Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=220)
-   -   Pub 51 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=876247)

CbadRider 03-05-13 08:31 PM

Pub 51

The Road forum has the Addiction thread. Foo has Whatcha Doin'. SS/FG and Road Racing have similar threads. This is the 50+ thread for chitchat, where you can just hang out with your friends and talk about whatever is going on in your life or whatever topics are of interest. The only exception is overtly political stuff, which belongs in P&R.

Chat away!

no1mad 03-05-13 08:55 PM

I've got less than a decade before I officially join the ranks here- though my beard was turning gray the same time I could legally rent a car :(.

CbadRider 03-05-13 08:57 PM

BTW, the name of this thread can be changed to something that appeals to everyone.

An early suggestion is the "Get Off My Lawn!" thread.

Siu Blue Wind 03-05-13 09:01 PM

"Life in its Prime"?

Siu Blue Wind 03-05-13 09:02 PM

*sigh* Only blue stars in here. Methinks nobody wants this. :notamused: Hey, we tried!! :o

jdon 03-05-13 09:17 PM

Suddenly I feel like I am in a retirement home and the caregivers are trying to get us to square dance...

miss kenton 03-05-13 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by jdon (Post 15349962)
Suddenly I feel like I am in a retirement home and the caregivers are trying to get us to square dance...

:roflmao2::roflmao2::roflmao2:

CbadRider 03-05-13 09:25 PM

Suddenly I feel like I am in a retirement home and the caretakers are trying to get us to square dance...

The threads that were causing issues are those where people just wanted to post about stuff that's going on in their lives. They wanted the camaraderie of 50+ but the threads weren't cycling related.

This is the place for those topics. Talk about your grandkids, how you're going nuts being stuck indoors during winter, what kind of pie works best as a recovery food, or how you can't wait until you can quit your job and retire. All of that stuff can stay in this thread and it won't get moved to another forum.

CbadRider 03-05-13 09:26 PM

:innocent:

jdon 03-05-13 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by CbadRider (Post 15350005)
The threads that were causing issues are those where people just wanted to post about stuff that's going on in their lives. They wanted the camaraderie of 50+ but the threads weren't cycling related.

This is the place for those topics. Talk about your grandkids, how you're going nuts being stuck indoors during winter, what kind of pie works best as a recovery food, or how you can't wait until you can quit your job and retire. All of that stuff can stay in this thread and it won't get moved to another forum.

I appreciate what you are all doing but I think I will sit this dance out. Time for my night meds and bed.

CbadRider 03-05-13 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by jdon (Post 15350031)
I appreciate what you are all doing but I think I will sit this dance out. Time for my night meds and bed.

There's always tomorrow. :)

Dudelsack 03-05-13 09:51 PM

There is a song that is so annoying and obnoxious that my son threatened me with bodily damage (well not really, but he didn't like it) if I ever played it in his presence again. I've never met anyone who can get half-way through it without trying to gouge out their eardrums with a sharp object.

The song: "I'm so cute" by Frank Zappa, from his Sheik Yerbouti album.

It only made sense that I should do a cover.

Instead of any number of things I need to be doing, I just recorded the first eighth of the song on my GarageBand for iPad. I'm going to use chipmunk voices for the chorus, and for the solos also. My own voice sounds a bit like Zappa's, so I figure I have his lines covered pretty well. When it's done, I'll post it to Soundcloud.

Then I'll be arrested and shipped down to Gitmo. I'll keep you posted.

nkfrench 03-05-13 10:02 PM

Maybe call this the "50+ I like pie and my prostate is huge" thread ?
:)

BillyD 03-05-13 10:03 PM

Hey fellas, I changed the name to Pub 51 for the time being, because I'm old too and I got to get to bed, and I wouldn't have slept well with a thread name like "ChitChat".

If a majority express a consensus on a better name I'll be happy to make the change, but the polls close at 11pm tomorrow (Wednesday) night for any changes. Agreed?

Biker395 03-05-13 10:05 PM

I had something interesting to say, but I forgot it! :50:

Esteban58 03-05-13 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind (Post 15349895)
*sigh* Only blue stars in here. Methinks nobody wants this. :notamused: Hey, we tried!! :o

Well, ya gotta give us time to check things out, it's like rearranging the chairs at the corner bar.

Hermes 03-05-13 10:11 PM

wphamilton 03-05-13 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Hermes (Post 15350170)

In before the move? IBTM

Mobile 155 03-05-13 10:26 PM

All I want to know is where ar the salt and Vinager chips?

JanMM 03-05-13 10:29 PM

How about that cane that stays upright when you let go to reach up to the top shelf for the Ensure? Or was that Gatorade? Stout?

gcottay 03-05-13 10:30 PM

Thanks for helping us start an off topic thread. We tried and tried but obviously failed.

I'll be crossing the road tomorrow morning. Is anyone available to stop traffic?

jon c. 03-05-13 10:40 PM

stuff that's going on in their lives.

That might disqualify me from participation.

(BTW, I sort of like the name and I don't even drink anymore.)

CB HI 03-05-13 11:46 PM

Me too. And now they want to take away our pie.

Originally Posted by CbadRider (Post 15350005)
This is the place for those topics. what kind of pie works best as a recovery food,

Is not recovery food cycling related.

Road Fan 03-06-13 05:46 AM

I guess this isn't the place to ask how to best pin up my Depends when I use a Brooks saddle, with pics? That'd be too much cycling content?

Honestly, if the Mods want to stuff all the non-bikie stuff in a little box, it needs to be a forum. Individual inputs become conversations, not sequences of random emissions. If they think one can have satisfying conversations in a multi-page thread where nobody can maintain any continuity because of lack of subthreading, this will be it.

Just consider the practicalities of human communication.

I also have the Assisted Living feeling in here. I don't like it, as funny as the concept is.

bruce19 03-06-13 06:08 AM

I see 50+ as a community of people who have at least two things that draw them here....cycling and a certain place in life we call "age." It doesn't bother me to have people discuss subjects like grand-kids, relationships, art, music, etc. If I was having a gathering of friends at my house it wouldn't occur to me to say "Anyone who wants to discuss anything other than our common interests will have to take it into the kitchen." Now I realize that this isn't my "house" but when you have the option to avoid any topic that doesn't interest you simply by not clicking on the thread why not just do that at your discretion? If I were a Mod (God help me) my line would be drawn with personal attacks not with thread topics. Just sayin'.