Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   MUP Gripes 2019 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1171767)

Teamprovicycle 04-29-19 10:13 PM

MUP Gripes 2019

AAAAH yes its that time of year , when all the fake fitness dweebs come out of their electronic device induced hibernation to pretend to get in shape , and see the outdoors ???
they take to the local "BIKE PATH " to clog it up with all sorts of non BIKE activities and PERSONAL TIME ,
such as , 30 foot dog leash walking , because your dog has to be 30 feet away cross both lanes for it to be consider a humane experience ,
and dont forget entire family on the path 5 wide taking both lanes ,
kiddy slalom sessions , because dodging ninja laser beams is radical !!!
and we cant leave out , the rides the pitch black path with no lights or reflectors ,
the classic ,
head to toe high vis with three tail lights gives you a dirty look for wearing black , but cant handle and up right Schwinn with training wheels lol ,

anyway post all your MUP GRIPES BELOW!!!!

livedarklions 04-29-19 10:24 PM

My gripe is with idiotic posts that complain about kids on bike paths. If you don't want to deal with that, use the street and quit whining.

This isn't the first such thread you've started, and I would hope you had learned by now what the MU in MUP stands for.

GlennR 04-30-19 04:26 AM

^^^^^^^^
This

If the path is too crowded for you... get off it, it's not for you.

downhillmaster 04-30-19 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by livedarklions (Post 20907132)
My gripe is with idiotic posts that complain about kids on bike paths. If you don't want to deal with that, use the street and quit whining.

This isn't the first such thread you've started, and I would hope you had learned by now what the MU in MUP stands for.

This

downhillmaster 04-30-19 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by oldnslow2 (Post 20907266)
^^^^^^^^
This

If the path is too crowded for you... get off it, it's not for you.

And this

PickleRick 04-30-19 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by Teamprovicycle (Post 20907117)

That it's called a MUP!....a MUP is a Masters in Urban Planning, not something you ride your bike on. --- at least in my neck of the woods it is. ;-)

fishboat 04-30-19 05:26 AM

If you feel the need to whine and stamp your feet at every part of life that doesn't conform to "how you think things should be"..then your little rant here is leading you to a long and miserable life.

If the MUP doesn't fit into your world order..then ride the road..you can rant about cars and drivers.

Or move to a less populated environment.

Wileyrat 04-30-19 05:31 AM

I know if I ride on a mup during the weekend, it's going to be a slow cruise, probably with a bit of social interaction. If I want to go, I'll ride after work during the week. If I'm trying for a speed run, I'll ride after work when it's 90ish degrees.

Here, pedestrians and horses have the right of way over bicycles.

Phil_gretz 04-30-19 05:37 AM

In my region, there are so many bike lanes, adequate road shoulders and non-traditional routes that I rarely have to venture onto an MUP. But there are certain terrain and physical obstacles (interstates, rivers, portions of downtown DC) that force me to take a path for a portion of a ride to get from where I am to where I need to be.

Taking a path would be the absolute last resort, though. Let the other people have their fun.

BobbyG 04-30-19 07:17 AM

I didn't know Holden Caulfield biked.

Lemond1985 04-30-19 07:28 AM

"Some day a real rain will come, and wash away all the dog walkers, joggers, smiling well-adjusted nuclear families, fake fitness dweebs, blacked-out riders, and head to toe high vis with three tail lights scumbags."

Rides4Beer 04-30-19 07:29 AM

+1, any time I'm on the MUP, I'm prepared to ride casually, slow down and pass safely, or even...come to a complete stop if needed :eek:

Get over yourself and stay on the road if you can't handle other people enjoying the beautiful weather. Not to mention your elitist attitude towards "fake fitness dweebs", good to know you were born a pro. :rolleyes:

livedarklions 04-30-19 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Wileyrat (Post 20907305)
I know if I ride on a mup during the weekend, it's going to be a slow cruise, probably with a bit of social interaction. If I want to go, I'll ride after work during the week. If I'm trying for a speed run, I'll ride after work when it's 90ish degrees.

Here, pedestrians and horses have the right of way over bicycles.

If I really want an uninterrupted MUP speed run, I'm on the path at 6 a.m. on the weekends. Otherwise, I just expect it's speed up, slow down riding the whole way.

If you ride between towns, there are sections on most MUPs that are almost pedestrian free and you can safely ride like a maniac--things usually bunch up when the MUP is in the center of town or going through a park. Complaining about other people's leisurely behavior there is like complaining there are traffic lights in downtown areas.

TimothyH 04-30-19 07:59 AM

I have no gripes.

The MUP near me is 96 miles long.

https://www.bikeforums.net/southeast...il-photos.html

If I go towards Atlanta there are places to stop, pretty ladies to look at and interesting people to chat with.

If I go towards Alabama there are rock cuts, civil war earthworks, a trestle over a ravine, a tunnel through a mountain and endless, wide open trail where anyone can go as fast as they want without a care.

-Tim-

12boy 04-30-19 08:51 AM

Let people know you are coming up behind them and hopefully they will let you know they heard you. A little common courtesy is a good thing. Having said that I try to be alert when walking and riding because there are those who think they own the road, who don't alert those they pass nor will move over and share the space when passed.

Revoltingest 04-30-19 09:04 AM

Around here the MUPs are so crowded that no one uses them anymore.

fietsbob 04-30-19 09:31 AM

This thread not whiny enough, for you ?

Might be the right time for the OP to take up Sailing ..

livedarklions 04-30-19 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Revoltingest (Post 20907578)

Yogi Lives!

livedarklions 04-30-19 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by fietsbob (Post 20907614)
This thread not whiny enough, for you ?

Wait a second--that thread is complaining about a woman whose dog leash actually crossed the entire ROAD.
There's no way what she did was legal or even remotely reasonable. How does that even remotely compare to complaining about kids riding bikes on bike paths?

sdmc530 04-30-19 10:41 AM

I love the MUP on Monday through Friday...the weekend you stay away from the MUP....then you ride on the road. simple, no issues.

MattTheHat 04-30-19 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Teamprovicycle (Post 20907117)
AAAAH yes its that time of year , when all the fake fitness dweebs come out of their electronic device induced hibernation to pretend to get in shape , and see the outdoors ???
they take to the local "BIKE PATH " to clog it up with all sorts of non BIKE activities and PERSONAL TIME ,
such as , 30 foot dog leash walking , because your dog has to be 30 feet away cross both lanes for it to be consider a humane experience ,
and dont forget entire family on the path 5 wide taking both lanes ,
kiddy slalom sessions , because dodging ninja laser beams is radical !!!
and we cant leave out , the rides the pitch black path with no lights or reflectors ,
the classic ,
head to toe high vis with three tail lights gives you a dirty look for wearing black , but cant handle and up right Schwinn with training wheels lol ,

I'm so guilty I don't even know where to start. Let's see...

1. "fake fitness dweebs"- Guilty. I ride about 150 miles per week (mostly road only), but I'm overweight. And over 50. So yeah, probably fake fitness dweeb.
2. "pretend to get in shape , and see the outdoors" - Guilty and guilty. The whole getting in better shape idea is probably a pipe dream and I am outdoors when I ride.
3. "entire family on the path 5 wide taking both lanes" - Guilty. Not the entire family, but there were 6 of us last night...on the MUP!
4. "no reflectors" - Guilty. Reflectors came off with the dork disk as soon as I got home. I do have front and rear lights, which I use...sometimes.

Several times on the family ride last night I felt guilty because we were riding two AND AT TIMES 3 wide. Imagine! We passed several solo riders going the opposite direction at probably twice our speed. They seemed unfazed by our brazen recklessness.

-Matt (MUP hooligan)

Rootman 04-30-19 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Revoltingest (Post 20907578)

Unfortunately, there's a ring of truth to that in some states, homeless encampments have crowded the MUPs in some areas so badly that users no longer feel comfortable or safe using them.

livedarklions 04-30-19 11:27 AM

Somehow, I don't think this has been the response OP had expected.

deephate 04-30-19 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by livedarklions (Post 20907828)
Somehow, I don't think this has been the response OP had expected.

I think I agree...

Skipjacks 04-30-19 11:55 AM

My biggest complaint about MUP's is the people who think they are god's gift to cycling who are annoyed with anyone under their self assessed skilled level who then come onto message boards and whine about everyone they have decided is beneath them.

You know....in general....no one specific comes to mind.