Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Uhh, what's a cyclist? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1206659)

rosefarts 07-05-20 12:43 PM

Uhh, what's a cyclist?

Seems to be some confusion about this one.

Is it anyone on a bike, anytime, no matter what?
Is it someone with a bike in their garage/shed/storage, ridden or not?
Is it someone who uses it out of necessity?
Is it a certain amount of miles a year? 5000?1000? 4?

I guess I just don't know.

A car and driver analogy came up. Is everyone who has a car a serious motorist (sorry, don't know the actual name for that). Of course not. Do you have to race a car to be serious though? Hardly.

So where is it for the bike?

I don't think it should be all encompassing. For me, I keep it to those who give a damn.

The bike itself has got to at least be fixable. Meaning, it's worth it to repair things that wear out and things adjusted stay adjusted. If that means bike shop quality or higher, then that's what it means.

You've got to have access to chain lube, and use it when needed. Likewise a pump.

​​​​​You don't have to ride, you set aside time to ride because you want to. Whether that means waking up early to commute or negotiating a Saturday with your spouse. Making time.

You've got to sweat. Sorry, a leisurely drift around the park with a kid on a scooter keeping up just isn't riding. I'm sorry.

So it's a bit limited but hardly exclusive. I won't be calling kids, throngs of commuters in certain countries, and those who ride because they don't have much choice cyclists. You know what though? I doubt those people would call themselves a cyclist.

Its also a pretty slippery slope. It doesn't take long before dude on a bike finds out he loves it, and the miles start adding up, and the bike start getting more appropriate and before you know it, he's shaving his legs and bidding for 70 year old wool jerseys on eBay.

Discuss

General Geoff 07-05-20 12:52 PM

Anyone riding a bike is a cyclist, just as anyone driving a car is a motorist.

Cycling enthusiasts are a much smaller subset of cyclists as a whole, just as car enthusiasts are a small subset of motorists. The only rule to be considered an enthusiast is that you need enthusiasm or passion for it.

AlmostTrick 07-05-20 12:53 PM

I think you're confusing cyclist with elitist.

Juan Foote 07-05-20 12:56 PM

I think there may be some confusion as to the ACT of cycling and being a cyclist. Not the same. Simply using a conveyance of bicycle doesn't instantly make you a cyclist, even though they are cycling.

rosefarts 07-05-20 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Juan Foote (Post 21570597)
I think there may be some confusion as to the ACT of cycling and being a cyclist. Not the same. Simply using a conveyance of bicycle doesn't instantly make you a cyclist, even though they are cycling.

You summed up what I was thinking but more succinctly.

rosefarts 07-05-20 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by AlmostTrick (Post 21570588)
I think you're confusing cyclist with elitist.

Read my proposed definition.

I stopped far short of excluding all but the elite. We all know elite when we see it. I'm not discussing that, since it's pointless.

I like the idea of cyclist vs cycling enthusiast mentioned earlier.

General Geoff 07-05-20 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Juan Foote (Post 21570597)

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dict...earch-dict-box

cy·​clist | \ ˈsī-k(ə-)ləst
Definition of cyclist
: one who rides a cycle
Using a bicycle as a conveyance does, in fact, instantly make you a cyclist.

Reynolds 07-05-20 01:10 PM

As in other matters, self perception also has to do with it IMO.

Juan Foote 07-05-20 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by General Geoff (Post 21570623)
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dict...earch-dict-box

Using a bicycle as a conveyance does, in fact, instantly make you a cyclist.

I am not saying the dictionary is wrong as far as helping define to a point of understanding the meaning of the word. Any CYCLIST will realize there is more to it than JUST riding a bike, regardless of what merriam websters opine is.

General Geoff 07-05-20 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Juan Foote (Post 21570636)
I am not saying the dictionary is wrong as far as helping define to a point of understanding the meaning of the word. Any CYCLIST will realize there is more to it than JUST riding a bike, regardless of what merriam websters opine is.

That sounds like a "No True Scotsman" fallacy.

I am a cycling enthusiast, and I wholly support the Websters definition of cyclist.

rosefarts 07-05-20 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by General Geoff (Post 21570647)
That sounds like a "No True Scotsman" fallacy.

I am a cycling enthusiast, and I wholly support the Websters definition of cyclist.

Stop the dude on a bike and ask him what he considers himself.

indyfabz 07-05-20 01:32 PM

Some people have too much time on their hands and need attention.

billridesbikes 07-05-20 01:34 PM

The problem is we really have only one word in English to describe ‘someone who rides a bike’ and that is ‘cyclist’. Unfortunately that word has developed a somewhat negative connotation of a MAMIL. Most people don’t want to be ‘cyclists’, they just want to ride their bike around.

I think we need a new word for ‘person on a bike’. Just like the car analogy, I don’t consider myself a motorist when I drive my car to the store to get groceries nor do I consider myself a cyclist when I ride my commuter bike to work. I’m just a guy riding to work or guy driving a car. I’m only a cyclist when I dress up in my cycling costume and clip on the racing bike.

The Dutch have wielrenner for someone riding a racing bike and fietser for some riding a sit up bike in normal clothes.

General Geoff 07-05-20 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by rosefarts (Post 21570654)
Stop the dude on a bike and ask him what he considers himself.

self-identification is not required to fit a definition.

shelbyfv 07-05-20 01:46 PM

This thread would be considered beyond lame even in the dead of winter. Here it is July. :foo: The pandemic is destroying all standards.

livedarklions 07-05-20 02:00 PM

I get to do a call-back on my old thread. This is an absolutely true story:

Overheard at the diner

I think this about the 500th thread on this subject, and it's completely pointless.

spelger 07-05-20 02:03 PM

You say tomato i say tomato.

(sounds better when spoken)

wolfchild 07-05-20 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by rosefarts (Post 21570563)
Seems to be some confusion about this one.

Is it anyone on a bike, anytime, no matter what?
Is it someone with a bike in their garage/shed/storage, ridden or not?
Is it someone who uses it out of necessity?
Is it a certain amount of miles a year? 5000?1000? 4?

I guess I just don't know.

A car and driver analogy came up. Is everyone who has a car a serious motorist (sorry, don't know the actual name for that). Of course not. Do you have to race a car to be serious though? Hardly.

So where is it for the bike?

I don't think it should be all encompassing. For me, I keep it to those who give a damn.

The bike itself has got to at least be fixable. Meaning, it's worth it to repair things that wear out and things adjusted stay adjusted. If that means bike shop quality or higher, then that's what it means.

You've got to have access to chain lube, and use it when needed. Likewise a pump.

​​​​​You don't have to ride, you set aside time to ride because you want to. Whether that means waking up early to commute or negotiating a Saturday with your spouse. Making time.

You've got to sweat. Sorry, a leisurely drift around the park with a kid on a scooter keeping up just isn't riding. I'm sorry.

So it's a bit limited but hardly exclusive. I won't be calling kids, throngs of commuters in certain countries, and those who ride because they don't have much choice cyclists. You know what though? I doubt those people would call themselves a cyclist.

Its also a pretty slippery slope. It doesn't take long before dude on a bike finds out he loves it, and the miles start adding up, and the bike start getting more appropriate and before you know it, he's shaving his legs and bidding for 70 year old wool jerseys on eBay.

Discuss

I have 3 different bikes. I commute voluntarily few times per week because I enjoy it, I also ride recreationally, mountain biking, gravel, road....Here is a list of things I don't do: I don't use clipless I prefer platforms. I like both drop bars and flat bars. I don't shave my legs or any other body parts. I don't race. I don't use strava. I don't own any spandex costumes. I don't use carbon bikes I prefer steel and aluminium. I run errands and do some shopping on my bike sometimes. The most miles that I've ever ridden in one year was about 15 000 miles.... Am I a cyclist ??….I'll let you be the judge.

livedarklions 07-05-20 02:05 PM

It's a guy with one eye in the middle of his forehead, amirite?

OldTryGuy 07-05-20 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by shelbyfv (Post 21570711)
This thread would be considered beyond lame even in the dead of winter. Here it is July. :foo: The pandemic is destroying all standards.

Hit the PAUSE button and be transported to a Nature's Way Of LIFE Location >>> COVID-19 NOT ALLOWED!!!!

https://explore.org/livecams/brown-b...SAAEgJN0fD_BwE

livedarklions 07-05-20 02:07 PM

Or is it this?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cichlid

shelbyfv 07-05-20 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by wolfchild (Post 21570739)
I don't own any spandex costumes.

:roflmao: noooooo.....

krecik 07-05-20 02:20 PM

:)

livedarklions 07-05-20 02:42 PM

Is cyclism a pro or anti bicycle rider dogma?

indyfabz 07-05-20 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by spelger (Post 21570738)
You say tomato i say tomato.

(sounds better when spoken)

Let’s call this whole thread off.