Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=210)
-   -   Training with a powermeter (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1020945)

WhatsYoCadence 07-27-15 03:02 PM

Training with a powermeter

So I'm about to have a powermeter on my track bike. I'm wondering How I can use it to help my training to most.
Ideally I'd like to get it to say the highest number I can get it to. I'm training for sprints.

carleton 07-27-15 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by WhatsYoCadence (Post 18018906)
So I'm about to have a powermeter on my track bike. I'm wondering How I can use it to help my training to most.
Ideally I'd like to get it to say the highest number I can get it to. I'm training for sprints.

[Below is just 1 man's opinion! I've owned 3 power meters (2 SRM and 1 PowerTap). Other sprinters love their power meters.]

1) If you don't know why you are getting a power meter, then you may not need one. (Not trying to be rude. I bought several and didn't need them.)

2) Power meters are great for measuring pursuit efforts and holding under threshold in order not to pop. For sprinting, to me, they are most useful as a "fatigue meter". Basically, you know what numbers you should be hitting for certain efforts. When you don't hit those numbers, maybe something is wrong (you are done for the day meaning no more good efforts in you, sickness coming, over-training, bad technique, etc...)

EDIT:

3) Also some coaches require their athletes to have power meters on their road and track bikes and they log all efforts (even trainer work). I think they do this mainly to accurately keep tabs on training volume.

So, my point is, if you are going to be diligent about crunching the numbers, then it may be a useful tool for you.

gtrob 07-27-15 05:22 PM

Agree with the above. Its like buying a stop watch, how would you use it to make it show the lowest numbers on a particular effort? Well you can track your progress with it, make changes to your training program and see how it effects it. A power meter is just with less variables, especially on outdoor tracks.

It also makes for a good fatigue monitor, as you get a lot of data you get familiar with your numbers at various times and can quickly tell when something is off. It also helps when you get poor conditions and your times worsen but your power is on track, to not feel like you are crap :)

carleton 07-27-15 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by gtrob (Post 18019274)
It also helps when you get poor conditions and your times worsen but your power is on track, to not feel like you are crap :)

YES! This is a point that I forgot.

If you ride a flying 200M that's 0.5s slower than you expected, you are gonna be bummed. But, if you see that your numbers are the same (or higher) then maybe it was your line or wind. Those are easier to fix than re-doing 6 months of training :D

WhatsYoCadence 09-01-15 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by carleton (Post 18019671)
YES! This is a point that I forgot.

If you ride a flying 200M that's 0.5s slower than you expected, you are gonna be bummed. But, if you see that your numbers are the same (or higher) then maybe it was your line or wind. Those are easier to fix than re-doing 6 months of training :D

Interesting.. interesting. I see how that works. Well I've officially bought it and it'll have a tire around it in no time. Thanks for your advice guys!

tonski 09-21-15 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by WhatsYoCadence (Post 18128510)
Interesting.. interesting. I see how that works. Well I've officially bought it and it'll have a tire around it in no time. Thanks for your advice guys!

What did you buy? I'm looking at the Power2Max Rotor crank ..

queerpunk 09-21-15 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by WhatsYoCadence (Post 18018906)

Buy "Training and Racing With A Power Meter." And read it. :thumb:

gtrob 09-21-15 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by tonski (Post 18181321)
What did you buy? I'm looking at the Power2Max Rotor crank ..

Ive had one for a year now and very happy with it. Price is good, ill probably buy another for my road bike once the CDN dollar comes back.

only issue Ive had is at extreme g-forces it cuts out (50kmh+ on a 138m track). Never been an issue on bigger tracks. Battery lasts forever. Wish it had a higher sample rate but thats standard for this price range.

tonski 09-30-15 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by gtrob (Post 18181846)
Ive had one for a year now and very happy with it. Price is good, ill probably buy another for my road bike once the CDN dollar comes back.

only issue Ive had is at extreme g-forces it cuts out (50kmh+ on a 138m track). Never been an issue on bigger tracks. Battery lasts forever. Wish it had a higher sample rate but thats standard for this price range.

Glad to hear it. I just got the rotor on the ritte yesterday

jhdoucette 08-28-16 11:46 PM

New track power meter

I see that http://www.vervecycling.com is developing a track specific power meter

carleton 08-29-16 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by jhdoucette (Post 19017900)
I see that Power Meters Australia | Bicycle Power Crank ? Verve Cycling is developing a track specific power meter

Looks interesting. I like their sampling rate.

What concerns me is that they've milled out the middle of the crank arm to put in the sensors. I think the bigger guys would have confidence if they published the amount of force it takes to snap one of these:

http://www.vervecycling.com/wp-conte...ccuracyWeb.jpg

carleton 08-29-16 03:30 PM

Also, there is mention of a track crank in the comparison chart, but no mention or pics anywhere else on the site. So, I'm inclined to think it doesn't exist yet for track.