Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Commuting (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   What do you shave with? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=945940)

jrickards 05-02-14 07:30 AM

What do you shave with?

Just curious as to what bike commuters use to shave with. Although this poll is focused on face-shaving by men, women can respond as well.

I got to thinking that perhaps some of us bike to work in part because biking reminds us of older simpler times and if that thought process also translates into the type of razor they use.

Me: double-edge safety razor or straight razor depending on how I feel.

ill.clyde 05-02-14 07:34 AM

+1 on double edge safety razors :)

I started DE shaving back in Feb ... and currently have a Merkur 34C at home, and a '73 Gillette Tech (my birth year) in my dopp kit at work for when I commute. I had a EJ DE86BL but I gave it to my son who recently started shaving.

I love it ... love the routine and the ritual of it. It's very centering.

Walter S 05-02-14 07:35 AM

I don't. I just skirt the edge of my beard with an electric trimmer and let my freak flag fly :)

jrickards 05-02-14 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by ill.clyde (Post 16721252)
+1 on double edge safety razors :)

I started DE shaving back in Feb ... and currently have a Merkur 34C at home, and a '73 Gillette Tech (my birth year) in my dopp kit at work for when I commute. I had a EJ DE86BL but I gave it to my son who recently started shaving.

I love it ... love the routine and the ritual of it. It's very centering.

I have the same Merkur as well as a travelling Gillette given to me by my dad. I have purchased 2 DE razors for each of my sons and a Lady Gillette for my wife, we all like them. My straight is just a cheap Parker with a replaceable 1/2 blade; I can't justify the hundreds for a full-on straight along with the equipment to keep it sharp.

Update: I forgot that I trim my Van**** (LOL, the automatic filter won't allow me to split that word into the 2 parts) with a trimmer but I don't really consider that shaving because I also use the trimmer to cut my own hair (by hair, it is almost accurate to use "hair" in the singular sense).

DBA 05-02-14 07:39 AM

double edge safety razor.....at night. I wear a 5 o'clock shadow during the day.

Pliny the Elder 05-02-14 07:45 AM

I just trim the edges of my beard right now, it's hockey playoffs so my playoff beard is still going.

Bug Shield 05-02-14 07:47 AM

DE since about Thanksgiving but I think your poll will be skewed because only people who are doing something interesting will be inclined to answer.

wphamilton 05-02-14 07:48 AM

You're not talking about shaving legs are you? I just want that clarified first ... but your poll left out the most logical choice, single blade disposables. Most logical because cheapest. Shaving is an unpleasant chore no matter what, unfortunately required if you don't want the beard, so I personally won't spend any more money on it than I have to, nor time and energy. Cheap blades, cheap cream or even soap, get it over with fast and done until the next day.

jrickards 05-02-14 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by wphamilton (Post 16721292)
You're not talking about shaving legs are you? I just want that clarified first ... but your poll left out the most logical choice, single blade disposables. Most logical because cheapest. Shaving is an unpleasant chore no matter what, unfortunately required if you don't want the beard, so I personally won't spend any more money on it than I have to, nor time and energy. Cheap blades, cheap cream or even soap, get it over with fast and done until the next day.

Hmmm, didn't know about single blade disposables, the only ones I've seen (noticed?) are double-bladed.

Cheapest? Maybe over the short term but I have a very nice Sabi DE razor (I got for $20 but it is now $25) and I shave with blades that are often 15¢ ea and can get 5-6 shaves (about 2 weeks) out of each so over a year, the initial cost was about $24 ($20 + 26 x $0.15) and since the razor is strong, I can expect to get 10-20yrs out of it unless it gets lost or dropped and therefore following years amount to about $4/yr.

wphamilton 05-02-14 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by jrickards (Post 16721368)
Hmmm, didn't know about single blade disposables, the only ones I've seen (noticed?) are double-bladed.

Cheapest? Maybe over the short term but I have a very nice Sabi DE razor (I got for $20 but it is now $25) and I shave with blades that are often 15¢ ea and can get 5-6 shaves (about 2 weeks) out of each so over a year, the initial cost was about $24 ($20 + 26 x $0.15) and since the razor is strong, I can expect to get 10-20yrs out of it unless it gets lost or dropped and therefore following years amount to about $4/yr.

That 15 cents is cheaper than disposable twin blades (~19 cents) but you can find better prices on the single blade disposables. Going cheap, I say go all the way cheap and I feel no difference in any kind of blade after the first couple of shaves. Except that double blades are harder to wash out if you use soap.

Baboo 05-02-14 08:36 AM

Interesting to know that over 50 percent of us shave with DE razors. I am 69 and shaved with these for many years before the multi bladed razors came on the scene. I sure wouldn't try one again.

Just sayin
Allen

spivonious 05-02-14 08:39 AM

I use one of the multi-blade razors with a pivoting head. I tried the cheap disposables and they cut up my face. I got a shave at a barber shop with a straight razor once, and it was awesome, but I don't want to put in the time every morning.

vzwire 05-02-14 08:46 AM

Dollar Shave Club... No kidding. I get the mid range blades shipped to my door- for 6 bucks a month. Super cheap, and zero complaints on quality. - true testimonial here... I am not affiliated in any way with the product.

Go go ahead and go to their site now. You have nothing to lose.

/end thread

ill.clyde 05-02-14 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Pliny the Elder (Post 16721283)
I just trim the edges of my beard right now, it's hockey playoffs so my playoff beard is still going.

Go Hawks!

BobbyG 05-02-14 09:11 AM

I've got a beard. A Norelco Triple-Header Electric for my neck and top of my head. Gillette Twin-blade disposables for above my mustach and under my nose. But even when I was shaving my whole face I haven't used shaving cream for 25 years...soap (especially liquid soap) works just fine (for me).

LordMarv 05-02-14 10:05 AM

Years ago, say around 1993, I was living and working in Colorado Springs, I found a new in the original box Gillette DE safety razor from the 1960's in a vintage shop, bought it, best shave I've ever had...I've been using that same razor daily since 1993!

DiabloScott 05-02-14 10:11 AM

I bought a Norelco in February when the California drought talk got serious. I've had electrics before but couldn't get used to them, this one is really nice and I've figured out how to use it without getting the serious burn I had with others. Now I shave while walking around the house in my underwear, making coffee, checking the news, etc.

Bonus, it comes with a cleaner/charger base so absolutely no hassle.

fietsbob 05-02-14 10:21 AM

Now that the little bit of stubble look is hip, Wahl clippers made for the purpose, keep the grey whiskers down to a reasonable level

but I dont bother with the clean shaven thing anymore .. old and not working much ..

I got a 2 rotor Phillips shaver in NL that runs off 2 AA, while Bike touring, 20+ years ago,

(I had a battery 'Norelco', Ie Phillips export one ,

that was nicked from someone pilfering my stuff in the left luggage room at the Vondelpark Hostel)

Mark Stone 05-02-14 10:24 AM

Electric.

mconlonx 05-02-14 10:29 AM

When I shave, I use some kind of modern multiblade wonder-razor. Mach 3 I think?

Right now, I'm curating a beard, so I use a trimmer to keep it groomed, razor to define the edges -- cheeks and neck. About once a week.

DE safety razors are for steel-bike-riding fans of Grant Petersen. Go for it, if that's your thing.

jrickards 05-02-14 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by mconlonx (Post 16721846)
DE safety razors are for steel-bike-riding fans of Grant Petersen. Go for it, if that's your thing.

... and straights are for riders for fixies without brakes? :lol:

ill.clyde 05-02-14 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by mconlonx (Post 16721846)

whoa whoa whoa ... I'll have you know all three of my bikes are aluminum! and I don't know who Grant Petersen is ;)

alan s 05-02-14 11:37 AM

I don't shave my bike. What a weird poll.

DBA 05-02-14 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by alan s (Post 16722117)
I don't shave my bike. What a weird poll.

So, you like 'em hairy?

alan s 05-02-14 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by DBA (Post 16722388)
So, you like 'em hairy?

I have the hairless breed.