardware store and get some high quality screws/bolts and either/and/or grind a taper on the starting end and carefully file or cut some slots along at least two sides to make a chaser to clear out the paint.

Tackling tasks like this can develop the skills to do other challenging jobs once you get after it. ;)

This isn't my first bike build, every bike I've posted here I built but last night I was feeling kinda lazy. I ordered some new Rock 'n Road tires last night so I'll stop by the shop today and get some new cables and a seat post to make it rideable. When The tires get here I'll start measuring for fenders and get those squared away. In the end I just want to be able to ride it right now and that's just not going to happen.

gomango 05-26-20 05:51 AM

Fun project and nice bike.

I had a Taiwanese Rock n Road and I loved it.

I had it built with Shimano XT and way overbuilt 36 spoke wheels.

Needless to say, it was a heavy beast but rode very nicely.

In addition, it was incredibly reliable. I had a combo of Tubus and Nitto racks on it and made three fairly long trips on the bike.

I sold it to a recent college grad that was riding from St. Paul to the West coast.

I never heard from him again after he picked it up.

dedhed 05-26-20 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by merziac (Post 21497339)
I would go to the hardware store and get some high quality screws/bolts and either/and/or grind a taper on the starting end and carefully file or cut some slots along at least two sides to make a chaser to clear out the paint. ;)

I'd just do it right and buy the tap. I can't believe a metric tap wouldn't be on the shelf in a German HW store and not that expensive.
I'd also get a M10x1.0 tap for RD hanger threads as long as I was buying. .

merziac 05-26-20 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by dedhed (Post 21497857)
I'd just do it right and buy the tap. I can't believe a metric tap wouldn't be on the shelf in a German HW store and not that expensive.
I'd also get a M10x1.0 tap for RD hanger threads as long as I was buying. .

Not about the expense, "right" can vary by experience, taps can be too sharp and take off metal when you don't need to making the threads sloppy.

A chaser will clear the paint only and make sure the threads stay sharp.

And you're right, a good tap is a good thing to have, when needed. ;)

merziac 05-26-20 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Germany_chris (Post 21497352)
This isn't my first bike build, every bike I've posted here I built but last night I was feeling kinda lazy. I ordered some new Rock 'n Road tires last night so I'll stop by the shop today and get some new cables and a seat post to make it rideable. When The tires get here I'll start measuring for fenders and get those squared away. In the end I just want to be able to ride it right now and that's just not going to happen.

No worries, just very leery of any shop now days "trying" to dig in if it it's not still solidly in their wheelhouse.

Germany_chris 05-26-20 01:51 PM

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...bf95a7bd46.jpg

Bad picture but it rides..when the new tires get here I'll start to measure for fenders and the like

52telecaster 05-26-20 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Germany_chris (Post 21498308)
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...bf95a7bd46.jpg

Bad picture but it rides..when the new tires get here I'll start to measure for fenders and the like

man that looks nice.

thook 05-27-20 01:10 AM

if all you need is a thread chaser or two to clear paint from threads, an auto parts store should have a kit you can rent with metric and standard. you get your money back when your return the tools

edit: i realize now you're in germany. so, i don't know if you all have the equivalent of US's o'reilly or auto zone, but here the tool rental is available at any of these stores

Kobe 05-27-20 11:14 AM

BG was ahead of his time with the original monster cross. Great looking bike, I bet there are not many in nicer condition.

Germany_chris 06-08-20 12:26 PM

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...566b6b09be.jpg

I finally bought a bunch of seat post shims so now I can make a 26.0 seat post fit, and went to OBI and got an M5 tap and cleaned out most go the threads and got the front rack mounted. I ordered a rack mounting kit last weekend that'll hopefully be here next week so I can get the rear rack mounted and put the daily panniers on the back where I prefer them. Tonight I'll order some VO aluminum fenders and hopefully I can get those mounted before the end of the month.

Last weekend I was doing some late night eBay scanning and got some 10 speed Centaur ergos, those will wait until winter when I pull it form the road so not the question is. I'm not in love with the threaded headset on this bike because the tubing is fairly large so do I inni it and run threadless or keep it the way Bruce built it and run threaded. I know micro adjustments of the threaded are nice and that's a technomic so it's pretty far into the steerer tube so strength and flex are not a thing, but that stem seems "wrong" on such a big tubed bike..

Welcome to my little build thread