Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What is the furthest you've walked after a flat or mechanical break down ? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1290589)

jzr756 03-30-24 07:01 AM

What is the furthest you've walked after a flat or mechanical break down ?

And how did you feel physically after the fact? So I've been riding approximately 1 year 4 months to date. My most recent ride at the 52 mile mark. In that time frame I've only experienced a single flat a couple blocks from home. Today, I set out for a 45 mile ride when my luck ran out 13 miles from home totally unprepared forgot to take at least the cell. So, no problem I'll just walk. after a few miles the previously damaged cartilage in my right knee became painful finally ankle's, feet ,every thing. 3 blocks from home I literally was unable to walk. Finally thank goodness 8 hours later the wife pulls up. Anyone else care to share their stories?? Edit: I later heard my AAA card would've covered it. Edit: sorry for the typo in the title "IS" as opposed "IN".

10 Wheels 03-30-24 07:06 AM

I carry 5 Tubes and one spare tire.
2,000 mile month
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...d6b9b178df.jpg

Desert Ryder 03-30-24 07:19 AM

I once had to walk almost 8 miles due to a flat tire. All along a busy road shoulder. This was long ago when I used to ride all over creation without even a patch kit. No cell phones.
I felt fine. I found a few things like tools and toys along the roadside on the walk home. It kept me busy and entertained on the long walk.

jzr756 03-30-24 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by 10 Wheels (Post 23199714)
2,000 mile month

Now that's "uber" prepared. 2k /mo? Awsome! I'm a beginner @ 68 y/o a little over 500 miles /mo

cb400bill 03-30-24 07:43 AM

My only "Walk of Shame" was early on in my return to cycling. It was only about a mile. NBD.

By the way, I fixed your thread title typo.

jzr756 03-30-24 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by cb400bill (Post 23199744)
My only "Walk of Shame" was early on in my return to cycling. It was only about a mile. NBD.

By the way, I fixed your thread title typo.

Thanks!

CrimsonEclipse 03-30-24 07:52 AM

5 miles while bleeding
The steel rod that punctured my tire swing around the cut my calf.
Somehow forgot my repair kit that day.
Right through the side wall barely missing the tire liner (I don't use those anymore)

CAT7RDR 03-30-24 07:56 AM

Maybe a mile in SPD MTB shoes just because I was so close to home and I wanted to sit rather than kneel on a sidewalk.

If out in the mountains where no rescue is possible and a walk-a-bike would be for hours, I will bring 2 spare tubes, tire boots, a patch kit and even a spare used tire, folded up and taped to my top tube.

Once broke a chain and did not have a chain link five miles from home. I was able to coast down hill 4 of the 5 miles back home.

Outrider1 03-30-24 08:08 AM

13 miles from home totally unprepared forgot to take at least the cell. So, no problem I'll just walk.
:D

Steve B. 03-30-24 08:26 AM

About 7 miles in a mt bike ride when I first got into the sport, carried no spare stuff or tools. Broke a chain. Ditched the bike off the trail and ran/fast walked back to the car, as it was getting dark. Had a hard time finding the bike in the dark woods.

Chuck M 03-30-24 08:31 AM

If I recall 5 miles. I had a meeting close to a rails to trail and it was going to be an unseasonably warm November day. I put a bike on the rack and forgot my saddle pack and mini pump. But it was a vintage bike with toe straps and cages and I was wearing an old pair of Brooks that was retired from running so I didn't have to waddle in cleats.

Still a good day, just not as good as it could have been.

Rick 03-30-24 08:38 AM

It was 1980 and I had left Fort Ord on leave headed toward my dad's place in West Covina. I snapped a pedal spindle and had to back track several miles to a bicycle shop.

WaveyGravey 03-30-24 08:50 AM

I always have my cell phone with me and fortunately could call for someone to rescue me. But, I make sure to bring along a pack with everything necessary to replace a tube and get back home.

Wileyrat 03-30-24 09:34 AM

In the pre cell phone days, I tacoed my front wheel in a crash, and walked about two miles to a pay phone while carrying my bike on my shoulder.

rsbob 03-30-24 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by 10 Wheels (Post 23199714)
2,000 mile month

You certainly didn’t disappoint with your reply.

rsbob 03-30-24 09:54 AM

Less than a 10th of a mile when my mtb had a rear flat, and I was almost home. This was in the pre-tubeless era and didn’t feel like doing a tire off flat repair on the trail.

katsup 03-30-24 10:09 AM

The most I have walked was only about half a mile, usually cause I was almost home and too lazy to repair vs just walking home. I've always carried a repair kit and have gotten my bike running, even if I had to limp home due to a damaged tire. I have called to get picked up once when I forgot to put a new tube back in my saddle bag. I had a patch kit, but failed. When I got home, I realized the stick that pierced my tire went through both sides of the tube and I had only patched one.

ScottCommutes 03-30-24 10:12 AM

I think the longest I've walked was about two miles with a flat tire because I didn't feel like dealing with it on the side of the road. I have gone much further on a broken bike - no seat, no chain, no brakes, no shifting, broken spoke, no crank, slow flat, etc. I always carry a lock so if it comes to it I could lock the bike up and walk home.

genejockey 03-30-24 10:38 AM

2 miles, back before cell phones, when the spare tube I'd used to replace the tube that got a hole in it got a hole in it. This was from a cut in the tire, and I didn't carry anything to make a boot. After that, I started carrying two tubes, a glueless patch kit, a Clif Bar (wrapper could serve as boot) and a $5 bill.

Iride01 03-30-24 10:59 AM

Three miles. I'm glad I don't take the entire shop with me when I ride. It makes carrying the bike easier with it slung on my shoulder. For a ripped tire that a boot wouldn't even fix, they don't roll too well. I've done it several times. But the others were within two miles of the house.

I only do same day trips. If I was going to be out for multiple days at a time, I'd carry more tools with. But for now, it's just a few hex keys, screw driver, new tube, inflator and tire lever. Oh, and a key to get in the house!

BkSaGo 03-30-24 11:16 AM

About a mile. Flatted near the end of a road ride. Usually would have put in my spare tube, but it had been in my seat bag for so long it had split at a fold. Had a patch kit but just did feel like patching. Took the cleats off my shoes (always carry that Allen wrench) and walked it home.

kcjc 03-30-24 11:43 AM

I've been lucky. The furthest is to the side of the road and in the shade, preferably. I started carrying a tube, a patch kit, and a pump as soon as I could afford them starting when I was 16ish. The only time I would have needed to walk over 15 miles back to the car on a bike trail was when my chain broke, but another cyclist stopped by with a chain breaker. Now I have an emergency kit containing two tubes, a CO2 kit, a patch kit, a multitool w/chain breaker, quick links, some cash, and a frame pump on each of my five bikes.

jzr756 03-30-24 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Wileyrat (Post 23199849)
In the pre cell phone days, I tacoed my front wheel in a crash, and walked about two miles to a pay phone while carrying my bike on my shoulder.

Oh my! sounds similar . In a crash the rear derailleur tightly lodged into the rear spokes.At the moment, I couldn't figure out the tension of the spokes kept it seized in place , had no choice but to throw the bike on my shoulder and start walking up and down a grade. Unbeknown to me at the time, an exceptionally good samaritan cyclist awhile back spotted me turned all the way back to help. Managed to figure spoke tension was the problem. As I held the front end he managed to stretch the spokes and pry loose the rear derailleur. set it up to ride single speed. Thanked him profusely .renewed my faith exceptional people still exist.

zandoval 03-30-24 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by jzr756 (Post 23199712)
...thank goodness 8 hours later the wife pulls up...

Bravo the Misses!

For me only about 5 miles. Once I got to the road I had plenty of help. But this incedent just goes to show how important that Pre-Flight check list gets as we get older. Hope the best for that knee...

jzr756 03-30-24 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by kcjc (Post 23199973)
I've been lucky. The furthest is to the side of the road and in the shade, preferably. I started carrying a tube, a patch kit, and a pump as soon as I could afford them starting when I was 16ish. The only time I would have needed to walk over 15 miles back to the car on a bike trail was when my chain broke, but another cyclist stopped by with a chain breaker. Now I have an emergency kit containing two tubes, a CO2 kit, a patch kit, a multitool w/chain breaker, quick links, some cash, and a frame pump on each of my five bikes.

Sounds like an excellent list of Items!