Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=231)
-   -   Neat multi-port USB charger recommendation? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1190800)

tomgdaly 12-28-19 02:13 PM

Neat multi-port USB charger recommendation?

Can anyone give me a recommendation for a small, good quality multi-port USB charger (say 4 ports) with a high charging output per port?
I’m talking about a 220v plug-into-the-wall type, with European and UK adapters. I’ve seen ‘Anker PowerPort4’ recommended, but these seem to come in various capacities and I just don’t know anything about that stuff.

CliffordK 12-28-19 02:17 PM

I've found a couple of 110V USB chargers. The first one had an issue that it would start fine, then shut off when it deemed that no charge was necessary... which was bad when say trickle charging a phone, or some devices that had small batteries/draw.

The second one didn't have that issue. I haven't been using it as much lately... so I'll hunt it down later today.

Ahhh... wait, do you use 220V? There should be some direct wall plug-in types. But, a transformer charger might be easier.

unterhausen 12-28-19 03:23 PM

the multi-port usb charger I bought here in the U.S. works fine on 220v, just need an adapter for the plug. It says it's multi-voltage on the back, just like most usb chargers. I was a little scared to plug it in at first though :)
Not sure I would recommend it, because I think they were discontinuing it.

znomit 12-28-19 04:41 PM

I got this for Anker 5 port (1 USB C for future proofing). Mainly for rando rides when I come in at 3am and need to charge lights/phone/gps all at once.

You can get international cables as needed.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072K5ZJXF/

adamrice 01-08-20 01:45 PM

Look for a GaN (gallium nitride) charger. There's a kickstarter going for one right now that will deliver a total of 100 W through 4 ports, but there are a number of smaller chargers you can buy right now that would be more than adequate for charging bike computers, lights, phones. The Anker powerport is probably a good deal.

If you're buying new gadgets, look for ones that can be charged by USB-C with power delivery (PD). Aside from having a less annoying connector, these can take more power and can therefore charge faster—these are still fairly uncommon, but that will change. And of course, look for a charger with USB-C PD ports.

Tandem Tom 01-09-20 07:41 AM

We have the 4 port Anker and it works great! We use it here and while traveling in Europe. We do have the converter plugs,cheap ones, to use while overseas.

joewein 01-10-20 01:06 AM

If your phone uses a USB-C connector (or a Lightning connector), a charger with a USB-C port is best. To support fast charging it should support USB-PD (power delivery). For iPhone's there are USB-C to Lightning conversion cables.

Some A/C adapters also support Qualcom QuickCharge (QC), an earlier standard that also allows fast charging, but not all phones that support some kind of fast charging can take advantage of QC. Anker has something called PowerIQ which is similar to Qualcom QC. PowerIQ adapters generally support charging up to 12 W (2.4 A at 5 V, the maximum in older iPhones).

As the more open standard, USB-PD is the safer, more future-proof bet. With it, modern phones can draw as much as 15-18 W (e.g. 5 V / 3 A, 9 V / 2 A). It works with all the latest iPhones and recent Google Pixel models (the latter don't support QC -- USB-PD only!).

If you want to grab the most amount of juice during the least amount of time, having a USB battery that can be quick charged with a USB-PD charger, independently of other devices you may also be charging, is great. Then you can always charge other devices from this later.The speed at which a battery takes in charge is limited both by the charging standard and by the battery capacity. Generally a larger battery can be charged with a stronger current (more mA), allowing it to take in more mAh in a given time, but this is also limited by the charging standard (USB, USB+QC, USB-PD) that dictates input voltages and maximum charging currents (e.g.: 5 V / 500 mA = 2.5 W, 5 V / 1 A = 5 W, 5 V / 2.4 A = 12 W, 5 V / 3 A = 25, 9 V / 2 A = 18 W). Having lots of low-power charging ports on an A/C charger becomes less important if you can always top up from a big USB battery which in turn can be quick charged.

Multi-voltage input (100-240 V, 50/60 Hz) can be taken virtually for granted for USB chargers and other mobile device power adapters such as laptop A/C adapters. Only a physical plug adapter should be needed for such units to make them work worldwide.

CliffordK 02-10-20 11:30 PM

I was at the building supply store the other day, and they had 110V outlets, either:
Two 110V, Two USV
or
Four USV, No 110V

I think I've seen similar setups in hotels.

Anyway, if you have a place, say on your kitchen counter that you like, you could swap a plug.

unterhausen 02-11-20 07:33 AM

I have about 8 of those outlets at our house. Sure would be nice if they were more common at hotels. The hotels that I stay at often don't have convenient outlets

Tourist in MSN 02-11-20 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by unterhausen (Post 21323252)
I have about 8 of those outlets at our house. Sure would be nice if they were more common at hotels. The hotels that I stay at often don't have convenient outlets

And when in Europe, they often only have one place to plug into. I got so tired of having my USA charger fall out of the USA to EU plug adapter, I finally bought a charger with an EU plug for those rare times I go there.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...ef61043918.jpg